Belkin Surge Protector with USB ports

SherriZ366

We also use one, mostly precruise as we have been driving to port since retiring. We stay two nights pre-cruise on our commute so the Belkin comes in handy.

We just got off a b2b on the Rhapsody. The first leg we had the Belkin in our carry on luggage. Customs confiscated it at the port and gave us a receipt to pick it up at the end of our cruise. We inquired many times and at many places onboard about where to pick it up. Everyone was very helpful and we were told many incorrect places about where to find it. Finally, we found the place and it was not with the pile of other confiscated stuff. The customs woman looked thoroughly and apologized that it was just not there. We left knowing we were SOL.

Just a warning to all who continue to have their Belkin with them, leave it in the car or you'll risk losing it for good.

Three weeks ago, customs confiscated mine.

Customs doesn't normally check your bags when boarding a ship, and if they ever did, they wouldn't give you a receipt to pick it up at the end of your cruise. I suspect that you are confusing customs with ship's security.

Customs doesn't normally check your bags when boarding a ship, and if they ever did, they wouldn't give you a receipt to pick it up at the end of your cruise. I suspect that you are confusing customs with ship's security.

Perhaps i am mistaken. It was at Tampa in the terminal at the point where you put your bags on the belt for scanning and you walk through a metal scanner. These aren't staffed by ship security, they are port authority workers. When we tried to retrieve our Belkin, my husband said the worker that could not locate our property had a customs patch on her jacket.

I thought any device with 3 prongs was on the no go list? That power cube appears to have a ground prong.

Sent from my ASUS MeMO Pad 7 using Forums mobile app

No, a two-prong will definitely not have a surge protector, but there are many three-prong multiplier devices that don't have surge protectors. You just need to check the description of the item.

I also have one of those and no longer use it on board. First of all, The surge protection feature is totally useless for any of your USB devices. It is only for the 120v A/C portion of the adapter. If you only plan to use it to plug in a hair dryer or other device, the surge protection is pretty moot to begin with. Any decent USB charger will isolate your USB devices being charged from the ships electrical system. Worst case scenario is that the USB charger might fail because of a serious "Surge" but your device will be fine. Even the chance of that happening is pretty slim.

I suggest something similar to the 2 following options:

https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Anker-Charger-PowerPort-PowerIQ/dp/B01LCDT7FC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1486812097&sr=8-2&keywords=anker+iq

If you thing it might not fit properly in the available plug, then this:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-6-Port-Charger-PowerPort-iPhone/dp/B00P936188/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486812097&sr=8-1&keywords=anker+iq

I've had an older version of the latter for a few years now and works wonderfully.

dp

I was looking at the 6 port one you gave in the 2nd link but it states in the description it has surge protection.

MultiProtect Safety System Surge protection, temperature control and more advanced safety features keep you and your devices safe.

I was looking at the 6 port one you gave in the 2nd link but it states in the description it has surge protection.

MultiProtect Safety System Surge protection, temperature control and more advanced safety features keep you and your devices safe.

I know that would seem confusing. But this device does not have a ground plug. Only a 2 prong plug. Technically, that description would be more accurate if it were called voltage regulation. It does not operate in the same way that surge protected grounded power bars do.

dp

I would recommend not taking the risk of a fire. If you have not ever fought a fire, you don't want to be an untrained civilian facing one. Many years of humping hose so I have been there, done that, albeit ashore only. Please refrain from taking the device, I could pitch in aboard but would prefer to not have to. You don't want to be that one exception when things go bad. You put more than yourself at risk onboard.

Thanks.

Have a great cruise!

What about the surge protector on every blow dryer? I have looked everywhere and can not find a blow dryer that does not have one.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I've never heard of a hair dryer with a surge protector. Could you provide an example? Are you thinking of a ground fault "reset" button? That's not surge protection, which protects the device from high voltages, like lightining strikes. That is for ground fault protection to protect you when the device develops a ground to keep from shocking you.

What about the surge protector on every blow dryer? I have looked everywhere and can not find a blow dryer that does not have one.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

That's a GFCI (in case you drop dryer into water) on hair dryers, not a surge protector. So, dryers are OK to bring aboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been using the Mogics power 'donut'. Comes with a 3' retractable cord, 2 USB plugs, 5 regular plugs & a travel adapter. It all packs into a tiny (maybe 4") case. It's never been questioned, and the room steward on our last RCI cruise liked it so much he was going to try and order one for himself! Available at mogics.com or on Amazon.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I also have one of those and no longer use it on board. First of all, The surge protection feature is totally useless for any of your USB devices. It is only for the 120v A/C portion of the adapter. If you only plan to use it to plug in a hair dryer or other device, the surge protection is pretty moot to begin with. Any decent USB charger will isolate your USB devices being charged from the ships electrical system. Worst case scenario is that the USB charger might fail because of a serious "Surge" but your device will be fine. Even the chance of that happening is pretty slim.

I suggest something similar to the 2 following options:

https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Anker-Charger-PowerPort-PowerIQ/dp/B01LCDT7FC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1486812097&sr=8-2&keywords=anker+iq

If you thing it might not fit properly in the available plug, then this:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-6-Port-Charger-PowerPort-iPhone/dp/B00P936188/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486812097&sr=8-1&keywords=anker+iq

I've had an older version of the latter for a few years now and works wonderfully.

dp

Have both a Belkin and the second one you recommend. The Belkin gets used rarely now at home, while the second is always in use. Mine has a long chord to plug in which makes it easier to declutter your desk by moving your charging items to a shelf. Also I'm a bed reader, so this longer chord plus a long 10 ft charging cord makes it perfect for me to charge while reading in bed. Definitely time to leave the Belkin at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have both a Belkin and the second one you recommend. The Belkin gets used rarely now at home, while the second is always in use. Mine has a long chord to plug in which makes it easier to declutter your desk by moving your charging items to a shelf. Also I'm a bed reader, so this longer chord plus a long 10 ft charging cord makes it perfect for me to charge while reading in bed. Definitely time to leave the Belkin at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

thumb.gif

We also hardly ever use the Belkin anymore. But the Anker iQ is our main charger in our Kitchen.

dp