Baby in diapers in the pool - Would you say something?

HawksFan74

Some Princess ships have shallow splash pools for children.

Same rule applies -- no diapers or swim diapers or non-toilet trained children allowed in them.

Sent from my laptop using MTF

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On my one , and only, Disney cruise, we observed many toddler aged children wearing swim diapers in the pools. Previous to cruising, I also read on the DIS boards many parents suggesting to just skip the toddler swim diapers so no one knows if the little ones are potty trained or not.

On the budget board?

:rolleyes:

:D

I would have said something to a staff member for sure. Our local community pool has been closed several times because of failed swim nappies that the babies wear for lessons.

The pool water will flow through the "swim diaper", so if there is a poopy mess, the water is still being contaminated. Large municipal pools are large enough to dilute this hazard...but ship pools are NOT. That's why there is a NO DIAPER rule. Urine is not the hazard that fecal material is.

Swimmers don't play in one's diaper pail so diapers shouldn't play in the pool...

I remember the sign we had at our pool: "We don't swim in your toilet, please don't pee in our pool!" An old one, but still good.

Ah, Isla de Margarita, I believe it was November of 1998, a young girl had been stung by a jellyfish, the excursion staff were looking for a volunteer to urinate on the little girls leg! True story!

I think that one is what they call "Urban Legend".

The pool water will flow through the "swim diaper", so if there is a poopy mess, the water is still being contaminated. Large municipal pools are large enough to dilute this hazard...but ship pools are NOT. That's why there is a NO DIAPER rule. Urine is not the hazard that fecal material is.

I don't think I've even heard that before. Either way they should have a splash pool for the babies and be done with it. I don't even like to see the diaper trained ones in the pool. You know they're peeing whenever they feel like it.

I think that one is what they call "Urban Legend".

Vinegar is about the only thing that will do anything- so they say.

Oh good golly.....you bet your wet diaper I'd say something.

That a parent could be so selfish in bringing a diapered baby into a pool is not really surprising, as it is both sad AND disgusting!

Total dis-regard for the world around them...... :rolleyes:

UGH!

Anybody remember the little boy in Atlanta who died and the cause was traced back to a popular pool that was contaminated with fecal matter?

It's not just Noro to worry about, it's C Diff and plain old dysentery.

Peeing in a pool is gross, but I don't know of any life threatening diseases caused by it. I hope I never have to find out.

So called swim diapers have no exemption and they do fail. No they are not doing the right thing by comprimising the health of all other passengers.

In one of my college summers I ran a pool at a boys camp and fully understand the concept of pool sanitation. We had to submit a water sample to the state every week to show we were in compliance. If I saw a baby in the pool wearing any kind of diapers, I would report it not to a deck attendant but a supervisor. This is a very serious sanitary issue and needs to be reported quickly. The pool has to be drained, completely cleaned and then refilled. It is not a simple task.

My personal feelings is that anyone who would endanger the health of a whole cruise ship needs to be put off the ship at the next available port. It is a very selfish thing to do.

Definitely talk to a crew member...if he's not making a move to do something, go to the passenger services desk. If there's an accident, the pool will have be completely drained and cleaned. the pool will be out of commission for several hours and other passengers will not be happy campers.

When my daughter was little and taking swimming classes at a community college, parents were given a list of rules including making sure your kids use the bathroom before class. One day we had arrived and were told there was a pooping accident and all of the classes for the rest of the day were cancelled (and we can go to the office and get a coupon for $5 off of a future class). I'm sure the school weren't too happy this happened.

And swim diapers don't guard against contamination.

There was a baby in the pool pretty much daily on our Pacific Princess Christmas cruise, and my immediate comment to my hubby was, "well, I guess I won't be using be pool this cruise!" [emoji57] Crew members didn't seem to care at all as this went on the whole 2 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No...swim diaper are made to contain poop and are Made for the pool. They were doing the right thing.

It doesn't sound like princess is the cruiseline for you, as they don't allow diapers,

including swim diapers in any pool.

See the last paragraph on page 12:

http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/other/Princess_Cruise_Answer_Book.pdf.pdf

There was a baby in the pool pretty much daily on our Pacific Princess Christmas cruise, and my immediate comment to my hubby was, "well, I guess I won't be using be pool this cruise!" [emoji57] Crew members didn't seem to care at all as this went on the whole 2 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So you didn't say a word & let 1 couple with this kid possibly ruin it for everyone.

You are correct that swim diapers for babies are strictly prohibited -by the US Center for Disease Control (CDC), as they have proof that swim diapers leak, allowing human waste to pollute the water in the pool. This can be a serious health hazard.

But what about adult diapers? Most mass market cruises have far more adults in diapers than babies. There are no regulations about adult diapers.

Many cruises will have a rather high number of incontinent passengers onboard. As a former Cruise Line Dining Room Manager, I long ago lost count of the number of dining chairs that had to be removed from service to have the urine stains removed.

Those same people are using the swimming pools. If they cannot avoid soiling their clothing and the furniture, it is unlikely they be able to avoid polluting the swimming pool.

Now let's look at the "suggestion" that people shower before entering the pool. This suggestion is a very healthy one. Anyone who has recently emptied his/her bowels will have some fecal matter in that area of their body. Without a good shower, some of that fecal matter will end up in the pool - a potentially dangerous situation. Next time you take a cruise, try to spend a bit of time near the outside shower near a swimming pool, and count the number of people who use the shower BEFORE swimming.

This will be a very easy exercise, as the total number you witness is nearly guaranteed to be zero.

Yes, babies wearing swim diapers in swimming pools should never be allowed, and the cruise lines should be very active in policing these rare events. But the far bigger problem is the very high number of adults on cruises who are not clean, or cannot avoid relieving themselves in the water you want to swim in.

What are the cruise lines going to do about that?

So how are you going to tell which passengers are incontinent or not? Again the reference to ANY adult urinating in the pool would apply. Adults can decide when and when not to do whatever in the pool. Children can not. Sound like you have a problem with older people. We are you encouraging people to stand around the showers and watch what others do. Sounds a little off to me to be suggesting that.

How many drunks do you think pee in those pools?

I'm trying to find where is says babies aren't allowed in pools. I found where it says non potty trained children aren't allowed in saunas and hot tubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The threat does not come from urine. It comes from fecal matter, which is not contained in a swim diaper, even if you don't see a solid matter floating in the pool. If it is in the diaper, the contamination IS in the water in the pool. It can be deadly to some, and dangerous to all.

It doesn't sound like princess is the cruiseline for you, as they don't allow diapers, including swim diapers in any pool.

This isn't unique to Princess. As far as I'm aware, this rule is the same across all cruise lines, with the exception of "splash" areas that don't contain an actual pool.

Regarding notices restricting pool use to those wearing diapers - I haven't seen this posting near cruise ship pools,but at our former Florida condo complex,there were signs at each pool that pool use was restricted to those wearing diapers ,either babies or adults.

Given that there were many residents in their "golden years" ( us included in that age bracket ),there was nothing unusual about those notices.

While my DH and I enjoy vacations both on cruises and resorts we refrain from using the pools and the hot tubs. Just not appealing to us any longer.

The ones the kill me are the ones that say "our vacation was ruined because our baby had been looking forward to going in the pool". Really? Your 8 month old told you that if they can't go in the pool they would be miserable? Does your baby go swimming every day at home? I just don't get it. Most don't take their toddlers swimming every day so giving it up for a week certainly isn't a game changer.