Ocean Medallion

MsMot

It certainly was not my favorite announcement. I did not like it at Disney and I did not like it when Royal did it.

Sent from my iPhone

Firstly, this is kind of old news at this point, so if not a lot of people reply to your thread, don't be insulted. There have already been threads on this subject.

That said, I personally only have one problem with it: I keep all of my S&S cards in a little card holder book, as souvenirs from my cruises. If I no longer receive cards to keep, I will admittedly be quite sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Firstly, this is kind of old news at this point, so if not a lot of people reply to your thread, don't be insulted. There have already been threads on this subject.

That said, I personally only have one problem with it: I keep all of my S&S cards in a little card holder book, as souvenirs from my cruises. If I no longer receive cards to keep, I will admittedly be quite sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You can still ask for a card.

No, you're not. I'm not happy with it either. :( I don't want a medallion to be worn or put in my pocket. The Sail & Sign cards were great, conveniently slipped right into my wallet and I loved having them as keepsakes after our cruises.

I'm also not happy with all the personal information in the medallion. I don't want is constantly have suggestions made just because of things we did/ate on prior cruises. We were kids of the 70's and 80's and were not raised by helicopter parents, so that's not something we are/or will ever get used to. We're adults and can figure out what we want to do and where and what we want to eat. Sheesh!!!

I'm sure some will like the idea of the tracking to better staff areas of the ship that are busy. Hello...that's already available...eyes, ears, vocal communications. I know JH had been posting questions about this on his social media page. At the time, it sounded like S&S cards would still be used, but for those wanting a medallion, they could get them. Why does Carnival even bother to have him ask these questions if they are going to make the change and not let us have a say so.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

I much prefer the card, but I guess we will have to accept what becomes reality. I don't really like wearing something nor do I like all the info that would be on the medallion.

If, as someone states above, you can still request the card, that is what I would do.

Medallions can be keepsakes too. If I understand correctly there is no personal information stored on the medallion. It's just an rfid with a number on it which is basically the same as your cards. The difference is technology on board can read the medallion without having to swipe it like you would a card. It's then attached to all the same info carnival already has anyway. Cabin door reads your medallion and you can open the door. Same a a card but no need to swipe it.

Go get a drink and the reader already has your info just like the card but bartender doesn't have to swipe it.

If you want to use the smartphone app to customize your experience further you can but you don't have to.

Yes the readers know where you are on the ship but there's already cameras everywhere and staff can see you everywhere do not a big deal to me.

I like the idea if I'm walking past a bar and it sees me there and a special is going on it can say "hey, cheap beer in here!"

I'm looking forward to it but you can still ask for a card instead if it's not your thing.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Forums mobile app

Actually if you read the article it's about Carnival Corp.'s Regal Princess. With a targeted roll out some time in 2018.

Personally I can not see Carnival Corp. retrofitting over 100 vessels in the space of just a few years. Look at how long it is taking them to implement just the 2.0 Fun features and install the Hub app repeaters to the 24 current CCL ships.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Forums mobile app

I personally am a child of the 70's and I'm all for this. I've had it at Disney for some time and no issues with it. The token does nothing more than say hey this is who I am, the systems themselves are the one's that track things, maybe a little more info than current but you are tracked on the ship and what you do now. Get a drink that you have to pay for? They know it. Get food you need to pay for? They know it.

I look forward to seeing what they do with the system and if any cool things come from it down the road. I have lot's of cool ideas on what it could be used for but I don't work for them so they probably won't see the light of day. :)

Actually if you read the article it's about Carnival Corp.'s Regal Princess. With a targeted roll out some time in 2018.

Personally I can not see Carnival Corp. retrofitting over 100 vessels in the space of just a few years. Look at how long it is taking them to implement just the 2.0 Fun features and install the Hub app repeaters to the 24 current CCL ships.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Forums mobile app

Unless they've changed plans it will be on Regal Princess this November (the Princess cruise site is having a drawing to win a trip on one of the first medallion cruises http://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ocean-medallion-class/) with more in early 2018. It says they plan to roll it out to the rest of their lines eventually and I imagine they will although it could be several generations down the line before Carnival gets it.

I've read alot of these posts and the sea trade cruise news. I feel the same way most of you do. I don't like change either, especially high tech changes.

I like the sail and sign cards also and going to something even smaller is even scarier. For me, alot will depend on what the cruise lines will do, if you loose your medallion and someone uses it to charge to your acct. Having more info out there on these medallions is scary. But this is for the cruise lines benefit, not ours. Can they protect us. Will have to wait and see.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

Unless they've changed plans it will be on Regal Princess this November (the Princess cruise site is having a drawing to win a trip on one of the first medallion cruises http://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ocean-medallion-class/) with more in early 2018. It says they plan to roll it out to the rest of their lines eventually and I imagine they will although it could be several generations down the line before Carnival gets it.

Nice post! Interesting that the Regal has all the wiring in place for this to work. I am thinking the crew and selected guests will be doing 'shake down' testing for the next several months. Still, if it is like most hi tech gadgets, there will something, or several somethings they didn't anticipate and will have to get worked out before it can go fleet wide.

And, while this is the Carnival Cruise line forum, the announcement was made by Carnival Corporation....two quite different animals.

I've read alot of these posts and the sea trade cruise news. I feel the same way most of you do. I don't like change either, especially high tech changes.

I like the sail and sign cards also and going to something even smaller is even scarier. For me, alot will depend on what the cruise lines will do, if you loose your medallion and someone uses it to charge to your acct. Having more info out there on these medallions is scary. But this is for the cruise lines benefit, not ours. Can they protect us. Will have to wait and see.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

I imagine it's the same as if someone stole your card. ..when the bartender or cashier looks at their screen they'll see the picture doesn't match. Hopefully anyway lol. Not sure what more information on the medallion you mean.

sent from my galaxy tab a

There are still certain issues being discussed on this. Some are uncertain on the extent of personal info required, and its privacy and security. Really depends on one's point of view.

What personal information would they get with this that they dont already have?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Forums mobile app