Travel Agent's Commission

zorrosuncle

It's already in the price of the cruise you see when you log in.

I have never understood why those that book directly with HAL don't get a discount - LOL.

We do better discount wise with a TA. Go figure. I'll never understand the system other than HAL would prefer you deal with a TA?????

It's already in the price of the cruise you see when you log in.

I have never understood why those that book directly with HAL don't get a discount - LOL.

We do better discount wise with a TA. Go figure. I'll never understand the system other than HAL would prefer you deal with a TA?????

That's how they pay the PCCs. The cruise line makes extra if you book online directly. If you call in to a phone rep or use a PCC, they're getting paid. It's not commission though. More like piece rate with bonus escalators.

Our TA is excellent at having our back on any and all transportation arrangements whether ships, trains or planes - it's all about my peace of mind. We've used her for years.

For cruises I get all the perks and prices that I can get on the HAL site. She does the actual booking and takes care of securing the independent "pre-existing condition" and "cancel for any reason" insurance. She alerts the cruise line to DH's need for boarding wheelchair assistance. When we had to cancel once due to DH's health she handled all the paperwork and when we needed to change a booking due to a large group on our sailing she took care of that. She reminds me when final payment is due and does it when I give the ok.

The only thing we can't do by booking with her is accept the upgrade fairy which isn't important to us since we very, very carefully choose our cabin location. We can still book excursions, pre-purchase "stuff", and reserve specialty restaurants ourselves.

We booked our next cruise with a TA with the understanding that our OBC for Promo ZPM would be posted as well as the credit from the TA. Today I checked with HAL and there is no credit posted to our account for the ZPM. Now I'm waiting for my TA to get back in the office tomorrow to hopefully straighten this out. The person I talked with today at the TA said the 2 credits, ZPM and OBC from TA, could not be combined. HAL says the TA must request the credit. When we booked my TA assured me we would receive both credits. Needless to say I'm not very happy about the prospect of changing what has been a good relationship with the TA, but I do dislike being deceived. Hopefully she will be able to straighten this out tomorrow, and we can leave on March 1 for our cruise on the 3rd with happy faces.

We booked our next cruise with a TA with the understanding that our OBC for Promo ZPM would be posted as well as the credit from the TA. Today I checked with HAL and there is no credit posted to our account for the ZPM. Now I'm waiting for my TA to get back in the office tomorrow to hopefully straighten this out. The person I talked with today at the TA said the 2 credits, ZPM and OBC from TA, could not be combined. HAL says the TA must request the credit. When we booked my TA assured me we would receive both credits. Needless to say I'm not very happy about the prospect of changing what has been a good relationship with the TA, but I do dislike being deceived. Hopefully she will be able to straighten this out tomorrow, and we can leave on March 1 for our cruise on the 3rd with happy faces.

I cannot sat for ABSOLUTE certainty, but I have found that ZPM is combinable with almost every other deal. If you booked within the stated time limit of the email you got from HAL offering the ZPM promotion (normally about 2 months after your return from your previous cruise), you should be due the credit - unless of course your TA forgot to apply it in time.

I would press your TA on this issue. Did you purchase a Future Cruise Deposit (while onboard a HAL cruise)? That is when I think they send out the emails (to those people purchasing the FCD).

Greetings --

If I use a travel agent, is the commission generally paid by HAL or by me?

ZU

This is like saying, "Do I have to pay for my food on a cruise or is it free?"

The price you pay for your booking includes the commission that may go to the booking agent (TA).

HAL (or any cruise line) will pay a booking commission to a bona fide travel agent.

If you book directly with HAL, they will keep the commission. You get no benefit from booking directly or using one of their PCC's. Even their PCC's do not receive the commission. HAL keeps the lions share for themselves.

Again, this is true across all cruise lines.

This is like saying, "Do I have to pay for my food on a cruise or is it free?"

The price you pay for your booking includes the commission that may go to the booking agent (TA).

HAL (or any cruise line) will pay a booking commission to a bona fide travel agent.

If you book directly with HAL, they will keep the commission. You get no benefit from booking directly or using one of their PCC's. Even their PCC's do not receive the commission. HAL keeps the lions share for themselves.

Again, this is true across all cruise lines.

