NCL supposedly includes 2 out of 4 choices of freebies...

azgkrudi

There is a very nonvocal group that reads cc that agrees entirely that it's both misleading and designed to be so, and pretty consistent with NCL's marketing M.O. over the last few years. But, frankly, it's exhausting to be critical of NCL on C.C.

If the Captain walked up to you and punched you in the face without any provocation on your next cruise, there is a group here who would scramble to argue that the contract allows it and that you have no legal recourse other than arbitrating in Florida and that you're an idiot for booking a cruise without knowing what the contract says. And then you'd read about how you must be lying and then the dreaded "there are two sides to every story" post would pop up around page 2 or 3 of the thread.

This might be the stupidest thing I've ever read.

On some level I understand the frustration OP is expressing, even if I don't quite empathize with it's sustained intensity, especially in the face of the big picture of the offer and it's ultimate value.

When I was booking my last cruise, I admittedly didn't read the fine print and T&C's before starting my reservation, and happily selected my two "Free at Sea" Promotions, which included the UBP, so when I got to the summary page I was immediately puzzled and taken aback when the total price was suddenly $200 higher than it had been just before the Promotion selection page. I will also admit that my knee-jerk reaction was one of "what a ripoff/bait-and-switch", when I looked at the details of the cruise bill which now included 2 $99 service charges for the beverage package. I almost stopped the booking right in it's tracks right there, and asked my DH if she thought it was still worth it. She told me to run the numbers and she'll trust my judgment after that. A very quick bit of mental math and I realized that the $200 for gratuities was less than our likely bar bill for a week and significantly less than the usual cost of the UBP (which would almost double our total cruise cost), since the whole reason we were quick to book was the idea of the included beverage program (we did a UBP on RCI for our Honeymoon and it just made it so much less stressful re: budgeting). At that point, the initial anger of having been reeled in with the classic Free (astrerisk) come-on subsided since the UBP promotion was still an amazing value even with paying for the gratuities. Now I just am happy I can get a for all intents and purposes all inclusive cruise within my budget.

B-b-but those are just ....words. They aren't even big and bold like the word "FREE" on the website. No pretty pictures, either. Who's going to read all of that, I've got stuff to do. Where's my credit card?

<click>

<click>

WHAT THA???!!! Damn you, NCL, and your trickery! Trying to fool me and charge me for something that is optional. What about the old people who don't read? What if I booked and changed my mind the next day? Other than cancel and get a full refund, what am I supposed to do? Screw NCL. $14.22 per day for unlimited ($15 or less) drinks is too much.

On some level I understand the frustration OP is expressing, even if I don't quite empathize with it's sustained intensity, especially in the face of the big picture of the offer and it's ultimate value.

When I was booking my last cruise, I admittedly didn't read the fine print and T&C's before starting my reservation, and happily selected my two "Free at Sea" Promotions, which included the UBP, so when I got to the summary page I was immediately puzzled and taken aback when the total price was suddenly $200 higher than it had been just before the Promotion selection page. I will also admit that my knee-jerk reaction was one of "what a ripoff/bait-and-switch", when I looked at the details of the cruise bill which now included 2 $99 service charges for the beverage package. I almost stopped the booking right in it's tracks right there, and asked my DH if she thought it was still worth it. She told me to run the numbers and she'll trust my judgment after that. A very quick bit of mental math and I realized that the $200 for gratuities was less than our likely bar bill for a week and significantly less than the usual cost of the UBP (which would almost double our total cruise cost), since the whole reason we were quick to book was the idea of the included beverage program (we did a UBP on RCI for our Honeymoon and it just made it so much less stressful re: budgeting). At that point, the initial anger of having been reeled in with the classic Free (astrerisk) come-on subsided since the UBP promotion was still an amazing value even with paying for the gratuities. Now I just am happy I can get a for all intents and purposes all inclusive cruise within my budget.

Had a similar experience. However, when I realized the extra cost was for tips, was actually glad this was taken care of. First, my DH has been in the food service business for over 20 years and he's seen his staff consistently lose tips from people who get discounts or free meals and tip on the price they pay--not the price of the food/drinks they order. So we actually appreciate that NCL is making sure their staff doesn't get stiffed by this promotion. Next, since we carry as little cash as possible and try to pay for as much of our vacation before we leave, its good to know we have paid ahead for general tips. We can then use what little cash we carry for those who go the extra mile.

I'm sorry if people think that free isn't free since you have pay gratuities, but food service discounts are for food/beverages...tips are still on the guest. This is true of any establishment, not just NCL.

