Dinner attire - men/boys in nice shorts?

Houstonmom1

But their legs and Adams Apple for most part, look the same as Men in Shorts. Why is ok for one and not the other??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yeah, but when was the last time you shaved your legs? You get the extra points for that so it balances out.

Not allowed, as that too would be athletic wear. ;)

Nah that's totally ok. Polo is a posh sport, therefore what ever you do wearing a polo is automatically eccentric not rude, cuz you've obviously got money and should therefore be left to your own devices.

nah that's totally ok. Polo is a posh sport, therefore what ever you do wearing a polo is automatically eccentric not rude, cuz you've obviously got money and should therefore be left to your own devices.

How gauche of me. Banish me to steerage. :o

Nah that's totally ok. Polo is a posh sport, therefore what ever you do wearing a polo is automatically eccentric not rude, cuz you've obviously got money and should therefore be left to your own devices.

If we must be truly traditional, polo shirts were originally button front long sleeve shirts. Brooks Brothers put buttons on the collars in 1896 so the tips wouldn't fly up into your eyes...

And then, roughly 85 years later, Alex P. Keaton and a generation of preppies came around.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled "dress code" thread!

:)

If we must be truly traditional, polo shirts were originally button front long sleeve shirts. Brooks Brothers put buttons on the collars in 1896 so the tips wouldn't fly up into your eyes...

And then, roughly 85 years later, Alex P. Keaton and a generation of preppies came around.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled "dress code" thread!

:)

We've called those Rugby shirts

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

So, what others wear makes you feel special???

The point is most people wouldn't wear shorts to a wedding or a nice land restaurant because it would be considered rude. It wouldn't literally "affect" anyone in a negative way or ruin anything, but it would be in poor taste. Which is something people with manners generally try to avoid.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I never understood how something someone wears could add/detract from how "special" someone else would feel. If someone feels less "special" because someone else is wearing shorts in the MDR, then that person feeling less "special" has other issues they may want to speak to a professional about.

Have you ever thought about WHY they have a suggested dress code? Let me explain simply to try to help you understand.

It's not just about you.

The point is most people wouldn't wear shorts to a wedding or a nice land restaurant because it would be considered rude. It wouldn't literally "affect" anyone in a negative way or ruin anything, but it would be in poor taste. Which is something people with manners generally try to avoid.

I would argue that many many many people would actually wear shorts to a wedding, or to a nice restaurant.

I've said it several times, where I live it is very common to go into an upscale restaurant and see people in shorts and a collared shirt. It is considered acceptable attire.

The truth is that fashion dictates what "formal" and other dress codes are, and fashion is constantly in flux. See the example of a tuxedo not being considered "formal" enough for dinner, not all that many years ago.

Fashion has evolved since the time of top hats and tails, and is changing still. Not that many years ago it would be unheard of to go into almost any office building and not see all the men wearing suits. Now you can walk into the office of several fortune 50 companies and the CEO might be wearing a jeans and a t-shirt or a hoodie. You think these multimillionaires are putting on a suit to go to dinner? No. Times have changed whether we like it or not.

I would argue that many many many people would actually wear shorts to a wedding, or to a nice restaurant.

I've said it several times, where I live it is very common to go into an upscale restaurant and see people in shorts and a collared shirt. It is considered acceptable attire.

The truth is that fashion dictates what "formal" and other dress codes are, and fashion is constantly in flux. See the example of a tuxedo not being considered "formal" enough for dinner, not all that many years ago.

Fashion has evolved since the time of top hats and tails, and is changing still. Not that many years ago it would be unheard of to go into almost any office building and not see all the men wearing suits. Now you can walk into the office of several fortune 50 companies and the CEO might be wearing a jeans and a t-shirt or a hoodie. You think these multimillionaires are putting on a suit to go to dinner? No. Times have changed whether we like it or not.

I actually live on the beach, and witness 3-4 'Beach Weddings' every week. The men do NOT wear shorts. Just not done.

Wear shorts to dinner on a cruise ship. It won't bother me. I'll wear Khaki's most nights and probably a tuxedo on formal nights.

This will be my first cruise. Judging from the comments on here, it will be my last. I only hope the people I meet are nicer, kinder, and less judgmental than some of the people in this group.

Please don't judge cruise passengers based on Cruise Critic. The site started as a place to ask questions and share information and has turned into a free for all. You can still ask questions and get answers. Just try to ignore the rest.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise! I'm sure you'll love it.

