Dinner attire - men/boys in nice shorts?

Houstonmom1

You get it. My point is, you are accepting of one you must be accepting of all.

If it ruins your dinner in MDR to see Men in shorts, what effect would men in woman's dresses have on you?? Would you complain or just remain quiet?? Your very vocal on Men in shorts, why not Men in woman's dresses. ????

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If "you" you mean "me", I'm satirical half the time. Soup nasi (I'm not allowed to type the real word here lol) reference is one of those times, and every post here, I've never had a problem with it. In fact, in one of my first posts in the thread, I provided several examples of very classy GQ shorts.

If "you" you mean "me", I'm satirical half the time. Soup nasi (I'm not allowed to type the real word here lol) reference is one of those times, and every post here, I've never had a problem with it. In fact, in one of my first posts in the thread, I provided several examples of very classy GQ shorts.

I get it but many of the people speaking out against shorts remain quiet on the subject??? Hum???

DINNER PANTS (trou - zerz)

Top definition: Phrase used at the point during a meal when one must undo the first button of one's pants to continue eating in comfort. It is used as a warning.

Halfway through the ninth course of the cruise dinner Bob shouted "dinner pants" and popped open his fly.

I've never seen anyone on board that looks like bum.

What I have seen are people dressing up in ill fitted suits which makes them look like they're on their way to a court matter. Someone with dress shorts certainly looks a lot better than an ill fitted suit.

Other comments I also find strange are the arguments that people are setting poor standards for their kids... really? Your children get their standards from a cruise ship? How do they cope at home when you don't have 3 waiters from a poor country serving them at dinner? Or don't have their bedroom turned twice a day?

Comparing people wearing shorts to people smoking is ridiculous. Someone wearing shorts doesn't actually have a risk to you or the ship.

I've never worn shorts in the MDR as that's just me, but after reading all the comments on here I think I'm going to start, just so I can see everyone clutching their pearls and gasp as they see my hairy legs.

...I've never worn shorts in the MDR as that's just me, but after reading all the comments on here I think I'm going to start, just so I can see everyone clutching their pearls and gasp as they see my hairy legs.

... don't change your mantra, paint your pants on

Good manners are always appreciated. In this case that involves having the manners to follow the evenings dress code. For those who are not comfortable doing that, you can have dinner at the buffet. Seems fairly simple and straightforward.

Good manners are always appreciated. In this case that involves having the manners to follow the evenings dress code. For those who are not comfortable doing that, you can have dinner at the buffet. Seems fairly simple and straightforward.

Is that the best you can do? Trot out that old mantra?

Dress code. Dinner at the buffet.....

Royal doesn't care, why do you? Let it go and mind your own business, not how others dress and where they choose to dine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Per the GQ pics. I don't understand wearing a jacket or long sleeve shirt with shorts. I thought it was hot, so shorts were needed? So why wear long sleeves?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I don't understand that either but that is the formal wear in Bermuda. With long socks. So if kilts are formal then that rig is formal.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The comment about the guy in denim overalls every night, then black denim overalls on formal night LOL Farmer Bob.

If it's hot, you can look quite dapper in shorts.

tailored-shorts-2.jpg

On formal night, I'd wear pants, although in this modern age, you can get away with shorts GQ style, because "he's happy, clap along if you know what happiness is to you..."

257CD1FA00000578-0-Shorts_again_The_rapper_donned_Lanvin_shorts_at_last_year_s_Osca-a-4_1423450316289.jpg

The guys in the boxy tux's from over a decade ago look outdated but at least they're trying. I wouldn't sweat it. I've dressed like this for dinner on non-formal at a hot port, same casual dress shoes. Most evenings, I wore pants.

how-to-wear-shorts-gq-03.jpg

I like wearing shorts. But the three pictures you posted, no way! Glad I'm not into the GQ scene. My wife even agrees with me concerning those examples.

Totally agree, problem seems to be manners is a thing of the past

Per the GQ pics. I don't understand wearing a jacket or long sleeve shirt with shorts. I thought it was hot, so shorts were needed? So why wear long sleeves?

