Dinner attire - men/boys in nice shorts?

Houstonmom1

Like someone else mentioned on this thread, I too always thought the MDR "no shorts" suggestion was meant for basketball shorts and the like. Athletic stuff. Personally, I've always thought that young boys look handsome in pressed (knee length) shorts and belt, tucked in collared polo shirts, and slip on shoes/sandals with CLOSED toes. After all, it is a cruise but, they look neat and clean. And...IMHO, I actually think they look better than the grown man who wears slacks or jeans with beach flip flops showing gnarly un-kept feet (which I have seen first hand).

Folks, I've always tried to be respectful of others and that is what I teach my boys to be. However, I don't live my life to please everyone because it's an impossible task. My wallet...and patience...just don't stretch that far. It takes me an average of 2-3 years to pay for our vacations. I'm a single mom (my boys are 8 and 13). Those who have boys will know...they can eat!!! :D But, after reading this thread, now I've got to stop and concern myself with the additional expense of formal night/nightly attire for my boys to please the masses? Because if I don't, I'm considered a bad parent, ill-mannered? Really??? :confused: Aesthetics or not--it's an unrealistic expectation these days. And it's unfair to assume that those who don't do it are bad people.

4908ce9884e5b6ca3ccc750553f5c73e.jpg

Really? On sale at Old Navy $20 (less an additional 30% off right now) or run over to the Goodwill and get a pair worn once for $5. The 8yr can get away with nice shorts, the 13yr old is a young man. How hard is it to just have your boys put on their Big Boy pants and learn there is a time & a place.

The only shame here is that you don't get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

4908ce9884e5b6ca3ccc750553f5c73e.jpg

Really? On sale at Old Navy $20 (less an additional 30% off right now) or run over to the Goodwill and get a pair worn once for $5. The 8yr can get away with nice shorts, the 13yr old is a young man. How hard is it to just have your boys put on their Big Boy pants and learn there is a time & a place.

The only shame here is that you don't get it.

I'm sorry, I don't usually get into it with strangers, but the only shame is you trying to shame someone! Really, just be nice!

Like someone else mentioned on this thread, I too always thought the MDR "no shorts" suggestion was meant for basketball shorts and the like. Athletic stuff. Personally, I've always thought that young boys look handsome in pressed (knee length) shorts and belt, tucked in collared polo shirts, and slip on shoes/sandals with CLOSED toes. After all, it is a cruise but, they look neat and clean. And...IMHO, I actually think they look better than the grown man who wears slacks or jeans with beach flip flops showing gnarly un-kept feet (which I have seen first hand).

Folks, I've always tried to be respectful of others and that is what I teach my boys to be. However, I don't live my life to please everyone because it's an impossible task. My wallet...and patience...just don't stretch that far. It takes me an average of 2-3 years to pay for our vacations. I'm a single mom (my boys are 8 and 13). Those who have boys will know...they can eat!!! :D But, after reading this thread, now I've got to stop and concern myself with the additional expense of formal night/nightly attire for my boys to please the masses? Because if I don't, I'm considered a bad parent, ill-mannered? Really??? :confused: Aesthetics or not--it's an unrealistic expectation these days. And it's unfair to assume that those who don't do it are bad people.

My Lady,

You'll be fine. No need to buy your boys anything other than what they already have. Just ignore those who think they own the MDR. It's not their private property and they cannot keep you out regardless of what they think.

I suspect you're doing fine as a parent (not that you need any validation from a stranger on the internet), and anyone who thinks differently because you let your kids wear shorts to dinner obviously doesn't know many really bad parents. Anyone who thinks they've got any right to say anything about someone else's parenting couldn't have been taught manners as a child.

I hope you enjoy your cruise with the kids, the time we get with them goes too too fast and vacations are always full of very special memories (for me at least) [emoji2]

i have always cruised with my teenage son and really there is no excuse for not having slacks and collared shirts. most can be bought on sale or very cheap at old navy or american eagle.

looking at ones bare knees in the dinning room is enough to turn me off my escargot.

