Dinner attire - men/boys in nice shorts?

Houstonmom1

I would argue that many many many people would actually wear shorts to a wedding, or to a nice restaurant.

I've said it several times, where I live it is very common to go into an upscale restaurant and see people in shorts and a collared shirt. It is considered acceptable attire.

The truth is that fashion dictates what "formal" and other dress codes are, and fashion is constantly in flux. See the example of a tuxedo not being considered "formal" enough for dinner, not all that many years ago.

Fashion has evolved since the time of top hats and tails, and is changing still. Not that many years ago it would be unheard of to go into almost any office building and not see all the men wearing suits. Now you can walk into the office of several fortune 50 companies and the CEO might be wearing a jeans and a t-shirt or a hoodie. You think these multimillionaires are putting on a suit to go to dinner? No. Times have changed whether we like it or not.

Fashion does not dictate Formal on a cruise, it is the Cruise line that dictate. If shorts and the like are acceptable attire in upscale restaurants, then there would be none of these type of threads.

Times haven't changed, attitudes are the change, attitudes towards others, not only on cruises but in every walk of life. The attitude of entitlement and selfishness is ever present.

Not by me though:cool:

This will be my first cruise. Judging from the comments on here, it will be my last. I only hope the people I meet are nicer, kinder, and less judgmental than some of the people in this group.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I completely understand your concern. If I had read a thread like this prior to my first cruise, I would not be looking forward to it. Ignore the back and forth banter, just a bunch of nonsense....Although very entertaining....lol. Get excited about your upcoming cruise, do your research on the ports, consider a drink package, take in the shows, dress the way you like, and have a blast. You will meet some wonderful people. P.S. you can get great information from 'some' of the threads on this site.

This will be my first cruise. Judging from the comments on here, it will be my last. I only hope the people I meet are nicer, kinder, and less judgmental than some of the people in this group.

Just a quick note: I've noticed recently that some people's posts are less-than-nice. Ignore them. You're going to meet great and interesting people and you'll love your cruise. Enjoy!

Fashion does not dictate Formal on a cruise, it is the Cruise line that dictate. If shorts and the like are acceptable attire in upscale restaurants, then there would be none of these type of threads.

Times haven't changed, attitudes are the change, attitudes towards others, not only on cruises but in every walk of life. The attitude of entitlement and selfishness is ever present.

Not by me though:cool:

Yes. The cruise line dictates what is acceptable wear. If they chose to allow patrons into the MDR in shorts, then it is acceptable. There is no other way to put it more plainly.

Personally I follow the suggested guidelines because I ENJOY dressing up, also because I don't want to run the risk of being turned away for not following the guidelines. That is my personal choice that I make, I certainly don't do it to impress anyone, and I really could not care less what anyone wants to wear to the MDR. If it's good enough for the people that are going to have to listen to some entitled south end of a north bound mule whining about it, it's good enough for me.

The idea that times haven't changed is interesting to me. To look around the world and think that it's no different than it was even 10 years ago seems to indicate a very interesting delusion. We carry computers in our pockets that could (and regularly do) manage spacecraft launches. Social media has completely changed the way humans interact on a global scale. Yes. Times have changed, entitlement is certainly around, but it's nothing new. Fashion is just one of many things that have changed, and if you can't see that....open your eyes and walk around the world a bit.

I sympathize. Once upon a time, I cancelled a cruise because of the comments about formal attire for that line here on cruise critic. That was the biggest mistake I've made while cruising.

Three points.

First, the critics of casual attire are the in the minority even here on cruise critic. It is highly unlikely you'll run into any one like them on a cruise.

Second, it really doesn't matter what people on your cruise think of you. Remember, it is very, very unlikely you'll ever see any of them again.

Third, the MDR is overrated. It's easy to conclude from cruise critic that the only reason to cruise is to enjoy the MDR. You can have a wonderful cruise without ever entering the MDR. It's loud, it's crowded, and dinner takes too long. Who wants to spend two hours at dinner? We dine there infrequently because we find the buffet to offer more choices in a more relaxed environment.

Finally, enjoy your cruise. BTW, I later did take a cruise on the line I had cancelled and it was the best cruising experience we've had.

We have never gotten our undies in a bunch over any dress codes or any people who ignore them, but the trend on almost every cruise line seems to be in seeing how far certain people can go.

