Longest Booking Length

In reading much of the advice around here, the common theme seems to be "book your cruise as early as possible, then watch prices up till final payment date".

The question I have is - what is the longest lead up time frame you've booked a cruise?

And secondly - how/where did you book it? (website/agent)

(most RCL cruises I see on their website are less than or about 12 months out, I assume this is because the new March release dates are just around the corner? And are we likely to see 2019 dates with the March itineraries?)

Ok, so that's more than 1 question, sorry. :D

We are likely to see sailings out to April 2019 when new itineraries are released in the next few weeks, so that means you can book 2 years in advance. We've booked that far in advance with both a travel agent and direct with Royal.

In reading much of the advice around here, the common theme seems to be "book your cruise as early as possible, then watch prices up till final payment date".

The question I have is - what is the longest lead up time frame you've booked a cruise?

And secondly - how/where did you book it? (website/agent)

(most RCL cruises I see on their website are less than or about 12 months out, I assume this is because the new March release dates are just around the corner? And are we likely to see 2019 dates with the March itineraries?)

Ok, so that's more than 1 question, sorry. :D

Every March when the itineraries are released I am booking a cruise that is just over 2 years in advance. Booked my March Harmony cruise in March 2015 and in a couple weeks I will be booking March 2019.

All of March and possibly some of April 2019 will be released this March.

I always book direct, personal preference although if you shop around you may find some travel agents are offering some perks.

We too generally book 18 months or longer in advance, when itineraries are first released, both directly ourselves or using a TA. We have booked a couple of spur of the moment last minute cruises, but that's very much the exception.

I booked a placeholder in April 2016 for April 2018 intending to change it to summer 2018 when those itineraries were released. I changed it to Alaska the day the itineraries came out. We generally plan 2 years out. DH is super picky about cabin location so he wants to be booked way in advance so he has the best availability.

I booked a placeholder in April 2016 for April 2018 intending to change it to summer 2018 when those itineraries were released. I changed it to Alaska the day the itineraries came out. We generally plan 2 years out. DH is super picky about cabin location so he wants to be booked way in advance so he has the best availability.

Does booking for April give you preference for Summer as far a cabin location, otherwise I'm confused why you would book for a time you have no interest in using?

Dave

Does booking for April give you preference for Summer as far a cabin location, otherwise I'm confused why you would book for a time you have no interest in using?

Dave

I booked for April 2018 because it was the farthest out I could book. There's no preference for stateroom location.

Another question........... seems to be a habit with me. :o

Will Royal list the releases each day? Or do they just show up on the site during searches?

Given the all encompassing nature of this site, I'm guessing there may be a thread devoted to what is released each day?

Another question........... seems to be a habit with me. :o

Will Royal list the releases each day? Or do they just show up on the site during searches?

Given the all encompassing nature of this site, I'm guessing there may be a thread devoted to what is released each day?

We may or may not hear from Royal. Most often, our resident travel agents will announce the releases here. The releases generally show up as being "loaded" on the TA site before they show up on the end user site with prices.

Just to add to the discussion, there have been almost daily new threads in the last couple of weeks of cruisers complaining of price drops after final payment that they cannot take advantage of.