Only cruise critic members would understand

cincicruisers

I have been planning for 12 months for our cruise that is schedule for May/2017 on the Escape. Having planned for so long and I was so excited to come up on 90 days. It's when the fun starts as far as booking all your dining and entertainment. I had already booked flights, hotel, transfers, etc.

Then life threw me a curveball. My husband hurt his back and we are visiting a surgeon next week. That happened and my daughter called and had a conflict at work.

All of our plans had to change. I have moved our trip to February 2018 on the Epic. We will lose the money for the flights that were purchased.

I know there are worse things and we will still be able to cruise at a later date, but I am still sad about not being able to go.

Please don't be mean, just needed to vent to folks that understand.

Hugs. I understand. Hope your dh gets good news and that your dd will have enough time for her vacation to be approved. Now you have a whole new ship to research :)

Sorry and happy you were able to reachedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have been planning for 12 months for our cruise that is schedule for May/2017 on the Escape. Having planned for so long and I was so excited to come up on 90 days. It's when the fun starts as far as booking all your dining and entertainment. I had already booked flights, hotel, transfers, etc.

Then life threw me a curveball. My husband hurt his back and we are visiting a surgeon next week. That happened and my daughter called and had a conflict at work.

All of our plans had to change. I have moved our trip to February 2018 on the Epic. We will lose the money for the flights that were purchased.

I know there are worse things and we will still be able to cruise at a later date, but I am still sad about not being able to go.

I'm so sorry to about your husband. Hopefully all will be well with your husband...we are booked on the Epic in February too. What dates are you going? Maybe you won't loose all the $$ from your airfare....maybe they will apply it to your flights in Feb... Good luck..

If your travel insurance reimburses you for the flights, great. If not, don't give up without at least calling the airline. You'd be surprised how often an approach works of "I know this isn't your fault and you aren't obligated to do anything, but we can't make our flights because my husband was injured and is there ANYTHING you can do to help me?"

I feel your pain. We had a two week trip planned to Grenada in April (one week in an apartment right on the beach and a second week at Sandals LaSource) that we booked a year ago. My husband had a heart attack last Wednesday so I'll be in the process of all the cancellations today. We're going to go later this year, we just need to wait to see how his recovery goes. Luckily the doctors see no reason why he shouldn't make a full recovery.

We also have our August family cruise on the Escape to look forward to. Doctor said he should be just fine to sail by then.

I have travel insurance. Thanks for kind words folks. We are now booked on the Epic February 24th.

So then the airfare is covered? You say you have insurance and that your husband is injured.

Why would you think the air isn't covered?

Just to vent I'm thinking?

They said above they just needed to vent...

Re read the 3rd paragraph of the original post...

Claims they will lose money

But then we find out they have travel insurance

Cc posters are notorious for leaving vital facts out ...at least initially

Sorry to hear that, Good luck !!

Re read the 3rd paragraph of the original post...

Claims they will lose money

But then we find out they have travel insurance

Cc posters are notorious for leaving vital facts out ...at least initially

The OP probably did not add the airfare to their cruise insurance policy. If they used cruise line insurance, then airfare is not covered, just the cruise.

That is why we use third party cruise insurance and then add airfare after we book the flights.

The OP probably did not add the airfare to their cruise insurance policy. If they used cruise line insurance, then airfare is not covered, just the cruise.

That is why we use third party cruise insurance and then add airfare after we book the flights.

Do we know for sure she didn't buy 3rd party insurance?

I didn't see that posted

Again...posters seem to leave out vital info when they are complaining

Many posters may not realize it's vital information. I think her original belief was that travel insurance would not apply because she didn't buy cancel-for-any-reason coverage. Later messages discussed work-related cancellations may be covered. I don't think she has posted whether she has checked with insurance company yet; it's Sunday and she may not know until tomorrow.

Hope everything works out OK for you. Sending best wishes and smiles.:)

OP - I definitely feel for you. Call your travel insurance company and see if your airfare is covered under the plan. Hotel cancellation should be covered. We do not purchase travel insurance through the cruise lines because 1. they do not cover airfare, and 2. they do not usually cover pre-existing medical conditions, which we have. The 2 times we had to cancel, we got every penny back. (once for norovirus a day before the cruise, and once for a medical problem that popped up.) At least you rebooked the Epic - good ship to go on!

OP here.

We purchased insurance thru NCL. I realize now that I should have bought from another company that would cover the flights. I am calling airline tomorrow to see if they can help, although I am not holding a lot of hope of them working with me.

I am just bummed about the trip being cancelled. I am thankful that we have the means to reschedule a trip. The loss of the flights money is small in the whole situation.

Thanks all for your replies and I will begin the process of researching our new cruise.

Sometimes those curve balls are bummers. Hope your husband gets better and you enjoy your cruise in February

Insurance should cover the cruise fare and incidentals.

As for the airline tickets call the airline and move the reservation - believe the cost is $100 pp (change fee).

If dates are indefinite tell the airline so and put the change on hold BUT DO NOT WAIT PAST THE DEPARTURE DATE !

The ticket value could go to zero without any instruction from your part.

Not everyone is out to be a mean ole scrooge to take your money but there are costs relating to running a

business !

Hope hubby mends up well to enjoy the cruise at a later date !

> Insurance should cover the cruise fare and incidentals.

> As for the airline tickets call the airline and move the reservation - believe the cost is $100 pp (change fee).

It is NOT helpful to supply wrong information. Trip insurance can cover a wide variety of items, and you have no way of knowing what is covered in whatever policy the OP purchsaed. Likewise, airline tickets come in a wide variety of changeability, from once-purchased-set-in-stone to easily changeable at full value, and (again) you have no way of knowing whether the OP's tickets can be changed at all or for what (if any) fee.

> Insurance should cover the cruise fare and incidentals.

> As for the airline tickets call the airline and move the reservation - believe the cost is $100 pp (change fee).

It is NOT helpful to supply wrong information. Trip insurance can cover a wide variety of items, and you have no way of knowing what is covered in whatever policy the OP purchsaed. Likewise, airline tickets come in a wide variety of changeability, from once-purchased-set-in-stone to easily changeable at full value, and (again) you have no way of knowing whether the OP's tickets can be changed at all or for what (if any) fee.

I see you didn't read post #20