Thank you for your explanation. From other threads I understand why people will use a PCC or a TA. I choose to use a TA. I have never asked what her commission is from HAL (or any other line). So I guess what I am asking is what is the industry standard and more specifically HAL?

bob

While I provide the funds that are paid out in the form of commission it's HAL actually pays the agent/agency. Really is the best and safest way to handle the commission since I'd be hesitant to have the agency/agent collect the funds and then pass the funds minus the commission to HAL. There has been a number of cases where agencies/agents failed to pay cruise lines and left the passengers hanging. I don't know of any agencies or agents who handle the funds that way but I wouldn't deal with them if they did. Though I know there are some agencies that charge additional booking, administrative, cancellation, etc., fees I don't and won't deal with any of them.

Thank you for your explanation. From other threads I understand why people will use a PCC or a TA. I choose to use a TA. I have never asked what her commission is from HAL (or any other line). So I guess what I am asking is what is the industry standard and more specifically HAL?

bob

We have a few agents or ex-agents here and maybe they'll chime in but my old brick and mortar travel agent once told me a few years ago that the "standard" commission was 12%. Of course if the agent works for an agency they don't get the full commission as the agency would take its share. Apparently the commission percentage varies by cruise line and agency and can be a different percentage because of agreements and arrangements between the cruise line and agency.

So I guess what I am asking is what is the industry standard and more specifically HAL?

bob

In round numbers, it is my understanding that 10% of the commissionable part of the fare is what the TA receives.

That varies with volume travel agents and promotional rates offered to TA's by the cruise lines.

I remember one cruise line offering 15% a few years ago.

Note: I am not a TA, but have open dialogue with one.

That being said .... the price I pay and perks I get for my cruise through my TA is the exact same I'd get booking direct on the HAL website. It's the peace of mind and ease I like in using a TA.

I think that's what you were saying but wanted to be sure folks know that TA's don't all get paid by the customer. Ours works in the offices of a large agency. I like that as well because if my TA is ou

That being said .... the price I pay and perks I get for my cruise through my TA is the exact same I'd get booking direct on the HAL website. It's the peace of mind and ease I like in using a TA.

I think that's what you were saying but wanted to be sure folks know that TA's don't all get paid by the customer. Ours works in the offices of a large agency. I like that as well because if my TA is out someone elsc could handle an emergency.

The price I pay is also exactly what I'd pay HAL but my TA rebates a percentage back to me via a check after final payment has been made. She also has a team that works with her and one or more of them is available 24/7 so in my mind I get the best of both worlds in savings and support.

I cannot sat for ABSOLUTE certainty, but I have found that ZPM is combinable with almost every other deal. If you booked within the stated time limit of the email you got from HAL offering the ZPM promotion (normally about 2 months after your return from your previous cruise), you should be due the credit - unless of course your TA forgot to apply it in time.

I would press your TA on this issue. Did you purchase a Future Cruise Deposit (while onboard a HAL cruise)? That is when I think they send out the emails (to those people purchasing the FCD).

Thank you for your answer. I didn't purchase a FCD but did receive an e-mail from HAL when we returned from our Sept./Oct. cruise giving me the deadline for the ZPM. We complied with that date, and our TA verified at the time of booking that we were entitled to it. I haven't heard from her yet today but will post the outcome when I do.

I had one who tried to charge me $50 per person and they became my EX TA :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've seen a charge of $75.00 per person for booking a cruise. The TA said he could charge what he wanted for his service, an idea with which I agreed.

Since he was offering nothing more than the HAL pricing, I moved on.

It seems a lot of the big brick and mortar TAs have an extra charge now.

Also, they used to match competitors' pricing, but now will match only the cruise lines' pricing.

Things must be getting tight for TAs. I asked my TA about matching a pricing I found (same city, same everything, cruise only). On a total booking price of around $3500 the other TA was $125 less total. My TA said they would be paying me to take the cruise if they matched that price, so no way.

What little I know about local brick and mortar travel agencies is based on what I heard from a trivia team friend who unfortunately passed away just after Christmas. She worked for what once was the largest agency in town with several branch offices spread around town. Slowly but surely they've closed all but the main office and laid off over half their staff. They used to be big in cruise travel but today survive mostly doing corporate travel. Rough business to be in.

I really hate when people post about how great their TA's are and are not allowed to share with us who they are. I need a good TA!

While a bit inconvenient it's better than the verbal "food fights" I've seen on other boards that allow naming agents or agencies. Add agents trying advertise or solicite bookings and it just wasn't good.