For us, we would rather just tip as we go since we only have 1 or 2 drinks a day. So the "free" perk would be better for us if it was truly free since we wouldn't drink enough to tip $200 for the week. But I could see how heavier drinkers could stiff the staff by not tipping for all drinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

began actively searching for other cruiselines to find a cheaper bermuda trip. in my research i discovered carnival has really NO deals at all with your purchase. i think drinks were about 60 or so a day PP. no free internet nor SDP. same with royal. but royal does have a mid level drink pack for non alcoholic stuff for about 26. their internet is cheaper than on the BA for sure. i think list was about 16 per day unlimited. cheaper than 125 per gig on the BA. i think celebrity was one line that did have a pic 2 plan and for 300 more you can have all 4 perks.

but the comment to be made here is that NCL does offer more 'free stuff' than the other lines i researched. im pretty sure when i researched the disney and QM2 cruises that they didnt have the free perks either.

also i found that other lines arent cheaper. for the same period in september, bermuda was more on carnival. no perks! therefore by the numbers NCL is cheaper if you want the perks.

i do admit that many people dont read the fine print but the t/c could be better placed on some pages and the gratuities on every cruise line are not always easy to find. i found NCL announces them at muster though.

I keep reading how people complain about the "free" UBP.

Get over it

First do not choose it if you do not want to pay for the charge.

Also when you see an ad for a Free cruise or trip that you might have won, isn't there always something to pay like taxes, port fees etc.

When you get a coupon for a free dinner (buy one get one free), don't they put on the bottom of the check Suggested "gratuity", because people would tip on the total check in stead of what it would be before the coupon.

My first NCL cruise I had the totally free package and in my theory people were not tipping when they got drinks when they first ran that promotion and the bar servers really lost out ( I always added a tip on the slip). So they had to do something to compensate the staff. I only hope the money does really go to them, but I am sure they take a cut (hence the 18% instead of 15%)

Book a banquet or wedding now they add the gratuity or service charge on. SAME THING FOLKS. (lots of time the banquet servers get a flat rate for working they don't get whole service charge). It just covers their pay.

Sounds great, right? You go to make your 2 choices on the booking, and all of a sudden there's a $223.92 "Choice Promo Service Charge". So what is free about that?! Really clever of NCL to try to sneak that by the unsuspecting prospective customer.

Disclaimer: If you don't choose that option but only the standard cruise fare option, you wouldn't be charged the "Choice Promo Service Charge" - but most folks would be saying heck yeah, I'll choose 2 free options, so they click on one, and not even realize they are still paying for those "FREE" options.

We have always bought the beverage package before once we got on board, and haven't cruised NCL in awhile now, but when we saw the promo we thought, "Oh, that's a great deal with those "FREE" choices." NOT! Good thing I was paying attention.

I'm sure there are others who have already posted about this here, but I was so ticked off I had to create my own post with my frustration. I wasn't patient enough to wade through several months of posts to find this topic. ;-)

I'm really not sure how paying $99 for the service charge for the UBP is not a better deal than paying $600 or $700, or whatever it is. But hey - you do you!

Is it really the gratuity? And so then we wouldn't have to add extra onto each tab we get? If so, that makes more sense to me.

They say it is a gratuity. There is nothing extra added to your tab. Whether the staff actually gets it or not is another story.

References the people who commented that it's not worthwhile to them to get the UBP because they only have one drinker in the cabin; totally get it. In the same boat. We actually switched rooms around within our party to put the drinkers together. But it wouldn't be feasible for them to let each person pick their perk because 3 out of the 5 perks they usually offer benefit the whole cabin (3rd/4th free, shore excursion credit, internet). So if you book an inside cabin with 1 perk; if each person could pick their perk you would end up with them getting 3Rd and 4th passenger free AND 1 person with UBP.

Celebrity actually does one worse than this too. They offer 1 to 2 perks free (depending on the promo) but if you pay a higher rate for the cabin you get all 4 perks they offer free (UBP, internet, $150 OBC pp, and free tips). Problem with that though, besides them charging so much for that rate it's hardly worth it, is that rate is for the cabin. So if a solo person wants it they have to pay double. I.e. On our booking, we paid $2,000 pp and the 'go best' rate was $2,500... so a solo had to pay an extra $1,000 to get internet, $150 OBC, and prepaid tips for one. [emoji35] crazy to have to pay double simply to get extra perks for one. Whereas a double cabin is paying the same extra $1,000 to get internet, $300 OBC, and prepaid tips for 2.

