Balcony Door Lock/Sleepwalking Concern

mad-dog74

OK--- while I'm not too worried about it... my wife is.

Our 12 year old son occasionaly will sleepwalk. She is worried he will try to open the balcony door. Any suggestions in addition to "just keep it locked"? That will not deter him if he is familiar thru the week of unlocking and opening the door.

I've suggested that we will just block the door at night with something... the vanity chair, luggage, etc. Not too worried if we are able to hear him.... oh yeah, now I mention this... we will have connecting cabins so they will be in the adjoining cabin.

I've not sailed on Harmony of the Seas, but on Allure of the Seas and others, I think, there is a child lock located high on the door frame. For a 12 year old boy, when he's awake, it wouldn't be an impediment, but for someone who's asleep, perhaps it would be?

Our 12 year old son occasionaly will sleepwalk. She is worried he will try to open the balcony door. Any suggestions in addition to "just keep it locked"? That will not deter him if he is familiar thru the week of unlocking and opening the door.

I've suggested that we will just block the door at night with something... the vanity chair, luggage, etc. Not too worried if we are able to hear him.... oh yeah, now I mention this... we will have connecting cabins so they will be in the adjoining cabin.

On the HM (and some other ships) there is a lock on the upper edge of the door. That should be enough.

On the HM (and some other ships) there is a lock on the upper edge of the door. That should be enough.

oh yeah! Not a concern anymore then!!! As long as there is something in addition to just the "regular" lock, WE ARE FINE!

THANKS!

There's an extra lock up higher that you won't use on a regular basis (it's a child lock). Just lock that and you should be fine. You'll also hear the door opening if your connecting door is open, and unless he's in the habit of pulling the chair over and climbing over the railing, it shouldn't be an issue even if he gets out there -- you cannot just "fall overboard"!

Opening the balcony door on Harmony takes quite a bit of effort. You must rotate the handle 180 degrees, and then pull the door open. Both take a surprising amount of strength!

Just off HM and I agree. If balcony slider is properly locked by handle and upper security lock you will need to be awake in order to open the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps you could make sure he doesn't become accustomed to opening and closing it on his own during the week so that it is more obvious if he is fussing with it at night. I had a similar concern with my younger son so I get it (we canceled for other reasons)!

Perhaps you could make sure he doesn't become accustomed to opening and closing it on his own during the week so that it is more obvious if he is fussing with it at night. I had a similar concern with my younger son so I get it (we canceled for other reasons)!

That's what we thought too!

Thanks everyone for the tips... we should be fine!

I have trouble opening the freaking lock when I'm wide awake and a total adult! Should your child try, you will DEFINITELY hear it....she will be no more than 3 steps away. Cabins are small....nothing is more than 3 steps away!

OP's child is a "12 year old son" in an adjoining cabin, not within 3 steps.

I recommend putting that person on your "ignore" list. I have yet to read a single accurate post, and he/she/it never comes back to respond to your corrections.

Just use the ignore function and you don't have to read that crap anymore.

Ah, but knowing that would require that she actually read the OP's original post.

In any event, when the grandchildren were small we got inexpensive plastic stick-up alarms for the bedroom doors. You can easily bring one and put it on the balcony door (or even one for the room door if you think he might leave the room).

I have trouble opening the freaking lock when I'm wide awake and a total adult! Should your child try, you will DEFINITELY hear it....she will be no more than 3 steps away. Cabins are small....nothing is more than 3 steps away!

You evidentially did not read my original post.... First of all, it is an CONNECTING CABIN... certainly more than 3 steps away. Also, SHE is a HE. My original post clearly said son... not that its a big deal.

Anyway, I am sorry you are an adult who has trouble opening locks :(

You evidentially did not read my original post.... First of all, it is an CONNECTING CABIN... certainly more than 3 steps away. Also, SHE is a HE. My original post clearly said son... not that its a big deal.

Anyway, I am sorry you are an adult who has trouble opening locks :(

Above poster also has trouble posting accurate info much of the time. :rolleyes: Not the quoted poster,but the one he/she is responding to.

Edited by Rala
add'l info

Opening the balcony door on Harmony takes quite a bit of effort. You must rotate the handle 180 degrees, and then pull the door open. Both take a surprising amount of strength!

Just on the Harmony 2 weeks ago. We were having trouble with our balcony door. Took a lot of effort to open it. We were almost to the point where we were going to report it. Then we actually looked at the directions for the handle. You have to rotate it all the way up for it to open smoothly. Apparently that's the locking mechanisms. We felt foolish. Opens smoothly when you do it right.

To OP, not to overly concern you, but I would also be cognizant of your son perhaps wandering out into the hallway. Cabin doors, just like hotel doors, do lock behind you. Again, not trying to worry you, but he could be out of room quickly and anywhere on the ship in seconds/minutes.

Don't particularly remember, but I think some cabins have an inside deadbolt and/or some type of security chain. I think you can buy devices to set an extra lock or alarm. Just an additional thought.

To OP, not to overly concern you, but I would also be cognizant of your son perhaps wandering out into the hallway. Cabin doors, just like hotel doors, do lock behind you. Again, not trying to worry you, but he could be out of room quickly and anywhere on the ship in seconds/minutes.

Don't particularly remember, but I think some cabins have an inside deadbolt and/or some type of security chain. I think you can buy devices to set an extra lock or alarm. Just an additional thought.

Thanks! We've thought about that too... walking down a hallway isn't nearly as dangerous though as being on a balcony. We were in a hotel room once and he tried to escape. My wife and I are pretty light sleepers. We're somewhat tuned in trying to listen for him.

Been on the Allure and Oasis, it takes two people and a small boy to open the balcony doors. As pointed out, they are heavy and the handle must be rotated 180 degrees and it's not like a normal patio door to slide back.

I am not that familiar with people who sleepwalk, but I would guess it's more about normal everyday motions they do vs out of the ordinary movements. Even locking the hallway door is different than at home.

I recommend putting that person on your "ignore" list. I have yet to read a single accurate post, and he/she/it never comes back to respond to your corrections.

Just use the ignore function and you don't have to read that crap anymore.

I agree, cb has over 70,000 posts and I have yet to read an accurate one yet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've suggested that we will just block the door at night with something... the vanity chair, luggage, etc. Not too worried if we are able to hear him.... oh yeah, now I mention this... we will have connecting cabins so they will be in the adjoining cabin.[/quote

What about considering a cabin without a balcony. That might help your wife relax