Charging Electronics

Cyclops32

I have read in several threads before that people have use old keycards to keep in the slots so lights and outlets stay live while you are out of the room. One of the biggest reasons I heard this was used for was to charge thing while you are out. On another thread I saw a recent daily and on the front of it it said that unattended electronics are going to be disconnected by room stewards because it is a fire hazard. I get the dangers of fire on a ship, but there is a limit. To me, this rule can actually cause a higher risk actions to be taken. Example. If I can charge somethings while I am out, then other things can be charged while I am there without power strips and the like. No need to worry about a faulty or cheap power strip getting overloaded. With this rule, people are putting larger loads in cabins at night when people are sleeping. People may have more electronic gear then outlets so they may bring other things so they can plug everything in at night. If a fire started in a room, I would rather it happen when few passengers are in the area. A stampede of people trying to getaway from it will cause delays of crew who are trained to handle it from being able to the room to fight it.

Has anyone who has been on a recent cruise been able to charge things like camera batteries an the such while away from their cabin?

We left our phones etc. on the Chargers while out. You can put up the do not disturb sign. Or just tuck the cord out of the way. We even left ours out in plain sight with no issue. They made an announcement when first on the ship. Maybe during the muster drill I can't remember. But basically it's the Samsung Galaxy 7 they do not want to have plugged up. If you have the Samsung galaxy 7 they want to keep it at the customer service desk until end of cruise due to those phones catching fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We never bring a "power strip" as we can plug and unplug as needed. We don't use our phone on the ship, so it really doesn't need to be charged until our last night, so it's ready to go when we get OFF the ship!

They don't like power strips with "surge suppressors"....THAT doesn't work well with the ship's power. If you bring one, make sure it's not a surge suppressed deal.

in all of my cruise, i always left my camera and tablet plugged in when i am out and about on the ship. the only thing i do is put a stack of papers on top of it so it is out of sight if the cabin steward leaves the door open when cleaning the cabin.

I don't think a fire in the cabin is a big issue. Each room as one or two sprinkler nozzles . That will put a fire out very quickly.

ANY fire on a ship is a big issue. Any fire.

I don't think charging a camera or phone unattended epresents an actual fire hazard, though.

Only things we have to be charged is an Ipod, mini Ipad, and a regular Ipad....all of which can be charged at night while sleeping. Now if they would just give us "free internet connected laptops" in each room there'd be no problems. LOL :D;)

For us there will be quite a few things. Odds are I'll have my phone with me most of the time. I am planning on bringing my laptop to download video's from cameras to make room for other video's later. Each of us have personal cameras...Gopro and the like that we will use on some of the excursions. May have a few other items to keep the kids occupied while we are getting ready. I can see stuff on charge. Good to know that when we get back on board we might be able to put some of the gear on charge while we are at dinner or a show and then charge other things at night.

Thanks for the advise

We left our phones etc. on the Chargers while out. You can put up the do not disturb sign. Or just tuck the cord out of the way. We even left ours out in plain sight with no issue. They made an announcement when first on the ship. Maybe during the muster drill I can't remember. But basically it's the Samsung Galaxy 7 they do not want to have plugged up. If you have the Samsung galaxy 7 they want to keep it at the customer service desk until end of cruise due to those phones catching fire.

Just to be clear, it is the Samsung Galaxy Note7 not the Galaxy S7 phone that is at issue.

I have read in several threads before that people have use old keycards to keep in the slots so lights and outlets stay live while you are out of the room. One of the biggest reasons I heard this was used for was to charge thing while you are out. On another thread I saw a recent daily and on the front of it it said that unattended electronics are going to be disconnected by room stewards because it is a fire hazard. I get the dangers of fire on a ship, but there is a limit. To me, this rule can actually cause a higher risk actions to be taken. Example. If I can charge somethings while I am out, then other things can be charged while I am there without power strips and the like. No need to worry about a faulty or cheap power strip getting overloaded. With this rule, people are putting larger loads in cabins at night when people are sleeping. People may have more electronic gear then outlets so they may bring other things so they can plug everything in at night. If a fire started in a room, I would rather it happen when few passengers are in the area. A stampede of people trying to getaway from it will cause delays of crew who are trained to handle it from being able to the room to fight it.

