Dinner attire - men/boys in nice shorts?

Houstonmom1

So - my son will be in slacks in the MDR as stated earlier in the thread - but I just wanted to say that as a mom of a fast growing 10 year old in snowy New England , those of you that say that there is ALWAYS a pair of pants that fit are just not correct.

My son has about a dozen athletic pants that he wears daily. (But I don't think that's the intent of MDR attire?) In October - he did not have slacks that fit for school photos - he wore dress shorts. For Christmas (just 6 weeks ago!) we bought him 2 new pairs of slacks. After being washed - one pair barely fits. For our cruise in April - I fully suspect that I will have to purchase a new pair or two and I assure you they will only be worn on the cruise and no where else as he will have outgrown them before Next Octobers picture day!

I have shopped at good will and savers and they RARELY have slacks my sons age available.

My son does have some nice non-athletic shorts and we will be bringing them on our trip. I can assure you HE would prefer to wear them to dinner than pants! He would wear shorts to school in the snow if given a choice!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Check out the clearance racks and sales racks at Kohl's. You should be able to find a pair of khakis there for cheap money. He won't need more than 1 or 2 pairs of pants for the cruise. My son would come back to the cabin before dinner, take a quick shower and throw on a polo and a pair of khakis. When he was finished dinner, he went back to the cabin and was back in shorts and t-shirts for the rest of the night. As long as he threw the pants on the bed and didn't leave them in a ball on the floor, he got away with the same pants for most of the week.:cool::p

Im suprized nobody has asked about if dressy bibs, dressy sweats or dressy jeans too. Oh yeah thats right there is no such thing either. Just because khaki shorts exist doesnt make them dressy. I dont like dressing up but ill say one thing i really enjoy seeing what people consider formal wear now a days. Whats next garbage bags and duct tape at the mdr ?

Im suprized nobody has asked about if dressy bibs, dressy sweats or dressy jeans too. Oh yeah thats right there is no such thing either. Just because khaki shorts exist doesnt make them dressy. I dont like dressing up but ill say one thing i really enjoy seeing what people consider formal wear now a days. Whats next garbage bags and duct tape at the mdr ?

Only garbage bags and duct tape? Don't you know that only one kid or one adult wearing shorts in the MDR is a disaster of....

biblical proportions!

'Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies. Rivers and seas boiling. Forty years of darkness. Earthquakes, volcanoes… The dead rising from the grave...human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together – mass hysteria.'

Frankly,' I’m terrified beyond the capacity for rational thought!':eek:

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

(Thanks to Dan and Harold for the quotes.)

Good Point about Kohl's. I got my husband and son dressy khaki shorts last year for about $5-$8 a pair (in November) on clearance for our cruise and they often have long pants on clearance this time of year. Luckily my son is a bit older so he will eat at the buffet and avoid the MDR. He is on the spectrum and asking him to wear pants with a button waist...its like asking him to wear a suit of nails.

I knew this would happen when I saw this thread.

There are the "We want people to follow the rules so that we can enjoy the elegant atmosphere without seeing people dressed for Disneyland in the main dining room" folks versus the "It's our vacation and we'll dress how we want so lighten up" folks.

Really, the fancy dressers should lighten up and not let it ruin their vacation, but the shorts and flipflops folks really should be more respectful of the fact that the cruise lines are trying to preserve an elegant atmosphere that is sadly becoming more and more rare.

Can't we all just get along.

For the record, nothing ruins my vacation, but we dress up and I will confess that I laugh when someone gets turned away for not meeting the clearly printed dress code. They should have known better.

Amen. Won't let it ruin my vacation, but rules are rules and folks should have to follow them or suffer the conquences.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

This thread has been going on for so long, I feel the need to ask a clarifying question: is the complaint with people who wear shorts in the MDR at all, or just people who wear shorts when the MDR rules say not to? The latter I totally understand. The former, not so much.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Now this thread has turned into a Shopping for Slacks thread.

So, all you posters indicating that a suggested dress code prohibits shorts...

What would you do if Royal sent you a email requesting you board at a designated time based on cabin type/deck????? Would you insist all follow that request??? One suggestion is good as another or do you choose to pick and choose????

No Shorts for Dinner. Have a little respect for the rules that the cruise lines have. Just done't make up your own rules to see how far you can push them around . If you want to be casual eat on the Lido deck for Dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

No Shorts for Dinner. Have a little respect for the rules that the cruise lines have. Just done't make up your own rules to see how far you can push them around . If you want to be casual eat on the Lido deck for Dinner.

But what if there ISN'T a "No Shorts" rule for the MDR? There isn't one on Carnival, except for Cruise Elegant nights. On Cruise Casual nights, it's just "No gym or basketball shorts," which would imply that dressier shorts are OK.

Check again no shorts even on causal night. Check with dining room rules. I've been cruising for 20 years. I've seen changes. But in the MDR it is still no shorts. Show me we're you have information that says different. Some people always show up in shorts they don't want to abide by the rules. Which is sad.

