Any news on Taittinger?

DUHCAR

Although in fairness, a decent sparkling wine can be far more palatable than a bad champagne

I agree, there are some very nice Proseccos out there and some very harsh Champagnes, I think some would be surprised if they did blind tastings. The presumption that Champagne will be better is sometimes all down to marketing. I'm happy with whatever as long as it tastes good to me🥂[emoji4].

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Trouble is you become hooked with the very ordinary Champagne so why should they change? Personally I would happily go without caviar and get a better Champagne, but that's just me

well , comparing whta Crystal , SS and SB is serving for the moment

i can say Taittinger would be great and SB may cancel its free caviar policy to drink that champagne brand !

I was told by Gunther, the corporate hotel manager, last month that, while SB recognizes the need for a change and is actively working on this project, they have not been successful yet on finding a replacement. He added that it was regretful that some inaccurate information had been leaked earlier.

(As we all know, there were quite a few discussions of Bollinger earlier on here, and I was told in October by Pepi, a new hotel manager to SB, that a deal had been signed with Taittinger... All not true, as it turns out.)

if i was the CEO of SB the above G could go and leave asap !!!

i heard it during the past weekend from SB regulars

i could not appreciate his line of conduct against crew and staff :

people doing a mistake were cursed ... in front of guests

I have sailed with Guenter many times over the last few years and I have never seen him curse staff or crew. In fact he was always polite and very discrete. I worry that your annoyance with Seabourn for not giving you the upgrade you thought you deserved on your last sailing is affecting your bias. :confused:

Julie

Guenter was always a gentleman, never harsh towards anyone in my presence.

I never put value on hearsay. Nor should anyone else, especially when a

senior professional's reputation is being abused, as is the case here!

Happy and healthy sailing!

I was on the Odyssey this month when Guenter left the ship. Almost all of the staff lined up outside the ship to wave him off, there was a huge sign wishing him all the best. Perhaps they were all told to be there, and perhaps some of them were pleased to see him go, however the way I saw their enthusiastic claps and huge smiles was genuine affection for a respected staff member moving on. He stopped to shake the hands of almost every person in that line and spoke individually to most. Staff later told me he was a man with high standards and he kept them 'in line", however their comments always reflected respect.

I am a lover of champagne and sparkling wine, and I know we all have different palates, but I just can't enjoy NF (try as I might!). Big bubbles and no lingering flavour. I am sure that there are many Australian sparkling wines that would easily rate higher in any blind tasting, and they would probably come at half the price of NF. There is a "snob factor" associated with champagne as opposed to "sparking wine" but really, you are doing yourself a disservice if you don't try some of our sparklings. They are really good.

I am a lover of champagne and sparkling wine, and I know we all have different palates, but I just can't enjoy NF (try as I might!). Big bubbles and no lingering flavour. I am sure that there are many Australian sparkling wines that would easily rate higher in any blind tasting, and they would probably come at half the price of NF. There is a "snob factor" associated with champagne as opposed to "sparking wine" but really, you are doing yourself a disservice if you don't try some of our sparklings. They are really good.

A trick I learned from a fellow SB passenger about twelve years ago was to ask for a small splash of peach schnapps in the glass and that tempers the flavor of the NF.

Maybe it was not me, wripro, but I have on this board suggested peach schnapps with the NF as what I called an imitation bellini; improves it no end and more, I think, than other liqueurs. I agree that some other sparkling wines, from Spain, and the New World, can taste much better than cheap champagne. I find the NF without some addition very acid and thin.

Yes indeed, I have had some excellent sparkling wines from both the land of Oz and NZ too.

Maybe it was not me, wripro, but I have on this board suggested peach schnapps with the NF as what I called an imitation bellini; improves it no end and more, I think, than other liqueurs. I agree that some other sparkling wines, from Spain, and the New World, can taste much better than cheap champagne. I find the NF without some addition very acid and thin.

It was not you, lincslady, but obviously great minds think alike.

I also find NF a bit acidic and thin but don't like champagne cocktails. However, I find that NF tastes OK if chilled very well.

I find that a shot of Ribena does the trick - the only snag is that you have to bring your own since Seabourn don't have it!

As long as Seabourn stocks Nicky Fooey I will be drinking it with either a small amount of Creme de Cassis or Campari. The acidity calms down, the taste improves and the color is pleasing. Try it!

Happy and healthy sailing!

If you talk about NF Champagner, do you mean Nicolas Feuillatte Champagner? Or something else?

Is there anything "sparkling" (other then water) available for breakfast on Seabourn ships?

Yes, NF = Nicolas Feuillatte. SB also serves a prosecco. You can get either of them (or anything else you'd like) at breakfast.

• 1 month later...

Let's not fall into the trap of thinking it has to come down to either a bad champagne or a better non-champagne sparkling wine. What's wrong with just serving a better champagne? Seabourn is a luxury line (and an expensive one) after all. Let's keep our standards high :) Chin, chin!