Dinner attire - men/boys in nice shorts?

Houstonmom1

Here is the copy of the letter. Says nothing about status. This was for September 25th, 2016 Enchantment 4 night cruise out of Miami.

727726f8988939bac59c31a8385a6a4f.jpg

Above image a bit blurry. Try a different resolution.

dabf7084c52e0d5a44a66e038586acb9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That letter is only a suggestion. And I think comparing dress guidelines to that letter is comparing apples and oranges. And we know that Royal will let you board before or after the time they suggest.

As far as the dress guidelines I don't care what others wear, I don't care if people wear shorts to dinner. Those who want to wear shorts might care if the cruise line does not let them in the dining room. So having extensively cruised on Royal Caribbean I know that Royal will let passengers wearing shorts into the dining room at dinner. I have had dinner mates wearing shorts. I have seen a lot wearing shorts. On the other hand if the question had been about Celebrity which I also cruise a lot, I have never had dinner mates wearing shorts. Every rare now and then I have seen someone wearing shorts at dinner but I think they got in unnoticed since I have seen them turn away passengers with shorts. As far as I am concerned despite what each cruise lines says, what they do is what matters. But I don't care what they do, allow or not allow shorts or if they enforce or don't enforce allowing shorts. I don't see it as being important to me. I won't stress out about something so insignificant.

You know believe it or not some people just follow the rules.... I did get a speeding ticket once [emoji6] that was in the early 80's when thought I needed to be in a hurry.

But how many times have you driven faster then the posted speed limit? Breaking rules is not just about being caught!:D

But how many times have you driven faster then the posted speed limit? Breaking rules is not just about being caught!:D

I have cruise control for a very good reason, just as there are "rules" and there are "suggestions". I think possibly you need to take your coffee, head over to the closest mirror and take a good look [emoji102].

Have a great day, I have a dog who wants a walk! (And before you go there, yes I clean up after my Shih Tzu ).

Safe journey all :)

That letter is only a suggestion. And I think comparing dress guidelines to that letter is comparing apples and oranges. And we know that Royal will let you board before or after the time they suggest.

As far as the dress guidelines I don't care what others wear, I don't care if people wear shorts to dinner.

But I don't care what they do, allow or not allow shorts or if they enforce or don't enforce allowing shorts. I don't see it as being important to me. I won't stress out about something so insignificant.

Thanks. I am glad you don't let what others wear bother you. I also feel the same way but do wear pants/slacks to the MDR for dinner.

However, dress codes are suggestions. The letter from Royal to board by certain times is a REQUEST. Look up the definition of to ask. The letter says "we kindly ask". Exception to this is the dress code for the SL on Formal Nights were Shorts are PROHIBITED (not enforced).

There is a difference in a suggestion and a REQUEST.

I think possibly you need to take your coffee, head over to the closest mirror and take a good look.

That's one thing that we actually might agree on. It is good for everyone to "head over to the closest mirror and take a good look."

So when you get back from your walk you might want head over to the mirror too.

That's one thing that we actually might agree on. It is good for everyone to "head over to the closest mirror and take a good look."

No thank you, my mom seems to be looking back at me! Not sure how that happened :(

Be nice... no personal attacks.

I enjoy stirring the pot so to speak. Aggravate people a bit but try to avoid a personal attack unless it is against the MODS for deleting my posts and a reprimand. Lol. I am on their watch list. Can't say certain words like F@¥ and M&€A ...

Thanks. I am glad you don't let what others wear bother you. I also feel the same way but do wear pants/slacks to the MDR for dinner.

However, dress codes are suggestions. The letter from Royal to board by certain times is a REQUEST. Look up the definition of to ask. The letter says "we kindly ask". Exception to this is the dress code for the SL on Formal Nights were Shorts are PROHIBITED (not enforced).

There is a difference in a suggestion and a REQUEST.

You can use common sense and past experience to evaluate any requests or suggestions. Also you can evaluate what is posted on Cruise Critic. You don't have to be a sheep and follow blindly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can use common sense and past experience to evaluate any requests or suggestions. Also you can evaluate what is posted on Cruise Critic. You don't have to be a sheep and follow blindly.

There you go... "past experience". Times do change.