Whether it is any of those I have mentioned earlier or any that one can think of they ignore any if they feel the rules DO NOT PERTAIN TO THEM. It's almost as if they see a no trespassing sign and go up the road anyway. ??? WHY ???

None of the rules we have seen on ANY CRUISE in our 17 years are very hard to follow and after all they are there for a reason.

On a cruise or for that matter on most vacations, in most up scale restaurants or at a Broadway show you are a guest, granted a PAYING guest, but still a guest and must follow the rules which for the most part are in place to make the best possible experience for EVERYONE NOT JUST YOU.

Try using common sense. Don't attend CATS on Broadway while wearing one of those twin beer can hats.

If bringing one pair of slacks and a decent shirt is too much trouble, follow the rules and enjoy a great meal in one of the other venues. You will have a great cruise and maybe a little extra room in your luggage.

bosco

Third, the MDR is overrated. It's easy to conclude from cruise critic that the only reason to cruise is to enjoy the MDR. You can have a wonderful cruise without ever entering the MDR. It's loud, it's crowded, and dinner takes too long. Who wants to spend two hours at dinner? We dine there infrequently because we find the buffet to offer more choices in a more relaxed environment.

Windjammer = MDR without the pretension. Skip the MDR - the food is practically the same in the Windjammer and you can take as little or as much time as you like.

I sympathize. Once upon a time, I cancelled a cruise because of the comments about formal attire for that line here on cruise critic. That was the biggest mistake I've made while cruising.

Three points.

First, the critics of casual attire are the in the minority even here on cruise critic. It is highly unlikely you'll run into any one like them on a cruise.

Second, it really doesn't matter what people on your cruise think of you. Remember, it is very, very unlikely you'll ever see any of them again.

Finally, enjoy your cruise. BTW, I later did take a cruise on the line I had cancelled and it was the best cruising experience we've had.

Thank you! I'll be the one in the daisy duke shorts!

Hi - we have been on several disney cruises in the last few years and my husband and my two boys have always worn nice kaki short to dinner every night (and never felt awkward or out of place). We are traveling on the Liberty in March - - how acceptable is it for them to wear shorts to dinner (MTD)? Thx!

No look nice for a change you dont do this everyday this casual thing is carry toooo far....

I would argue that many many many people would actually wear shorts to a wedding, or to a nice restaurant.

Never in my life outside of an occasional destination wedding on a beach have I ever seen shorts at a wedding. Even at a beach wedding the norm would be khakis or some type of linen pants.

Never in my life outside of an occasional destination wedding on a beach have I ever seen shorts at a wedding. Even at a beach wedding the norm would be khakis or some type of linen pants.

Oh the stories I could tell you about my husbands cousins wedding! Gym shorts (green!) and a t shirt (like a white Haines undershirt t shirt). And that was the groom!

For forty five years, I "looked nice". It's time to give "this casual thing" a try.

Good for you!

I haven't tried the shorts in the MDR thing yet. Not because it's against the cruise line rules or because it's not fashionable. I haven't done it because I have great manly legs and wearing shorts might cause all the lovely ladies to swoon! :D

I'm always thinking of my fellow passengers. :)

P.S. Mrs. Dawg just reminded me that she didn't swoon when she first saw my manly legs...... she fainted because she thought she was dating Sasquatch. :eek:

Like someone else mentioned on this thread, I too always thought the MDR "no shorts" suggestion was meant for basketball shorts and the like. Athletic stuff. Personally, I've always thought that young boys look handsome in pressed (knee length) shorts and belt, tucked in collared polo shirts, and slip on shoes/sandals with CLOSED toes. After all, it is a cruise but, they look neat and clean. And...IMHO, I actually think they look better than the grown man who wears slacks or jeans with beach flip flops showing gnarly un-kept feet (which I have seen first hand).

Folks, I've always tried to be respectful of others and that is what I teach my boys to be. However, I don't live my life to please everyone because it's an impossible task. My wallet...and patience...just don't stretch that far. It takes me an average of 2-3 years to pay for our vacations. I'm a single mom (my boys are 8 and 13). Those who have boys will know...they can eat!!! :D But, after reading this thread, now I've got to stop and concern myself with the additional expense of formal night/nightly attire for my boys to please the masses? Because if I don't, I'm considered a bad parent, ill-mannered? Really??? :confused: Aesthetics or not--it's an unrealistic expectation these days. And it's unfair to assume that those who don't do it are bad people.