I raised two boys....and yes, I know how they can eat.....and from reading your post I am absolutely sure that your boys will be dressed very nicely for the MDR.....and perhaps nicer than some of the adults....don't be concerned with additional expenses for formal nights (which in todays cruise world -- aren't very formal) then ENJOY.

I never have or will take advice from anyone who thinks that they are superior to anyone else. And worse still...someone who treats others which such disrespect for merely having an opinion that doesn't mirror their own. I'll say no more because then...I'd be just like you. I will say this though...thank you VERY much for making my decision that much easier. I will dress my boys in shorts ALL week for dinner and laugh myself silly thinking about you. It's going to be a great trip! I can't wait! :D

Thank you SO much to ALL who understand my point, I appreciate the solidarity!!! :D:D:D

[emoji8]

Slacks exactly how hard is a $20 pair of slacks. You can afford a cruise and know what the expectations are.... on wait you are a single mom so that makes you and your special snow flakes special.

Dressing appropriately is part of growing up and joining the real world .... except apparently when you are ?????

Unbelievable, I'm glad you are so special.

QUOTE=ChiMimi69;52256933]I never have or will take advice from anyone who thinks that they are superior to anyone else. And worse still...someone who treats others which such disrespect for merely having an opinion that doesn't mirror their own. I'll say no more because then...I'd be just like you. I will say this though...thank you VERY much for making my decision that much easier. I will dress my boys in shorts ALL week for dinner and laugh myself silly thinking about you. It's going to be a great trip! I can't wait! :D

Thank you SO much to ALL who understand my point, I appreciate the solidarity!!! :D:D:D

Everyone on this thread can see your point. There is a dress code that sounds silly to you, however it is a dress code and part of the recommended dress for using the MDR at dinner.

Plenty of younger children can look fine in shorts, but teens??? Maybe less so, for certain functions and as far as this post goes for other reasons.

Teens are at an age where they are soaking up everything that is done around them, like manners and social graces. It is also the age where they are learning the value of peer consideration which involves obedience to certain policies and procedures dealing with social interaction that show respect to their peers and consideration for other's feelings.

Teaching our children to be well mannered, civil and courteous isn't done by arguing the logic of a rule that is in place and has been in place long before beginning a philosophical discussion of its legitimacy or long before plunking down a few thousand dollars on a cruise where that very rule is and has been clearly stated.

After the many cruises you have been on with your children you must be well aware of the dress code and have quite clearly decided that you will do what you want and laugh yourself silly at those with differing opinions.

A ten second search on DRESS CODES would show that a few million pounds of popcorn have been devoured while the subject still remains moot. After years and years of contentious debate the subject boils down to simple rules and regulations and whether a person wants to follow or ignore them. Like questioning if smuggling booze, chair hogging or any number of other gentle shoves on the envelope of propriety are really so terrible. NO they are not but they are still against the well known and publicized cruise policies.

I find it hard to imagine that children living in Chicago don't have access to a few pairs of long pants. How do they dress to see a movie, go to diner, go to school, go to church, go to see granny or go anywhere else when it is not shorts weather????

Is about 10-12 inches of fabric going to bust the 50 pound limit on your next flight?

Sorry, like I said before you can follow or ignore the rules and it won't bother me, or for that matter most people, in the least however don't expect approval from people who you intend to laugh at.

Have a great cruise

bosco

QUOTE=ChiMimi69;52256933]I never have or will take advice from anyone who thinks that they are superior to anyone else. And worse still...someone who treats others which such disrespect for merely having an opinion that doesn't mirror their own. I'll say no more because then...I'd be just like you. I will say this though...thank you VERY much for making my decision that much easier. I will dress my boys in shorts ALL week for dinner and laugh myself silly thinking about you. It's going to be a great trip! I can't wait! :D

Thank you SO much to ALL who understand my point, I appreciate the solidarity!!! :D:D:D]

Everyone on this thread can see your point. There is a dress code that sounds silly to you, however it is a dress code and part of the recommended dress for using the MDR at dinner.

