HAL survey

kira5

On our last Alaska cruise the steward, whom we hadn't had (or needed) much conversation with came by on one of the last days to talk about the HAL survey. He wanted to make sure we would not mix up 1 (for worst) and 10 (for best). He reminded me that he had brought me ice a couple of times. He did seem a little anxious to ensure that we understood. We had been satisfied with the way our room was maintained.

We did receive an e-mail survey request shortly after coming home. I've since wondered if the results of comments and scores on the survey are conveyed to the stewards or their supervisors with possible negative consequences.

I think that the results are shared and it does impact the crew.

More and more I am coming across these surveys from different companies and the staff that served me are telling me that on a scale of 1 - 10, only a 10 matters. Anything less than a 10 is seen negatively.

It is sad to see that many large companies have such useless practices in place.

There are also comment cards available at the front desk that you can use during the cruise for both positive and negative comments. We have used them in the past and have gotten replies from the department heads of the area within a day thanking us for our comments.

More and more I am coming across these surveys from different companies and the staff that served me are telling me that on a scale of 1 - 10, only a 10 matters. Anything less than a 10 is seen negatively.

It is sad to see that many large companies have such useless practices in place.

This is why I almost never to fill out surveys. If there are truly only 2 choices that matter, then don't bother giving me the options of 2-9

Thanks for sharing.... I too was kinda uncomfortable by the aggressiveness of the surveys. Especially when sitting in the Lido on my trips. I don't experience this when eating in the MDR's.

I do a lot of surveys because I feel decision makers are listening. But I draw the line when people are making suggestive responses.

When doing surveys.... do fill in the comment section if there is one to justify a less than perfect 10 response.

I have mentioned this before -- they do not have time to read all those surveys.

When we got home from April 2016 from a not-so-good cruise, DH filled out the online survey. I was too mad to fill mine out. After a couple of months of discussion, we ended up cancelling a couple of cruise. Our TA had to do this. The person in Seattle asked what was wrong and she told that person everything that DH had written on his survey. No further comment for quite a while. In July we got a call from Seattle -- they had not read DH's survey and were surprised at all the negative comments DH had. They had to hunt through many weeks of survey's.

Just proof that the survey was never going to be read until we cancelled a couple of cruises.

After our last cruise, I had no problem awarding 10's to the hard working crew. I also wrote a letter commending several crew members for special recognition. I also pointed out some extremely rude employees at embarkation. I expected I would hear something back but nothing. I believe you're right--nobody reads these things.

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

I expected I would hear something back but nothing. I believe you're right--nobody reads these things.

Maybe not from a customer service point of view, but I do believe that the results are used in the employee / crew performance management process. That is what the OP wondered - could it impact negatively on the crew?

We have never had any feedback from our end-of-cruise surveys so we stick to Comment Cards that we drop off at the Front Desk during the cruise.

I asked our Hotel Manager, Merc Pells, on a recent cruise about the Comment Cards and was assured that they were a topic of the daily staff meetings. With the cards, the praise, as well as the complaints, are given/resolved at the ship's highest levels immediately.

Our January 2017 cruise was the first time when we did not receive a response to the survey. 4 previous cruise surveys had personal responses - which seem odd now that I read others comments above.

We have gotten what looked like computer-generated replies a few times and personally-written replies at other times but we always receive some form of acknowledgement. And most of our surveys contain a mixture of compliments and complaints.

Electronic 'end of cruise' surveys, when sent in, are compiled in a "voyage report" which includes an overall tally of the "numbers given" as well as the written comments. Those reports are send back to the ship, attention the hotel director.

The hotel director will forward the overall "numbers" as well as the comments to the respective Department managers. The Department managers will discuss the numbers and comments, both positive and negative, with their Dept. supervisors, and with the concerned staff, either directly or indirectly (through/by their supervisor)

What poster Crew News states about the LUK cards (let us know cards) is true. Those comments are placed in a daily internal email generated by the GRM (guest relations manager) and forwarded to all Dept managers. The managers/supervisors will discuss the contents of the cards with the involved staff.

