Option to dine with others in specialty restaurants?

RMS Olympic

i would appreciate opinions/interest in the following idea:

That a table be designated perhaps at 8pm to seat people who want to dine with strangers in let's say Cagneys. This could be an option when passengers reserve their dining time on line. The ship could then adjust table size or number of tables prior to that specific evening.

Dining for many can be a very social affair, for both singles as well as couples. As a single I would prefer to dine with others but find myself alone each night in any one of the specialty restaurants. On a few occasions I have met couples that were looking to find table mates but unless they very outgoing found it difficult to find others looking to do the same. This might encourage singles or friends or couples to book a specialty restaurant over a MDR.

As the dining room would have the flexibility ahead of time to adjust the seating size, there would not be a negative to revenue...but perhaps an increase....especially concerning singles or friends traveling together.

Perhaps if this idea is of interest to others, and it could reap financial rewards to NCL they might consider adding this feel free option.

Comments would be greatly appreciated.

talk to folks on your roll, make friends, go to the meet and greet, make more friends, eat with them, that's why we use the roll calls to make "cruise friends"

Sorry but it doesn't appeal to us. One of the reasons we like the specialty dining venues is to be to get away from people and have a quiet dinner together which doesn't happen much at home due to hectic life styles these days and also to get away from kids,cell phone's etc.

We had one experience years ago with dining at a communal table and the one couple was constantly arguing through out the entire dinner.

The main reason I sail NCL is the fact I do not have to sit with strangers.

I like to eat with my family and it was hard to do that with CCL that is why I stopped sailing with them I could bring up all the reasons but you know what they will be,

Is your attraction to NCL the solo cruise cabins? If not I would be sailing RC or CCL or HAL to sit with other.

OP, as a single cruiser, you probably know that waiting until you arrive at a restaurant to find a table mate is a little late. A better plan would be to meet people throughout the cruise. Although we dine as a couple, we meet tons of people on our cruises! None, however, are met while standing at the hostess stand of a restaurant. I'd suggest getting out there during the days, making friends, then making dinner plans together. Don't rely on the ship to do it for you.

Interesting responses, thank you. I have been sailing for over thirty years and watched the industry change. I personally like NCL specialty restaurants..... To wait till I get onboard to formalize a dining hour is a joke. Last May on the Escape there were over 5200 passengers (1000 extra). All dining for the week was full by the first night out, if you did not make reservations ahead of time you were out of luck. I would prefer to lock in a table ahead of sailing and have the option to be able to dine with others for an evening. Fixed tables on other lines is a gamble, and the dining times can be either too early or too late . I can see where couples would not be interested in sharing a table, but I have met couples that asked if they could join my table....so there are people that like to socialize. Years ago meeting new people over dinner was fun....perhaps those days are gone.

Hope some solo passengers or friends that travel with friends comment.

As I sail Princess, Windstar, Star Clippers, HAL I have had no problems meeting people...but normally dine in non tariff restaurants. Been accused of many things in my 81 cruises but never boring😜

I travel solo and usually do not like to dine with strangers. It's one of the reasons I like NCL; well that and the studios. I do usually go to the solo cruisers meeting on the first night just in case I do feel like finding anyone to meet up and dine with and attend some of the other meetings during the week as well. That, and meeting people at the M&G, usually fulfills any need I have to find company plus I'm always open to anyone looking for a table sitting with me in the buffet.

I'm a solo cruiser and enjoy dining in the specialty restaurants. I would not reserve a space at a shared table. I prefer to eat alone or with others I've met throughout the cruise but not with strangers at a shared table. On my Epic cruise last March we had a very active roll call and on two evening I dined with others from our roll call in specialty restaurants without having advance reservations. When we discussed dining together, we rearranged our reservations -- in one case, we were able to dine at the time one of us had originally planned/reserved and in the other case we had to dine sightly later than either of us had reserved, but it worked out fine. I would rather take my chances and do it that way than hope I'd have an enjoyable evening with a table of people I hadn't met before dinner. I'd also rather eat in the MDR to be able to eat with whom I choose if we can't work our reservations even though I very much enjoy the specialties.