Please don't judge cruise passengers based on Cruise Critic. The site started as a place to ask questions and share information and has turned into a free for all. You can still ask questions and get answers. Just try to ignore the rest.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise! I'm sure you'll love it.

Very true. Just dress to impress (yourself) and enjoy your cruise I bet it's Not your last.

Sent from my F8331 using Forums mobile app

This will be my first cruise. Judging from the comments on here, it will be my last. I only hope the people I meet are nicer, kinder, and less judgmental than some of the people in this group.

Par for the course for an internet forum.

Biker, who is surprised this thread has lived so long.

It's my cruise and I can do basically what I want.

I can wear shorts everywhere at any time, Bermuda, cargo, hiking, climbing, patterned, Hawaiian, bathing or any kind, because what really is the difference between any of them? They are all shorts after all.

I can wear my sleeveless Hard Rock Café wife beater in the MDR, because in some places it is fine.

I can't stand shoes on vacation so flip flops and even bare feet are fine everywhere.

I will wear my bathing suit with a light cover-up to diner as long as it is fairly dry.

I will show up for my assigned seating time in the MDR as late as I want and stay as late as I want and if the waiters or the next diners assigned that table get upset, too bad.

I share my beverage packages all the time.

Rum Runners are the best thing since sliced bread.

I put towels and other effects on pool chairs on either side of mine to have more space.

I keep my veranda door open 24/7 because I like it.

I put my room service dishes on the floor outside my stateroom when I'm finished eating..

I feel naked without my baseball cap when I go to diner.

In our cruising history we have seen people do all of these things. Never really bothered us, but has always made us wonder why they decided to go on a cruise after reading the basic rules.

There are dress codes and today they are for the most part very easy to live with.

WHY CONSTANTLY PUSH THE ENVELOPE AND CHALLENGE THEM?????

Understand that with set time seating being late causes problems for the wait staff and other diners.

Don't be a chair hog.

Keep your veranda doors closed, it is a strain on the system.

If you don't like the alcohol policy,

CHOOSE ANOTHER CRUISE LINE OR TYPE OF VACATION..

On a cruise or for that matter on most vacations you are a guest, granted a PAYING guest, but still a guest and must follow the rules which for the most part are in place to make the best possible experience for EVERYONE NOT JUST YOU.

Again, never caused me any real problem just don't understand some people??

bosco

I can wear shorts everywhere at any time, Bermuda, cargo, hiking, climbing, patterned, Hawaiian, bathing or any kind, because what really is the difference between any of them? They are all shorts after all.

I can wear my sleeveless Hard Rock Café wife beater in the MDR, because in some places it is fine.

I can't stand shoes on vacation so flip flops and even bare feet are fine everywhere.

I will wear my bathing suit with a light cover-up to diner as long as it is fairly dry.

I will show up for my assigned seating time in the MDR as late as I want and stay as late as I want and if the waiters or the next diners assigned that table get upset, too bad.

I put towels and other effects on pool chairs on either side of mine to have more space.

I put my room service dishes on the floor outside my stateroom when I'm finished eating..

In our cruising history we have seen people do all of these things. Never really bothered us, but has always made us wonder why they decided to go on a cruise after reading the basic rules.

There are dress codes and today they are for the most part very easy to live with.

Understand that with set time seating being late causes problems for the wait staff and other diners.

Don't be a chair hog.

On a cruise or for that matter on most vacations you are a guest, granted a PAYING guest, but still a guest and must follow the rules which for the most part are in place to make the best possible experience for EVERYONE NOT JUST YOU.

Just like anything it seems that no matter how relaxed and easy to obey the rules of dress and behavior are (AND THEY ARE VERY RELAXED AND EASY TO OBEY) something like "NICE SHORTS" can be so open to interpretation that anything from conservative Bermuda shorts to frayed "designer" shorts with a 1 inch inseam and a half inch zipper would have to be allowed. Certain other behavior although not offensive enough to ruin someone's cruise can make it less enjoyable.

Only an opinion.

bosco

Don't be a chair hog.

Just like anything it seems that no matter how relaxed and easy to obey the rules of dress and behavior are (AND THEY ARE VERY RELAXED AND EASY TO OBEY) something like "NICE SHORTS" can be so open to interpretation that anything from conservative Bermuda shorts to frayed "designer" shorts with a 1 inch inseam and a half inch zipper would have to be allowed. Certain other behavior although not offensive enough to ruin someone's cruise can make it less enjoyable.

Only an opinion.

bosco

Thanks Bosco.