I have mentioned this before -- they do not have time to read all those surveys.

When we got home from April 2016 from a not-so-good cruise, DH filled out the online survey. I was too mad to fill mine out. After a couple of months of discussion, we ended up cancelling a couple of cruise. Our TA had to do this. The person in Seattle asked what was wrong and she told that person everything that DH had written on his survey. No further comment for quite a while. In July we got a call from Seattle -- they had not read DH's survey and were surprised at all the negative comments DH had. They had to hunt through many weeks of survey's.

Just proof that the survey was never going to be read until we cancelled a couple of cruises.

This has not been my experience. I have found they read the online surveys quickly after completion. For my last cruise in October, I completed the online survey two days after getting back from the cruise and the next day I had an email asking for confirmation about a couple of issues I mentioned in the survey, with personal questions indicating they had read the survey. I have no idea if they will do anything about what I mentioned, but it was certainly read, and read quickly.

I would not consider a "9" to be a negarive..... it means that there is always room for improvement.

This has also been our way of seeing things. In my mind, anyone who feels the need to specifically request a 10 does not deserve one. ;)

This has also been our way of seeing things. In my mind, anyone who feels the need to specifically request a 10 does not deserve one. ;)

On our first cruises, the on-baord surveys didn't have 10 as an option. The cruise director used to explain that nothing was perfect so they didn't expect it to be anything better than a 9.

I can see the sense in thinking that anything other than the highest score is failing. If you rate something lower than the highest, then in some views, it has failed to meet your expectations -- sometimes the failure is minor like the decor of a room, or beyond their control, like rough seas. But it was a failure nonetheless. The options between unacceptable and perfect give you the option of indicating how much of an impact the "failure" had your experience. A 9 means it was a failure, but not worthy of too much worry or complaint. A 2 means that it was almost unacceptable, but something redeemed it tiny bit.

I hate these surveys that seem to require an inflated rating. Personally, I think an 8 or 9 shows that I was perfectly satified with my service and feel a 10 should be reserved for those that go above and beyond. But, as stated, anything less than 10 is seen as a criticism.

From now on, I think I'll just resort to the comment cards.

Although we've received responses to our online surveys in the past, we haven't had any feedback from our last cruises. I do know that the "Let Us Know" comment cards are read and passed along to the crew members because I took time to specifically mention our cabin stewards and dining stewards. All of them thanked me for my kind words; in fact, our servers both gave me great hugs.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

We have never ever had a crew member ask us to rate them high. We always fill out the survey & have had feed back from the company. I used to complain about the coffee in the Lido. On the next cruise there was a letter in our cabin saying they hoped my complaint from our last cruise had been corrected. On another cruise with a different line I had a few negative comments & they phoned me at home asking about the why & how they could fix it. I also received a voucher of $50 credit for my next cruise. We always mention by name for any crew member that gave us good service. We've never had to rate any crew member as not good enough. By the way the coffee in the Lido has improved greatly on our new Years cruise.

Allan

We complete the surveys as much as possible.

What is irritating is if you are on a Collectors cruise (or a B2B), they send the survey out for the 1st segment while you are still cruising.

The window to complete it is very short so, by the time you are off your cruise it is too late to do it.

I don't mind completing it on board if we have unlimited internet but if we are paying by the minute, it's not going to happen.

Really wish HAL would increase the window to respond.

Use the Let Us Know cards on board a lot to recognize those going the extra mile and/or making our cruise special.

We have never ever had a crew member ask us to rate them high.
Hmm.... perhaps the next time a survey is presented to me and someone asks them it must be a 10..... I'm going to ensure that CM's name is on the survey suggesting the survey should be skewed to a 10.

I got a reply back when I filled out a survey on our Rotterdam cruise last year . I was negative about a few aspects , HAL asked why . So they do read them .
On one cruise I made some minor complaints on the survey. On boarding our next cruise there was a note card apologizing and saying that they hoped our new cruise would be fully satisfactory.