Has anyone upgraded a stateroom after you've set sail?

jeepers13

We'll be on the Zuiderdam embarking March 8 to Panama Canal for our 20th anniversary. :)

We're currently booked in a VE verandah stateroom and the prices have dropped. They offered us an upgrade to VA (not really that different) or we could move up to an SS suite, with an upcharge of $700. It would cost +$2K to book that room today.

I'm curious if anyone has upgraded their room after the ship has set sail. What kind of deal did you get?

Thanks.

We've only tried that once and that was several years ago. We had booked our first, and turned out to be only, now known as a Signature Suite. It was fine but we immediately missed a number of aspects of what is now a Neptune Suite. We went to the Front Desk and asked about the potential to move to a Neptune. They were still boarding and were busy but said they'd get back to us. They did just after we departed Port Everglades and offered us a Neptune but it was for the full fare difference so we declined. I counter offered and got a "we'll get back to you" kind of response. I have no idea if they sold the empty suite(s) or not but it wasn't to us. Quite frankly the one consistent thing about HAL, and maybe other cruise lines for that matter so as to not single them out, is inconsistency. How they handled our particular situation doesn't mean that's how they always handle that situation.

It was embarkation day on a 2-week cruise to Alaska. I was sharing a cabin with the mother (we had never met) of a friend; he was across the passageway with his cousin. There were balcony cabins available, so we considered movin' on up.

When my friend checked, it would be full price for the new cabins. We all decided against.

Just my opinion, but I would think that the front desk would not be too excited about moving you, as it likely would be alot of paperwork for them and extra work for other members of the crew (such as the cabin stewards who would have to adjust their routines and assignments.

... as it likely would be alot of paperwork for them and extra work for other members of the crew ...
We hear often about people being moved to a different cabin when there are problems with their initial one, so I don't think it's a big deal. We could have moved up on the P'dam if I was willing to pay the asking price.

We hear often about people being moved to a different cabin when there are problems with their initial one, so I don't think it's a big deal. We could have moved up on the P'dam if I was willing to pay the asking price.

Perhaps but one has to wonder if the asking price is high to deter guests from making the change. I can understand being moved to an empty cabin if there are issues with the current cabin; there would be no payment of any kind required in that situation.

Perhaps but one has to wonder if the asking price is high to deter guests from making the change.
I don't doubt that. If the word got around that you could book a cheap cabin and then move up cheaply once on board it would become a common practice, effectively diluting prices.

I know a couple of people from our Roll Calls who moved last Fall on Oosterdam and one who moved on Kdam TA. On Oosterdam the couple moved to a Verandah from a Window and on Kdam the move was from an Inside to a Window. Both had to pay an Upsell Price and they were not moved up for no charge! They told me that Front Desk checked with Seattle on what to charge them, etc.

Most of the cruises I have been on as of late had a sign at the front desk saying something like "the ship is sold out. Please do not ask about upgrading cabins. "

Way back, the Pinnacle Suite was available and we received a letter offering it to us for X $. We didn't even go inquire. The price was way too high. (By the way, someone did accept the offer).

Way back when HAL had friends and family promotions. There were twelve of us traveling together. We were the only ones who had cruised with Holland. When we got to check in, with a lot of consulting with the powers that be we were given our room card. We had gotten a terrific upgrade. I have know idea what the category was, but it had two queen beds, veranda, and a terrific bathroom. The stationary was printed with our name. It took a while to get our luggage because it had been delivered to our original assigned room. It was a most relaxing trip in Alaska.

We were on the Prinsendam on a B2B2B in the Black Sea, Med. then a TA home. In Rome we got an up grade from inside to a balcony at no cost. There was a price drop on our cabin or take the up grade which we did. Enjoyed the sea days on the balcony weather was great all the way across.

Allan