Then you should be aware of more and more relaxed dress codes??? [emoji23]

What I am aware of is that some cruise lines don't enforce dress guidelines and some cruise lines have changed them. On the mainstream cruise lines men don't have to wear an outfit with a jacket and tie any evening whatever the cruise line labels the evening , and many are not, whether the cruise line retains the formal night designation or not. So I don't pack that attire anymore on Celebrity, Holland America, Princess, Royal Caribbean and on whatever they call their dress up evenings in the MDR. I wear a long sleeved dress shirt. On the other evenings, I wear a polo shirt or other short sleeved shirt. All evenings I wear long pants, chinos. I could wear shorts on Royal Caribbean but I don't want to wear shorts to dinner. I don't care if others do. I think shorts at dinner might be problematic on the other cruise lines I mentioned, other than Royal, but it is not something I care about. Someone mentioned jeans and some passengers do wear them. It is not prohibited. Celebrity even mentions wearing designer jeans as appropriate on their dress up nights which they renamed Evening Chic, they no longer have Formal night.

What I am aware of is that some cruise lines don't enforce dress guidelines and some cruise lines have changed them. On the mainstream cruise lines men don't have to wear an outfit with a jacket and tie any evening whatever the cruise line labels the evening , and many are not, whether the cruise line retains the formal night designation or not. So I don't pack that attire anymore on Celebrity, Holland America, Princess, Royal Caribbean and on whatever they call their dress up evenings in the MDR. I wear a long sleeved dress shirt. On the other evenings, I wear a polo shirt or other short sleeved shirt. All evenings I wear long pants, chinos. I could wear shorts on Royal Caribbean but I don't want to wear shorts to dinner. I don't care if others do. I think shorts at dinner might be problematic on the other cruise lines I mentioned, other than Royal, but it is not something I care about. Someone mentioned jeans and some passengers do wear them. It is not prohibited. Celebrity even mentions wearing designer jeans as appropriate on their dress up nights which they renamed Evening Chic, they no longer have Formal night.

1487071741788.jpg.60f71d55ded790c5b5d85040db10943a.jpg

Saw this and thought of your last post lol.

Sent from my F8331 using Forums mobile app

I have dressed up either a TUX or Suit for formal nights. However, I prefer not to take them with me. I wear pants/slacks to dinner, period.

The big deal to me, I could care less what others wear. We don't let it effect us in anyway. I just have a difficult time understanding why so many let it bother them.

Dress codes are a suggestion while boarding by deck number is a REQUEST.

I have dressed up either a TUX or Suit for formal nights. However, I prefer not to take them with me. I wear pants/slacks to dinner, period.

The big deal to me, I could care less what others wear. We don't let it effect us in anyway. I just have a difficult time understanding why so many let it bother them.

A request is asking for something.

I have been on over 55 cruises from many different ports on different cruise lines and not once has a cruise line boarded by deck number. That includes the 3 times I got a request to board by deck. Once from Royal Caribbean, twice from Celebrity. And the same week the following year on the same Celebrity ship, no such request. So I won't blindly follow that request if I ever get it again. If in the future a cruise line that I book actually does board by deck I will re-evaluate.

when having a nice meal in the MDR one doesnt want to see someones bare knees. im not a snub in the least but i think that there should be a certain level of decorum. if you wear slacks and a collared shirt/ polo there is nothing wrong imo. however one time someone was wearing a sleevless shirt and his arm hair was sticking out. that im sorry but i object to.

when having a nice meal in the MDR one doesnt want to see someones bare knees. im not a snub in the least but i think that there should be a certain level of decorum. if you wear slacks and a collared shirt/ polo there is nothing wrong imo. however one time someone was wearing a sleevless shirt and his arm hair was sticking out. that im sorry but i object to.

Oh I love seeing ladies bare knees!! Armpits are the pits. Worse yet is Men in dresses.

I predict in 10 years or less all but a couple of cruise lines will be dress as you wish like NCL.

Actually, the Norwegian Jewel requires long pants in both the Tsars' Palace (for dinnertimes) and French specialty restaurant Le Bistro. I wore long pants both places AND saw people being turned away for wearing shorts.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm not here to take sides but I think when the cruise ship says no shorts. they mean it. Why challenge the rules. let's get dressed up a bit and practice our manners. cruising gives everyone a chance to to do just that. all ages. The nicest night I had on a cruise was the night a 6 yr old and his Dad wearing bow ties and seating the lady's in their party . If you don't want to dress for dinner eat in the casual restraints. That family was teaching their kids life skills. We are losing proper etiquette in the US and it shows sometimes. I'm a nurse educator and are biggest problems with our students is professional behavior and following rules. So we educate.