Dinner attire - men/boys in nice shorts?

Houstonmom1

So, you think that banning golf shirts will help solve the problem?:eek:

The term 'golf shirts' is a an incorrect description of what is in the trade a 'button down placard shirt'. It could be worn for many, many occasions, not just to play golf in. To me, men wearing 3 or 4 button placard shirts would be absolutely fine....and much more pleasing to my eye, that some of the things men do wear to the MDR.

I hope all have a great cruise whenever your next cruise is....and don't spend too much time stressing over other peoples clothes.....I know I won't.

My DH and 10yo DS will be wearing 3 button polo shirts and slacks for smart casual nights on Liberty.

They will wear dress slacks and button downs in dark colors maybe with a tie on formal nights. We do not bring jackets anymore as they tend to just get tossed on the back of the chair to eat so why bring them to walk to or seats.

These meet the dress guidelines and we have never felt out of place. My DS has left dinner at 6:25, gone back to the room to change into shorts for adventure ocean and come back to the dining room for a moment or two before the AO pick up time as well. This is primarily a problem on sports night at AO. On our next cruise - he will be able to sign himself in so he may not have to do this anymore. We will find out in a few months!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Only because the same people who say you must dress to a suggested will be the first to ignore a request from Royal to board by deck number.

This response comes up every time. There is a difference. People may come to the port earlier than their assigned time however they are not forcing their way on the ship. If they come earlier than their time and they end up waiting at the port so be it. This request really has nothing to do with proper attire for dining.

This response comes up every time. There is a difference. People may come to the port earlier than their assigned time however they are not forcing their way on the ship. If they come earlier than their time and they end up waiting at the port so be it. This request really has nothing to do with proper attire for dining.

They are both suggestions or requests from Royal, no difference. Have you received an email requesting you to board by deck number?? We have received 3 now.

My DH and 10yo DS will be wearing 3 button polo shirts and slacks for smart casual nights on Liberty.

They will wear dress slacks and button downs in dark colors maybe with a tie on formal nights. We do not bring jackets anymore as they tend to just get tossed on the back of the chair to eat so why bring them to walk to or seats.

These meet the dress guidelines and we have never felt out of place. My DS has left dinner at 6:25, gone back to the room to change into shorts for adventure ocean and come back to the dining room for a moment or two before the AO pick up time as well. This is primarily a problem on sports night at AO. On our next cruise - he will be able to sign himself in so he may not have to do this anymore. We will find out in a few months!

Your DH and son will look marvelous I am sure!!!!

Perfect, thank you! My boys are 19, 16 and 12 but it's helpful to hear from people who have cruised with RCI often. :) I appreciate it!

Formal night is exactly the reason I've been hesitant to go on a cruise. We are doing a 4 night in the end of March. Only one formal night. Glad to see there are other options. I'll starve before i wear a cocktail dress and heels on vacation !

Formal night is exactly the reason I've been hesitant to go on a cruise. We are doing a 4 night in the end of March. Only one formal night. Glad to see there are other options. I'll starve before i wear a cocktail dress and heels on vacation !

Same here.

And nobody is willing to say why is is bad for men to wear shorts but ok for men to wear dresses. (not kilts).

Dresses are a lot more effort than shorts, therefore by virtue of wearing a dress a man has shown the requisite amount of effort required to be "dressed up" enough for dinner. Hows that? [emoji6]

Dresses are a lot more effort than shorts, therefore by virtue of wearing a dress a man has shown the requisite amount of effort required to be "dressed up" enough for dinner. Hows that? [emoji6]

But their legs and Adams Apple for most part, look the same as Men in Shorts. Why is ok for one and not the other??

The term 'golf shirts' is a an incorrect description of what is in the trade a 'button down placard shirt'. It could be worn for many, many occasions, not just to play golf in. To me, men wearing 3 or 4 button placard shirts would be absolutely fine....and much more pleasing to my eye, that some of the things men do wear to the MDR.

I hope all have a great cruise whenever your next cruise is....and don't spend too much time stressing over other peoples clothes.....I know I won't.

Placard, that rolls off the tongue. 😉

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I am surprised to read this thread. On our last cruise (a different cruise line known to be more casual) my husband was turned away from the main dining room because he was wearing dressy khaki shorts and a collared shirt. It was frustrating. We all waited for him to go change and lost our place (in line) and the staff rudely accused my son of lying about his age. He also had on Khaki Shorts and a collared shirt-he was 12 at the time. It was the one very disappointing moment in an otherwise lovely cruise. I assumed RC would be even more strict about shorts in the main dining room.