1. Style, shorts denote warm weather. Looking at a pic, we might not know it's supposed to be "hot" there even if it isn't at the time. A short sleeve shirt does not have as much impact.

2. Vanity, to show off developed legs/calves.

3. Affluence, "look at me, I'm wearing a bespoke jacket and completely matching pleated shorts".

No different when it's a mild winter day, and a person wears an arctic rated Canada Goose coat. Sometimes, there's nothing practical about it.

On a cruise, you can be old school:https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/outfits-at-sea/

...and if people think the GQ pics are out there, try the wacky punk Gucci 2017 Cruise collection http://www.gq.com/story/gucci-cruise-2017-mens-collection-alessandro-michele

...or, wear something in-between, or simply not care because you are on vacation. Whatever it is, I'm okay with it.

I like wearing shorts. But the three pictures you posted, no way! Glad I'm not into the GQ scene. My wife even agrees with me concerning those examples.

Here's the more conservative way to wear shorts:

http://www.gq.com/story/how-to-wear-shorts-john-legend

PS. If you care, and I'm not saying you need to, avoid anything baggy, loose, non-tapered like big cargo shorts. You don't need to follow the GQ scene to see that sooner or later, the cut/style of the clothes end up across the general retail landscape.

OP: Why not pack some long pants. If not possible then the windjammer has relaxed rules.

If the rules are relaxed for one then they should be relaxed for everyone. Then we effectively have no rules.

If the rules are selectively relaxed then who will be on the committee to judge the worthiness of the fashion choice?

The cruise line may ask for no shorts at dinner, but feel free to ignore that as they are unlikely to enforce it.

We have seen men turned away from MDR if wearing shorts in the evening (including Casual nights).

I have not ready the entire thread, so I apologize if my view has already been mentioned.....but the big problem is the inconsistency with which Royal enforces their own policy.

I personally do not care what people wear to dinner, as long as it is clean and isn't the pool wear they had on complete with the sunscreen smell from their product of choice in the MDR for dinner. We are a very casual couple on a cruise, since DH has to wear a tie and jacket to work everyday.

Some ships will enforce the 'no shorts policy' and others don't. Clearly the decision comes from someone on board (maybe Captain, maybe Head of Hotel Operations), but it is the tone they want set for their ship. All is good.....as long as the cruiser knows 'in advance' what to expect....but their is no way to know before you set sail....so for male cruisers who want to wear shorts in the MDR, bring a pair of khakis, just in case -- is my suggestion.

From my POV boys can wear shorts, I am not 'age sensitive' on this....I will let their parents or travel companions be the judge as to when they are too old to be considered 'boys' and are now 'young men' who should dress more like adults than children.

Snip

If the rules are selectively relaxed then who will be on the committee to judge the worthiness of the fashion choice?

I think the staff gets to be that committee. They're ultimately responsible for the venue and they get to make/enforce the rules as they see fit. Just like any other restaurant with a dress code that may or may not be enforced. Anyone who doesn't follow the rules runs the risk of being turned away. (Or in the case of at least one restaurant I know having their ties cut off and hung up by the front door as an example to others).

The assumption that dress codes are a strict set of rules that must be adhered to is incorrect. They exist as leverage to ensure people don't show up in their underwear and say "it's not in the dress code". It gives the staff the authority to use their discretion to determine is someone is adequately dressed and if the patron doesn't meet their standard of "appropriately dressed" it gives them the authority to refuse service.

Also RCCL probably needs to update their dress code wording, to give a more accurate representation of their requirements.

The idea that a "dress code" is somehow related to any other policy is absurd. It's a guideline and dress codes have always been guidelines subject to fashion trends. Hollywood parties are frequently "black tie" events yet how many people show up in a tux with a black tie, and how many people show up after putting forth the same amount of thought into their dress with no black tie, or even a tux. It's fashion and fashion changes like the wind.

You know, must be Style as both Celebrity and Allures shopping gurus wore shorts in Ports with a dress shirt and jacket. White shoes as well.

