pre-paid visa or cash for onboard expenses

PippenBooBoo

I dont like to use credit cards. Which is more recommended for onboard expenses: cash ($300 pp- I understand) or a prepaid visa?

Thank you!

But remember that your room card stops working as a "purchase card" when you hit the $300, if that is what you give in, till you give more cash. :(

Be prepared when you have spent $290 and want to buy a round of drinks to find the order has been refused!! What will your drinking buddies think of you when the that happens? :mad:

But remember that your room card stops working as a "purchase card" when you hit the $300, if that is what you give in, till you give more cash. :(

Be prepared when you have spent $290 and want to buy a round of drinks to find the order has been refused!! What will your drinking buddies think of you when the that happens? :mad:

LOL luckily I have the UBP so no worries.

Not sure I understand:confused:

When you check in you give them a regular credit card. The benefit of that is you can dispute any mistakes that are not corrected. . . Not that mistakes are common.

But you go to the front desk during your cruise and pay your bill with cash. You can check your daily balance on your TV.

You say you don't like to use credit cards but if you pay them off in full every month there are benefits that make it better than using cash. (NOT Debit cards)

Cash only! I can control how much I'm spending and I'm not giving opportunity for the cruiseline to accidentally charge me for something I didn't buy :cool:

Pretty sure if you pay your account off and a late charge comes up (mini bar or missing towel, etc) they will send you a bill that you are equally on the hook for as you would be if a credit card was used. In fact, possibly worse if it pops up before you leave the ship. Have heard of them detaining people with an outstanding balance when they try to leave the ship. I prefer using a cc, can always dispute the charge after the fact if need be.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When you check in you give them a regular credit card. The benefit of that is you can dispute any mistakes that are not corrected. . . Not that mistakes are common.

But you go to the front desk during your cruise and pay your bill with cash. You can check your daily balance on your TV.

You say you don't like to use credit cards but if you pay them off in full every month there are benefits that make it better than using cash. (NOT Debit cards)

So I can put a CC down but tell them not to charge it-- that Id like to pay cash as I go?

Cash only! I can control how much I'm spending and I'm not giving opportunity for the cruiseline to accidentally charge me for something I didn't buy :cool:

If you check your account frequently that won't happen because you will tell guest services it's not your charge

If all else fails you dispute it on your credit card

You are not responsible for charges you didn't make

LOL luckily I have the UBP so no worries.

But you cannot buy a round with the UBP!! So that worry will still be there!! :D

I dont like to use credit cards. Which is more recommended for onboard expenses: cash ($300 pp- I understand) or a prepaid visa?

Thank you!

I do hope you have a credit card though

You know in case....

You need to use the medical onboard facility

You miss the ship and need to find your way home

You have an emergency at home that requires you to leave the ship

You get hurt in port and need a hospital

I'm assuming you travel with $20,000 in cash rather than use a credit card?

Using a credit card give you so much more I cannot imagine anyone not using one on the ship. Imagine you get ready to go and you find there are several charges you don't think are yours. You can contest them but you also want to get off the ship with cash you are stuck. With a credit card you can contest the charge once you get the bill.

Much better way to go all around.

So I can put a CC down but tell them not to charge it-- that Id like to pay cash as I go?

You don't have to tell them anything. Just give them a valid credit card when you check in. Then pay every couple days in cash.

They won't actually charge your card till the cruise is over.

Remember, credit NOT debit

Yes but it may confuse them if you ask them not to charge anyhing. Just give your card and evey few days or whatever you like, check your charges and go to Guest Services and give them cash for your account (in the amount that is on your folio). Your card wont actually be charged until the last night so as long as your account is zero since you have given cash, you will not have any charges.

You do not even need to tell them to 'not charge it'. Just go down each day and pay the current balance in cash. The only time you CC gets charged is at the end of the cruise for any remaining balance. They may get an authorization at the beginning but an actual charge will never be processed. DCs are different.

You do not even need to tell them to 'not charge it'. Just go down each day and pay the current balance in cash. The only time you CC gets charged is at the end of the cruise for any remaining balance. They may get an authorization at the beginning but an actual charge will never be processed. DCs are different.

This is great info. It never occurred to me that you could do this. I'll just put a CC in place and pay out every few days- although I don't anticipate having to do that too much as I have the UBP and SDP and have paid my grats online. DCs I think is the NCL lingo? I can use my debit visa for any emergencies. Knock on wood.

This is great info. It never occurred to me that you could do this. I'll just put a CC in place and pay out every few days- although I don't anticipate having to do that too much as I have the UBP and SDP and have paid my grats online. DCs I think is the NCL lingo? I can use my debit visa for any emergencies. Knock on wood.

DC is debit card. You really do not want to use those for your account. Lots of reasons.

No I didn't mean to put my debit card on my account. I meant in a medical emergency etc.

I would never put my debit card on the account.

The last thing I would do in a medical emergency is use a debit card. You get some protection using a good credit card if there are erroneous charges, debit card you're SOL.

I usually just go to guest services on the first day give them around 500 bucks cash and then if there's any remaining cash on the last day go pick it up.