Plenty of younger children can look fine in shorts, but teens??? Maybe less so, for certain functions and as far as this post goes for other reasons.

Teens are at an age where they are soaking up everything that is done around them, like manners and social graces. It is also the age where they are learning the value of peer consideration which involves obedience to certain policies and procedures dealing with social interaction that show respect to their peers and consideration for other's feelings.

Teaching our children to be well mannered, civil and courteous isn't done by arguing the logic of a rule that is in place and has been in place long before beginning a philosophical discussion of its legitimacy or long before plunking down a few thousand dollars on a cruise where that very rule is and has been clearly stated.

After the many cruises you have been on with your children you must be well aware of the dress code and have quite clearly decided that you will do what you want and laugh yourself silly at those with differing opinions.

A ten second search on DRESS CODES would show that a few million pounds of popcorn have been devoured while the subject still remains moot. After years and years of contentious debate the subject boils down to simple rules and regulations and whether a person wants to follow or ignore them. Like questioning if smuggling booze, chair hogging or any number of other gentle shoves on the envelope of propriety are really so terrible. NO they are not but they are still against the well known and publicized cruise policies.

I find it hard to imagine that children living in Chicago don't have access to a few pairs of long pants. How do they dress to see a movie, go to diner, go to school, go to church, go to see granny or go anywhere else when it is not shorts weather????

Is about 10-12 inches of fabric going to bust the 50 pound limit on your next flight?

Sorry, like I said before you can follow or ignore the rules and it won't bother me, or for that matter most people, in the least however don't expect approval from people who you intend to laugh at.

Have a great cruise

bosco

That part has nothing to do with those 10-12 extra inches of fabric. It's going to be very amusing when RCI finally amends their dress code to reflect what actually happens in the MDR. The thread on here from the fashion police is going to be epic.

That part has nothing to do with those 10-12 extra inches of fabric. It's going to be very amusing when RCI finally amends their dress code to reflect what actually happens in the MDR. The thread on here from the fashion police is going to be epic.

Until it's amended it is what it is.... follow it!

Until it's amended it is what it is.... follow it!

I actually do dress pretty nicely for dinner but I get a kick out of people like you that let what other people wear to dinner affect their cruise. And what you think, say or want means absolutely nothing to me, especially after how you've treated others in this thread. My guess is there's some rule somewhere you don't follow which just makes this little rant of yours that much more amusing.

Edited by Lordnlkon

I actually do dress pretty nicely for dinner but I get a kick out of people like you that let what other people wear to dinner affect their cruise. And what you think, say or want means absolutely nothing to me, especially after how you've treated others in this thread. My guess is there's some rule somewhere you don't follow which just makes this little rant of yours that much more amusing.

Troy would ask if it was boarding the ship by deck. 😱

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Fist bump. [emoji109]🏻

Totally agree!!! I do not understand why all the negative comments in this thread! Let the boys wear shorts! Who cares? As long as they are neat and clean, I don't have a problem with it, and I am an older cruiser that remembers the formality of the MDR and all those ball gowns and tux! Frankly, I'm glad we've all moved on from that. I know this thread is in reference to a RCCL cruise, but I've got to add how much I love NCL and their Freestyle Cruising! I no longer have to pack all those fancy dresses or suit for my hubby! Those of you that miss those days, there are still other cruise lines that are not catering to 99% of today's cruisers desire for a fun, stress-free vacation. Try Celebrity, Cunard, Princess, and the luxury lines.

I agree--I wish there was a "dislike" button for some nasty comments. A cruise is whatever you want it to be. Don't impose your one sided beliefs on someone else---especially a single mom just trying to give her children a great vacation.