As another frequent solo sailor, I would book a group table if it was an option. I have gone whole cruises where I ate alone in specialty restaurants, and I've been perfectly okay. But on my most recent P&O cruise where I had a single outside cabin, I sat at tables of eight every night except for the first night (specialty Indian restaurant) and the last Black Tie night (Chef's Table). I found that I really enjoyed meeting folks over dinner, and that a table of eight was the perfect number. Maybe I liked the group dining so much because nearly all the passengers were British?

I think that the trouble with this suggestion, as evidenced by other posters... is of all the lines to try this concept on (since they all seem to have specialty dining outside of the traditional dining) NCL is not it. For us, we prefer the freestyle concept over the anytime dining concept because with the whole ship being anytime it seems to work well. Part of what we enjoy is having a table for just our party when we decide to eat as opposed to being stuck with the large group traditional dining where you have to eat with others. We have, in the past, met others we chose to eat with in the MDR on certain nights; but no real interest in pre-booking at a community table with others we don't know. I understand the challenges with specialties and personally would prefer if they changed the reservation system (or got rid of it all together), because I don't particularly like having to choose my dinner time 90 days ahead of the cruise either.

Sadly NCL is the worst line for solo passengers who wish to be social with others without having to post signs and walk up to strangers in the hall ways and beg them to share a table for dinner. As you can see from the vast majority of the posts here the current passenger mix NCL is reaching runs from strangers and prefers to dine either alone, as couples or in a gang of know individuals. I would strongly suggest finding a more solo friendly line.

I am confused I thought NCL has solo gatherings and even social hosts who help with facilitating interaction, dinners, shows, etc. for solo cruisers. Wouldn't that be a great way to have others to dine with?

They do, but primarily on the big ships that have a Studio Lounge, I think. That's usually where they have the sign-ups for group dinners, etc. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Sadly NCL is the worst line for solo passengers who wish to be social with others without having to post signs and walk up to strangers in the hall ways and beg them to share a table for dinner. As you can see from the vast majority of the posts here the current passenger mix NCL is reaching runs from strangers and prefers to dine either alone, as couples or in a gang of know individuals. I would strongly suggest finding a more solo friendly line.

Just because a person doesn't want to eat with strangers doesn't mean they aren't social. I've experienced solo cruises where I dined solo each evening by choice and solo cruises where I dined with others by choice each evening. None of these involved posting signs or walking up to strangers and begging them to share a table with me. I've also never run from strangers nor have I seen other solo cruisers running from them. Maybe I should pay more attention--sounds entertaining to watch people fleeing from strangers lest they have to dine together. :D

My suggestion is to join your role call....ask if any of them are solo or if any of them like to dine with others. You may be able to hook up with someone way ahead of your cruise and you all can decide on day and times to pre book your restaurants. Just a thought.

We have no problems engaging with those seated around us, solo or couples. Do on every cruise. But we would definitely not want to be formally seated with them with their schedule driving ours. One of the benefits of open seating on NCL.

This is very true. I have "shared" many a dinner, even while dining alone at my one table. ;) In fact at Le Bistro on Getaway I was seated next to a couple who originally wanted my table for sentimental reasons, and they made sure I knew it. It turned out to be a fun dinner. [Not being sarcastic.]

Really great feedback. At times I feel NCL is more al a carte cruising and not the original do what you want when you want. I feel compelled to book dining way in advance rather than take what reservation times are left if any at all. With programs put in place to fill ships, competition for specialty restaurants becomes problematic. After my experience on Epic in the Manhattan dining room I swore only specialty restaurants. On Epic I asKed to be seated with others....I was told no. I was seated at a table for four all alone. The server brought all courses including desert at the same time! Explanation...we want to clear this table fast so we can seat more people.

