How is the Haven "Policed"?

BostonGal35

When we were in the Haven on the Gem, it was small and the Valet knew everyone in terms of who should be there and who shouldn't. In fact, i saw him bounce some teenagers from the hot tub that were guests of another teen.

How is this area "policed" on the larger ships? In theory, someone could "crash" the courtyard area and and as long as they never attempt to order food or a drink, no one would know that they arent supposed to be there.

Im wondering if this is why some of the larger ship Havens experience crowding? Are people smuggling in family and friends that don't belong there?

I was in the Haven on the Escape. You had to use your key card to get into the actual Haven. Then once you are there if you are trying to eat or get drinks you have to present your card. All guests staying in the Haven have a different key card, so they can tell right away. There were also a couple of doors, if I remember inside that you used your key card for. I also saw someone being asked to leave because they some how got in. There was very minimal people around every time we were there, so they became familiar with faces.

Some Havens are crowded because of the number of cabins having access vs. the space.

On the Gem, there are really very few cabins using a small, but delightful, Courtyard area. On the Breakaway style ships, there are a huge number of people using a mid-sized Courtyard/Haven area. The Epic seems to have a sweet spot of having a really large Courtyard/Haven, and no where near as many accessing it as the Breakaway style ships.

As for policing, they know who is to be there and who isn't very quickly. They are very aware that unpaid for / unauthorized access is a big issue to those who paid (and through the nose) for it.

We had people sneak onto the Haven sundeck last year (on the Escape) and were not happy about it -- and neither were a lot of other Haven guests. It was the last sea day and loungers on the sun deck were scarce -- and filled by a group of non-Haven guests.

And yes...they were stupid enough to give their non-Haven key cards to the staff to prove that they shouldn't be there. Eventually they left (I believe on their own). The staff knew that they didn't belong even before they showed the key cards, but action was not quickly taken. Many people complained.

Does the staff know who belongs there and who doesn't? Yes. They just don't always feel as if they are in the position to push a confrontation and will wait for backup (in our case the hotel director showed and a couple of other officers showed up).

If you're talking about random people sneaking into the Haven its rare i think. They would stick out.

But on the Escape where there are so, so, so many passengers with Haven access, it would be easy to have one or two people join you say for drinks in the bar, in the restaurant or on the sundeck.

Ordering drinks in the bar......not everyone has to show their card, just the one who goes to the bar and orders the drinks! You could go up and order 4 drinks and carry them back to the courtyard for example.

On the sundeck, it's tiny so there won't be a bunch of extra loungers for sure. Then there is very limited drink service up there. Usually I had to walk down to the lobby bar to order drinks and then bring them back to the sundeck for my family. An extra guest or two could easily join you up there I would think.

I do think it is possible here and there for a non Haven guest to be there. The Escape haven really is maxed out with people. In no way would other guest know who belongs and who doesn't.

It's probably possible the first day, but the Haven staff gets to know everybody pretty quickly. We've only stayed in the Haven a handful of times, but I've never noticed a problem from "outsiders."

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

There is a door in the Haven that opens directly into Vibe on Escape. Haven staff would often prop this open for a few minutes for one reason or another. This perhaps allowed Vibe guests to wander into the Haven, where they were very near an elevator. Perhaps these Vibe guests could take the elevator up and wander around a bit to see what was going on in the Haven. I mean, I don't know for sure, I'm just saying perhaps. :halo:

The Haven entrance area many times had a lot of wind from the pool deck doorway right next to the entrance. We found that you had to pull the door shut behind you many times since it didn't latch due wind draft. People could certainly get in if the door didn't latch like this. We did mention this and put it in comments, but not sure they can do much besides adding a heavier door.

I am sure that people could also wait for someone to scan their card and walk in behind them. Not sure how many vacationers would question another guest saying hold the door or a haven guest letting in a bunch of non-haven friends.

bottom line, without someone at the door checking, there are plenty of ways people can get in. It is then up to the staff to figure out if they belong if they are not buying drinks or going into the restaurant where they are showing a card.

They are very discreet about it, but if you watch you will quickly notice the concierge and a few other staff walking around the Haven, especially the lower courtyard and surveying who is there. Not sure how they do it, but they seem to know very quickly who their passengers are, and they can greet most by name on day 2 (a skill I never have had)

Honestly on the Escape you could probably get away with hanging out on the upper inside deck as its not used very much, but they will figure it out pretty quick on the lower and you can't take advantage of any of the services without a Haven key card (or recognition).

Now, as to whether they take action or not, I am sure Adrian and his team would discretely say something, but would someone cleaning up the towels? Possibly not.

And they make it very clear during orientation that you are not permitted to bring guests in. Very very clear, so you have no excuse.