Saw similar dress while on Serenade this past November and it was really hot on some islands.

OK. In the interests of fairness, I should inform you that I consider it disrespectful for men to only wear swim trunks in the pool. Therefore, the next cruise that you and I go on together, I expect you to wear a full-length mens' 1900s-style swimsuit. Refusal to do so will be in very poor taste. I won't get mad about about it, as I'm a live and let live kinda guy. But I will consider it rude.

You're free to consider rude anything you want, but I'm not sure that point you're trying to make, since that's hardly the same thing as a posted dress code by the cruise line.

Besides, I would consider it rude to deprive my fellow cruisers of my shirtless torso at the pool.

Here's the more conservative way to wear shorts:

http://www.gq.com/story/how-to-wear-shorts-john-legend

PS. If you care, and I'm not saying you need to, avoid anything baggy, loose, non-tapered like big cargo shorts. You don't need to follow the GQ scene to see that sooner or later, the cut/style of the clothes end up across the general retail landscape.

Another picture of what I wouldn't wear anywhere as far as shorts go. Speaking only for myself. To be clear I'm talking about his. ;o). I'm an old hippie and when bell bottoms and paisley print shirts flooded the dress scene in the late 60's and early 70's I still wore my straight leg Levi's and T-shirts throughout the 60's, 70's and still today. We do follow the published suggested evening dress guidelines for the MDR. Other than that it's cargo shorts, Harley Davidson T-shirts and vans.

I think the staff gets to be that committee. They're ultimately responsible for the venue and they get to make/enforce the rules as they see fit. Just like any other restaurant with a dress code that may or may not be enforced. Anyone who doesn't follow the rules runs the risk of being turned away. (Or in the case of at least one restaurant I know having their ties cut off and hung up by the front door as an example to others).

The assumption that dress codes are a strict set of rules that must be adhered to is incorrect. They exist as leverage to ensure people don't show up in their underwear and say "it's not in the dress code". It gives the staff the authority to use their discretion to determine is someone is adequately dressed and if the patron doesn't meet their standard of "appropriately dressed" it gives them the authority to refuse service.

Also RCCL probably needs to update their dress code wording, to give a more accurate representation of their requirements.

The idea that a "dress code" is somehow related to any other policy is absurd. It's a guideline and dress codes have always been guidelines subject to fashion trends. Hollywood parties are frequently "black tie" events yet how many people show up in a tux with a black tie, and how many people show up after putting forth the same amount of thought into their dress with no black tie, or even a tux. It's fashion and fashion changes like the wind.

My parents owned a restaurant when I was younger (5-20 years old) and they would say the EXACT same thing about the purpose of the dress code! While there were some aspects that are associated with board of health rules, many were guidelines. And the point was to have rules in place to deal with those that needed to be reprimanded!!

So you don't like Men in shorts in MDR. What about Men in dresses???

You don't get it. It's not about what I personally like or don't like. I don't gasp at the sight of a dude's legs or storm out of the MDR or consider my dinner "ruined" or any of the other silly straw men people throw out. I just think it's good manners to follow the requested dress code of whatever social situation I'm in, if there is one. Is that really such a crazy notion? No need to make it more complicated than that with contrived hypotheticals.

Another picture of what I wouldn't wear anywhere as far as shorts go. Speaking only for myself. To be clear I'm talking about his. ;o). I'm an old hippie and when bell bottoms and paisley print shirts flooded the dress scene in the late 60's and early 70's I still wore my straight leg Levi's and T-shirts throughout the 60's, 70's and still today. We do follow the published suggested evening dress guidelines for the MDR. Other than that it's cargo shorts, Harley Davidson T-shirts and vans.

Nothing wrong with your style, nobody's judging on a cruise, at least they shouldn't be. Just like there was a time hiphop influenced low rise baggy jeans, then they went skinny, and now they're back to a bit more relaxed still tapered. Or when boxy suits went modern fit, then invisible socks+dress shoes dominated the ads.

Fashion promotes change to push market spending. I like cargo shorts too but mine are the updated slim tapered... which I understand is not the cut you like, it's ok.