Luggage problem

Roce48

I have the plastic sleeve tags from Cruise Critic...worth every penny and its not many:hearteyes:

The slip tie attachment cord is very thick and I do not see them breaking under any circumstance, They'd have to be cut IMHO to come off.

I do not work for CC....:halo:

here's a question. when disembarking what info do you want on your luggage tag?

I only put our last name on the tag. Once we retrieve our luggage in the cruise terminal I immediately tear the tags off and deposit them in the first trash can I see.

here's a question. when disembarking what info do you want on your luggage tag?

You want your depature tag number prominently displayed and I'd also have a cell phone number permanently attached.

I would have thought it hard to have two luggage tags torn off a suitcase, until last summer. On a flight to Anchorage, to start a cruise, somehow my luggage not only lost its ID tags (two), but it also lost the two luggage locks (one for each zipper) plus the zipper heads they were attached to. Airline tag was still intact thankfully, so it made it to the right plane and destination. But the zippers were useless, and things only stayed in the case because of the strap and because I used packing cubes.

I was fortunate the airline made it right on the spot. All we could figure was it got snagged on a piece of machinery somewhere along the way. Things happen.

Let's see, the porter, in your plain site, only tosses your bag onto a rack. They did not loose, your bag, toss it around, and played kick the luggage because of your tip. Let's see, they will possibly loose their 80K - 120K job over a $2.00 tip.

True but if it is loaded on their trolly with 30 other cases I am happy they are next to go on the ship and not left lying around.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Let's see, the porter, in your plain site, only tosses your bag onto a rack. They did not loose, your bag, toss it around, and played kick the luggage because of your tip. Let's see, they will possibly loose their 80K - 120K job over a $2.00 tip.

Are you serious 80k-120k for lugging cases? They should be tipping me.

Are you serious 80k-120k for lugging cases? They should be tipping me.

Yup. People who load ships are called longshoreman. They are highly skilled dock workers. They load the cart, push it to a holding area, picked up by a forklift, and loaded on the ship, where their job is done. All the hard work is done by ships staff, sorting and delivering. The Longshoreman, just loads the ship, along with the food, and booze.

Now, when you get off the ship, those people who will help you with your bags, are porters. They work for tips. They deliver your bag to your car. Don't get them confused with the loaders. Two different groups. Tip the porter, and the longshoreman, give them a friendly nod, and say thanks.

It's a racket for them. If you think somehow it will matter, give them a few dollars, but remember, they are not part of the ship, and are not part of the service industry (service industry are tipped professions)

Yup. People who load ships are called longshoreman. They are highly skilled dock workers. They load the cart, push it to a holding area, picked up by a forklift, and loaded on the ship, where their job is done. All the hard work is done by ships staff, sorting and delivering. The Longshoreman, just loads the ship, along with the food, and booze.

Now, when you get off the ship, those people who will help you with your bags, are porters. They work for tips. They deliver your bag to your car. Don't get them confused with the loaders. Two different groups. Tip the porter, and the longshoreman, give them a friendly nod, and say thanks.

It's a racket for them. If you think somehow it will matter, give them a few dollars, but remember, they are not part of the ship, and are not part of the service industry (service industry are tipped professions)

HA HA and yes, those longshoremen are murder on bags. I once watched one actually run fully over a bag when it fell off the cart he was pushing with his front end loader, from the deck of Mariner where we waited to move down the gangway. It was squashed! And then another of them threw it back on the cart.

I have always printed the free luggage tags and attached according to directions, folding and taping with a good clear tape (like a wide packing tape the post office or Walmart sells), covering all the vital information. Print as many as you want if you like putting more than one tag on as a previous poster stated. We have never lost any of these tags before or after a cruise and have to cut them off before the next trip. Paper is a lot stronger than you think when it's folded. I also put our name, address, phone numbers inside the luggage for identification purposes just in case.

I've done the same thing. I print out the tags and lay them flat. Then I put the large clear packing tape on both sides (just like laminating). Then I fold it over a handle and use the clear packing tape to secure both sides together. It will not come off unless it's cut off.

I've done the same thing. I print out the tags and lay them flat. Then I put the large clear packing tape on both sides (just like laminating). Then I fold it over a handle and use the clear packing tape to secure both sides together. It will not come off unless it's cut off.

I do the same thing, but at the ends of the paper, I extend the tape by about an inch, I remove the paper from the table carefully and fold the ends of the tape under so when I fold the tags on the dotted lines and fold in half, I punch a hole through the tape and take plastic twist ties to attach to the bags, haven't had any problems yet.