Check again no shorts even on causal night. Check with dining room rules. I've been cruising for 20 years. I've seen changes. But in the MDR it is still no shorts. Show me we're you have information that says different. Some people always show up in shorts they don't want to abide by the rules. Which is sad.

Just checked the most recent Inspiration Fun Times I could find on Cruise Critic. Cruise Casual nights say "Gym or basketball shorts are not permitted." Cruise Elegant nights say "Shorts are not permitted." Therefore, we can safely deduce that dress shorts are permitted in the Carnival MDRs on Cruise Casual nights.

Dress Shorts LOL you just want to find any way to break the rules. Go ahead if it makes you feel better. Wear your shorts .

It's hardly "breaking the rules" if it's explicitly allowed. And Cruise Critic refers to dress shorts in its section on dress code, so they recognize it even if you don't.

Dressy shorts? Is that like dressy tee shirts? Or dressy underwear? Or dressy underwear?

Ask the Cruise Critic editors. They use the term in this site's Dress Code section. Generally, it means shorts that look like dress pants that stop around the knee.

Dressy shorts? Is that like dressy tee shirts? Or dressy underwear? Or dressy baseball hats? Or just being a classless slob?

Better yet.... Dressy (and expensive) jeans [emoji12] because when you pay $200 for jeans it doesn't apply to you when "jeans" are not permitted!

This topic is good for another 400 posts at least.

So... I overdress, is that a problem :-0. I never ever wear dresses in real life (except at weddings and funerals), but I LOVE wearing them in the MDR. From kinda fancy to pretty fancy EVERY night. Dress code for ladies on smart casual night is- skirt or pants with a blouse. Oh no! Lol... I think I'll keep breaking the rules and wear a dress every night :)

So, I really hope they don't start policing it, and prevent me from wearing my dresses.... it's the only time my dresses get to see the light of day :)

Cruise lines need to be very specific with their dress code and police it. Cruisers would then abide by the dress code or choose another cruise line that more suits their personal dress standards.

That is not going to happen. It is the opposite of what has been happening. Customers are not sheep anymore and cruise lines don't want to get in confrontations with their customers. Plus the massive increase of berths must be filled. Cruise lines figured it out. Many wouldn't book a cruise because they didn't want to dress up. So they are getting rid of dress up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

Cruise lines need to be very specific with their dress code and police it. Cruisers would then abide by the dress code or choose another cruise line that more suits their personal dress standards.

I'd have no problem with that. But on our very first cruise, we went to all the trouble of packing me a suit for Elegant night, forgoing a couple of things I'd have liked to have had because there was no room in my suitcase. So I get dressed "to the nines" (GF said I looked great), head down to the MDR, and guess what? Multiple dudes in line in front of us are wearing t-shirts, shorts and flip-flops. AND THE STAFF LET THEM IN! :mad:

After that? I wear what I'm required to wear. Cruise Casual says I can wear shorts that aren't basketball or gym shorts, so that's what I wear. Cruise Elegant says long pants are required, so I wear, at a minimum, a short-sleeved dress shirt with coordinating slacks. This cruise, I'm adding a tie the GF bought me after she saw Nick Viall wear it on The Bachelor.

As long as I'm following the cruise line guidelines, I'm good. If someone has a problem with that, it's their problem, not mine.

This cruise, I'm adding a tie the GF bought me after she saw Nick Viall wear it on The Bachelor.

That's a slippery slope you're on bro. You start letting your GF pick out ties for you now, next it will be matching sweaters. :eek: And after you tie the knot (:)) she'll think she has free rein to dress you from head to toe. It's a devious female plot - don't fall for it!

Now this thread has turned into a Shopping for Slacks thread.

So, all you posters indicating that a suggested dress code prohibits shorts...

What would you do if Royal sent you a email requesting you board at a designated time based on cabin type/deck????? Would you insist all follow that request??? One suggestion is good as another or do you choose to pick and choose????

No takers.... LOL

I bet more than half those that are for prohibition of shorts in MDR (dinner) can't respond as it would show a weakened stance.

Come on, step up and tell the real truth.

Edited by troykahack

No takers.... LOL

I bet more than half the prohibition on shorts in MDR (dinner) can't respond as it would show a weakened stance.

Or they probably bring their own water or soda on board, when rules clearly state you are not supposed to. Just like the shorts rule, it's not enforced. Sometimes rules are there just so the cruise lines have fall back options in case they need them. Not necessarily that they want to truly enforce them.

No takers.... LOL

I bet more than half those that are for prohibition of shorts in MDR (dinner) can't respond as it would show a weakened stance.

Troy, if you haven't noticed yet, but this thread has been banished to the Cruise Fashions and Beauty area.......the Siberia of CC. Or is it the Fargo, North Dakota, of Cruise Critic. :D

Those posters are not responding to you because they might show a weakened stance. They are not responding to you because e they can't find you. And who in their right mind wants to visit Fargo in February? I have an excuse I'm Canadian, and Fargo is practially Miami for us. :)