All I would like to see is that when I book 90 days out there is an option to sit with others that I can select. If the negative view I am reading here is that strong I surely won't suggest it to NCL. If I was not single, perhaps I would not want to dine with others every night, but I would like the option when making reservations. When I sit in Cagneys or le Bistro I never see other singles dinning alone.....makes me wonder if they feel they would be out of place. As far as using role calls.....i wonder how many passengers on the Escape class ships have ever heard of Cruise Critic? But I appreciate the feedback and comments.......

Really great feedback. At times I feel NCL is more al a carte cruising and not the original do what you want when you want. I feel compelled to book dining way in advance rather than take what reservation times are left if any at all. With programs put in place to fill ships, competition for specialty restaurants becomes problematic. After my experience on Epic in the Manhattan dining room I swore only specialty restaurants. On Epic I asKed to be seated with others....I was told no. I was seated at a table for four all alone. The server brought all courses including desert at the same time! Explanation...we want to clear this table fast so we can seat more people.

All I would like to see is that when I book 90 days out there is an option to sit with others that I can select. If the negative view I am reading here is that strong I surely won't suggest it to NCL. If I was not single, perhaps I would not want to dine with others every night, but I would like the option when making reservations. When I sit in Cagneys or le Bistro I never see other singles dinning alone.....makes me wonder if they feel they would be out of place. As far as using role calls.....i wonder how many passengers on the Escape class ships have ever heard of Cruise Critic? But I appreciate the feedback and comments.......

Wow, You must be a glutton for punishment. If the waiter had done that to me, I would have had him removed from the dining room and raised all kind of h--l. And I would have sat at that table until they closed the dining room for the evening and I would have done it every night and then NEVER booked another NCL cruise. While my experiences with NCL were not that bad they were bad enough that you could not give me free NCL cruise. Not the line for solo passengers.

Just because a person doesn't want to eat with strangers doesn't mean they aren't social. I've experienced solo cruises where I dined solo each evening by choice and solo cruises where I dined with others by choice each evening. None of these involved posting signs or walking up to strangers and begging them to share a table with me. I've also never run from strangers nor have I seen other solo cruisers running from them. Maybe I should pay more attention--sounds entertaining to watch people fleeing from strangers lest they have to dine together. :D

I did not say the solo passengers ran from anyone. I stated that the other passengers did the running. It is sad to have that many insecure people who can not gather up the social curiosity to meet strangers over dinner and learn something about the rest of the world but that is NCL and the line has made a ton of money off this category of passenger so I don't see them changing for the few solo people that are social .

I like the community table suggestion; sounds like fun. After all, that's what we do at Teppanyaki, at the Officers Dinner, and at the wonderful Chef's Table (now discontinued). I also sometimes share at a high-top in O'Sheehan's and at the crowded buffet.

I travel solo on NCL and have occasionally been asked by the hostess at busy dining times in the included restaurants if I would mind sharing. But I agree that it's more complicated in the specialties. For my cruise this May I just booked my specialty reservations: for one person. You bet, I would have selected a community table if given the option.

In my experience community tables function best when guests are able to come and go as they choose, rather than the entire group all ordering at the same time (that's awkward and takes away from feel free). In other words, the community table should be serving all evening, possible to book at say 7:00 or 7:30 or 8:00 or whatever; seats keep rotating. There would need to be a clause that the guest(s) may have to wait for an open seat despite making a reservation for a specific time. But NCL knows average turnover times. And the UBP helps.

I will say I've never had any negative experiences when dining all alone. In fact, it seems that generally I receive much better service as a solo; it's as if the staff is concerned about me and makes an extra effort to give me a pleasant experience. Fellow cruisers sometimes also go out of their way to be friendly. I love cruising with NCL. Cheers! :D

I have been on both the Gem and the Epic solo and have never been in an MDR. I happily enjoyed dinner alone in Cagney's, Le Bistro, Teppanyaki and others. La Cucina on the Gem was the only one the waitstaff was less than pleasant and rushed me a bit. My last waiter at Cagney's on the Epic got a Hero card because he was so wonderful. Just my long winded way of saying there are plenty of solo diners in the specialty restaurants but we don't have the bright spotlights on us that many imagine when thinking of solo dining.