Has anyone who has been on a recent cruise been able to charge things like camera batteries an the such while away from their cabin?

It seems my experience on the Breakaway last September must have been the exception to the rule. When we met our stateroom attendant in the hall he took us right to our suite to show us around. He started by showing us that he had already put a dummy card in the slot and said he would leave it there all week for us. We never had any issues with charging things when we were out of our cabin. He did, however, unplug the items once they were fully charged, which we appreciated. :)

Galaxy phones have NO problems. It's the NOTE 7 that is an issue

Sent from my SM-G930U using Forums mobile app

in all of my cruise, i always left my camera and tablet plugged in when i am out and about on the ship. the only thing i do is put a stack of papers on top of it so it is out of sight if the cabin steward leaves the door open when cleaning the cabin.

Great! Putting highly flammable material on top of a heat source. This is a prime example of why the rest of us will no longer be allowed to charge unattended.

Great! Putting highly flammable material on top of a heat source. This is a prime example of why the rest of us will no longer be allowed to charge unattended.

Paper is a combustible material. Not flammable.

Paper has a flashpoint around 450 degrees F... a temperature not likely to be achieved by a charging tablet.

But don't let science stop yo drama...

It's not come up for us because personally, we don't leave any valuable (including all electronics) out when we plan on the Stewart coming in. So only leave something charging if the 'do not disturb' sign is out. Not saying the room Stewart would steal, but it's human nature to be tempted by items in plain sight and don't want to take the chance.

Paper has a flashpoint around 450 degrees F... a temperature not likely to be achieved by a charging tablet.

Regardless, hiding your electronics under paper is a really bad idea. You are circumventing a safety procedure which could endanger yourself and the other passengers on the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Boom, stomp, clap.

Only things we have to be charged is an Ipod, mini Ipad, and a regular Ipad....all of which can be charged at night while sleeping. Now if they would just give us "free internet connected laptops" in each room there'd be no problems. LOL :D;)

I understand that you were just joking, but I just wanted to mention that we were in a Haven Owner Suite on the Jade a couple of years ago, and on the desk there was actually a laptop that we could use if we wanted to (of course, we would have to purchase a internet plan to go online, but the laptop was there....). :)

Hi, All. When travel I carry two items to support our electronics. One is a USB 7 port night stand charger/holder. Second, a 20000mAh portable battery pack. It's wonderful.

A battery pack is another item I usually have. The problem with a USB hub is that it spreads the power among all of the ports so everything charges a lot slower then if they are plugged into separate outlets. I really notice it on the items that want 2+ amp chargers.

A battery pack is another item I usually have. The problem with a USB hub is that it spreads the power among all of the ports so everything charges a lot slower then if they are plugged into separate outlets. I really notice it on the items that want 2+ amp chargers.

Totally agree. My Satechi charger has 4 5v/1a ports and 3 5v/2a ports. Enough power for our needs. And what's nice it stacks the devices up next to each other. Using the 6 in charging cables reduces the normal cable spaghetti mess. My portable charger has both a 5/2 & 5/1 ports and enough power to recharge a phone 5 times. We live in both wonderful and strange times.

Correct !

A retired navy guy told me that the most feared thing at sea was fire.

And that is the thing they have been saying for years on all lines that fire is the greatest danger on board when they do the muster drill.

On our Dec. Gem trip they had it posed front page, lower right corner every day about any unattended electronics found would be unplugged. Someone posted Dailies from the Escape the same week and no such message.

On our BTS tour there was a posting with a picture to employees where some electronics on a bed had started a fire. It didn't look like a NCL ship though.