To the people talking about how 'sneaky' NCL is with the service charge... if they would prefer to go back to carnival and pay $55 pp pd for the bev package instead of the $14 pp pd on NCL, so be it. I was caught be surprise on it initially too; but It's still a great deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sanger727

Amen. This is my first NCL cruise coming up. The "free" UBP was a huge selling point for us. By the way you have the option of only taking ONE of the offers. Which we did. We only chose the UBP because we will eat in the MDR's every night for FREE. If we decide to do a specialty rest one night we will pay out of pocket. The gratuities for the two of us for the UBP for the week is $199. I can guarantee you that at current drink prices we would have spent that by the second or third day of the cruise ON ANY CRUISE LINE . So it was an outstanding value for us.

I also want to add. That there was a comment earlier about the cabin prices being inflated. I am cruising on Allure of the seas in April for the second time. The cost of an interior (boardwalk) balcony room on Allure is MORE than I am paying for a deck 9 aft balcony on Escape in October.

The grats for the dining package are $12.42 per person for a 7 day cruise. I would add it even if I wasn't planning on going. It's still a savings for just using 1 night in Cagney's. :)

For us, we would rather just tip as we go since we only have 1 or 2 drinks a day. So the "free" perk would be better for us if it was truly free since we wouldn't drink enough to tip $200 for the week. But I could see how heavier drinkers could stiff the staff by not tipping for all drinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

That is why you have your choice of two out of four. Pick the two that will be of the most benefit to you.

I don't know about sneaking it passed you.

Friends of ours just calls their TA and says book us on RCL for school vacation and find us a good room.

They have no idea what they are buying and what they will get included.

They just show up and board the ship.

Works for them I guess because they have do it 6 times?

The grats for the dining package are $12.42 per person for a 7 day cruise. I would add it even if I wasn't planning on going. It's still a savings for just using 1 night in Cagney's. :)

I would. But then I lose the 3rd and 4th passenger free part of the single freebie perk. It is $300 cheaper the way I did it. Believe me I checked numerous times. :) We will be happy eating the free food. And if we decide to do a specialty restaurant as a date night one night. (letting the kid fend for himself) It will be much cheaper in the end for us. Plus I did notice that there is an upcharge at some of the specialty restaurants even with the dining package.

This is why it is important for people to read everything when booking cruises. You need to understand what options will work best for your unique situation.

I don't know about sneaking it passed you.

Friends of ours just calls their TA and says book us on RCL for school vacation and find us a good room.

They have no idea what they are buying and what they will get included.

They just show up and board the ship.

Works for them I guess because they have do it 6 times?

Ok so?

They are either...

Rich

Don't know how to research cruise prices

Think cruising is expensive anyway so pay whatever they are told

Like to be taken advantage of by their TA

Don't care what they pay

Lots of people out there like that ....

For me and mine...well let's just say we know what we are doing when we book a cruise and know how not to get ripped off

Actually we are fairly savvy in all aspects of life as well

I would. But then I lose the 3rd and 4th passenger free part of the single freebie perk. It is $300 cheaper the way I did it. Believe me I checked numerous times. :) We will be happy eating the free food. And if we decide to do a specialty restaurant as a date night one night. (letting the kid fend for himself) It will be much cheaper in the end for us. Plus I did notice that there is an upcharge at some of the specialty restaurants even with the dining package.

This is why it is important for people to read everything when booking cruises. You need to understand what options will work best for your unique situation.

You said you only took 1 perk which is why I suggested adding the dining package. The 3rd person free promo is your second perk. :)

You said you've always bought the package on board before, so you've always paid the 18% gratuity before PLUS the cost of the package. This time you pay the 18%, but the cost of the package is free. If this is an issue for you, then by all means pay the price of the package plus the 18% again. That option is always there. Enjoy!

You said you've always bought the package on board before, so you've always paid the 18% gratuity before PLUS the cost of the package. This time you pay the 18%, but the cost of the package is free. If this is an issue for you, then by all means pay the price of the package plus the 18% again. That option is always there. Enjoy!

But then what would people complain about?

Oh, yes-- the package is too expensive and doesn't contain water and coffees (I DO actually feel that this package is WAY too expensive for what it includes/excludes and would NEVER pay full price). But for around $14 a day and perhaps a few upcharges for a chocolate martini and a chance to try my first dark and stormy, it's actually a great bargain!