Totally agree!!! I do not understand why all the negative comments in this thread!....

Not just negative but ugly and offensive!

It's like going to the MDR for dinner and one of your tablemates is wearing shorts, not the nice dress kind, but old ratty, torn gym shorts that they haven't washed for ten years! :eek: Yes you can close your eyes or wait until they sit down to avoid the sight of the shorts but the stench is just so overpowering......

I wonder if anyone has ever thought to ask a hotel director on board why the policy isn't enforced. Perhaps many of the HDs agree that it's an idiotic policy and have directed their staff to limit enforcement to egregious offenders only (10 year old unwashed athletic shorts etc) because they are aware that it's the Caribbean and hot and it doesn't fit with the attitude of the cruise. I know the staff on board have pretty broad discretionary powers regarding how things are run on the ships so maybe while RCCL hasn't caught on, the rest of the staff have.

Regardless of my own musings the fact remains that what you can wear to dinner is not dictated by a piece of paper, but rather what the staff will allow in their dining room. If they allow shorts, then shorts are allowed.

So - my son will be in slacks in the MDR as stated earlier in the thread - but I just wanted to say that as a mom of a fast growing 10 year old in snowy New England , those of you that say that there is ALWAYS a pair of pants that fit are just not correct.

My son has about a dozen athletic pants that he wears daily. (But I don't think that's the intent of MDR attire?) In October - he did not have slacks that fit for school photos - he wore dress shorts. For Christmas (just 6 weeks ago!) we bought him 2 new pairs of slacks. After being washed - one pair barely fits. For our cruise in April - I fully suspect that I will have to purchase a new pair or two and I assure you they will only be worn on the cruise and no where else as he will have outgrown them before Next Octobers picture day!

I have shopped at good will and savers and they RARELY have slacks my sons age available.

My son does have some nice non-athletic shorts and we will be bringing them on our trip. I can assure you HE would prefer to wear them to dinner than pants! He would wear shorts to school in the snow if given a choice!!

Totally agree!!! I do not understand why all the negative comments in this thread! Let the boys wear shorts! Who cares? As long as they are neat and clean, I don't have a problem with it, and I am an older cruiser that remembers the formality of the MDR and all those ball gowns and tux! Frankly, tion.

grandmarnnurse

Posted February 5th, 2017, 01:07 PM

I packed khaki pants for my hubby on my recent NCL cruise, because it was our first time on NCL and didn't know what to expect. After wearing slacks most of the cruise to dinner, but noticing all the men in shorts, he wore khaki shorts on the last note, with no problem. But personally, I don't think it looks right in such a nice dinner environment. I will continue to pack him slacks!

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

"I never have or will take advice from anyone who thinks that they are superior to anyone else. And worse still...someone who treats others which such disrespect for merely having an opinion that doesn't mirror their own. I'll say no more because then...I'd be just like you. I will say this though...thank you VERY much for making my decision that much easier."

To me your having cruised many times with children and having had them wear whatever you dressed them in is not a problem..

Joining a thread on a subject almost as explosive as "SMOKING" knowing that you will, no matter what anyone else says, continue to do what you have been doing in the past and laugh at those who think differently.

"...thank you VERY much for making my decision that much easier." As if you would do anything different from the start.

I am also a single parent (both "kids" are now in their 40's) and both my son and daughter know how to dress for an occasion, whether it be a quick lunch at a burger joint, a movie at the Cineplex or a Superbowl party versus an evening meal at a nice restaurant, a Broadway show or a wedding reception.

As far as I am concerned you can dress them in pajamas up until they are in their 20's but don't join on a thread guaranteed to have very different opinions and expect anything other than both positive and negative responses, none of them have been in the class of "RANTS", if you think so take a look at smoking threads.

Enjoy every cruise and pay no attention to those silly recommendations that mean nothing.

Adios

bosco