Video system to monitor my kids in cabin across the hall?

the admiral12

I am on the Carribean Princess next month and I will have my teenagers across the hall from us. Is there system that will work on the ship so I can make sure they are behaving/in their cabins?

I have WIFI based cameras at home but I am not sure that can work on the ship due to the extreme cost of internet service. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

There are options for monitoring that should work from your cabin - direct wifi connection to your phone or take your wifi router - but if they know you are watching they will play up elsewhere. I can't think of a way to watch from further away.

If they are "active" teens, you may need to point out that passengers can be put off the ship for acting up.

IMO the best solution is to simply tell them if they don't behave, or if they make a huge mess, etc. that the next cruise they will stay at home. It seems kinda freeky to have to monitor teens behavior by video, whether at hoe or on a cruise, unless they are special needs.

Is there some sort of unique reason that your teenagers need to be monitored this way? If not, teens old enough to be booked into a room by themselves are old enough to know how you expect them to behave as well as understand consequences for failing to do so.

And if they are unable or unwilling to behave as you expect, then the best way to handle it on a cruise is to put one adult and one child in each room.

Oh my.. leaves me speechless .............

My only suggestion would be for you t o share their ca bin and 'live with tthem if you do not feel you can trust them o ttheir own. Do you have enough time before your cruise for some ' teaching?

Yeah. I too have teenagers but I have to agree. There is a reason that the cruiseline won't allow minors in a separate room from adults. Sure you can bypass it but if you can't trust your kids to behave don't put them in a room by themselves.

Investigate Angelease which was developed by the father of an autistic child to monitor his whereabouts as he had a tendency to wander off.

Or what about one of those door knob alarms except that you put it on the outside of the cabin door after the teens are tucked in for thenight?

Investigate Angelease which was developed by the father of an autistic child to monitor his whereabouts as he had a tendency to wander off.

Or what about one of those door knob alarms except that you put it on the outside of the cabin door after the teens are tucked in for thenight?

Woulnd't a door alarm iotside the door disturb people in cabins nearby? Maybe they want to sleep, read,, whattever............. This is a shared space and not a private residence.

Woulndn't a door alart outside the door disturb people in cabins nearby? Maybe they want to sleep, read,, whattever............. This is a shared space and not a private residence.

How many cameras were you planning? Bedroom? Bathroom? How many do you use at home? Night vision? Hidden? I think it is creepy to video monitor your teenagers' bedroom, creepier still to know that video monitors can be hacked.

If you really feel its necessary you might try a baby monitor that doesn't require wifi. I do agree with the others. If you can't trust them, don't bring them on a cruise. You will not be able to watch them all the time and trying to do so would really put a damper on the cruise.

Everyone has given you answers to your question. It would be really nice if you could come back and answer the questions instead of us all coming up to solutions for a problem that we don't even know exists.

Do you really stay awake all night long to monitor them. Or, is this a record and watch later thing. Agree with others about staying in their own cabin. Unless there is a medical issue, maybe you need to spend your time teaching them the proper values of life. I can't imagine rewarding my kids by taking them on a cruise if they are so out of control that you can't go to sleep and trust them to do the same.

I believe your options are for your DH to sleep in one room and you in the other if you are worried about their behavior or like I said, a medical issue.

Please DO NOT put an alarm on the outside of your cabin. That would be the epitome of thinking only of yourself. I can tell you I would be all over you if you did that and woke me in the middle of the night. Imagine having a small child in one of the cabins around you and your teens left their cabin setting off the alarm and woke my child who now could not go back to sleep.

Such an larm that can be heard in nearrby c bs ins, is reason enough for them to be put off the ship, IMO. They have no business disturb ing other guests with siren type noisestahat could frighten a young child etc

Mistake on monitor- it's called AngelSense. Sorry about the suggestion for the door alarm- it was made tongue-in-cheek.

Princess does have some type of internal cell phone texting setup that could work for these parents in keeping track of their teens.

Just when you think you have heard it all-----There's always a good laugh to be had on CC.

Teenagers who have to be monitored that closely should be left home until they learn how to behave on a cruise.

Monitoring your kids isn't JUST because they might do something wrong /because you don't trust them ... it's also because you want to know who else is knocking on their cabin door, possibly entering their cabin ... with or without the kids' permission. My kids are adults now, but when they were teens, I would've trusted them ... but I also know they were teens and subject to the impulsive behavior and immature reasoning that goes along with that age. I could see them saying, "But it's just those nice girls we hung out with at the pool!" Then the nice girls bring in a few friends, and suddenly things are out of hand. Just don't put the kids into a position where such things can happen.

Personally, I wouldn't place them across the hall. I'd only go with separate rooms if I could have CONNECTING cabins and could leave the door between the two cabins open. If I couldn't get this, I'd either change weeks or share one cabin.

Since it?s part of the contract not to allow teens in a room without an older guest, I wonder what the passenger liability would be if something went wrong in the cabin. The video camera would imply that the parents knew that something could go wrong.

Hi there

I do agree with most of what others have posted already.

I don't know what you are "worried" about, but I thought I would be clear, you are responsible. If they do something really stupid, your whole family could find yourselves being put off the ship at the next port, having to make arrangements to get home (hope you all have passports), with possible penalty fees added to your credit card. If it were something illegal it could get considerably worse.

Just wondering, have you done this before as a family?

good luck

Seeingg OP is not posting, pehaps some 'teaching, ruules and infomattion as too potential punishments is going on witth the teens and parrents. :)

Edited by sail7seas

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to sound harsh, but if your kids need once watched via video cameras to make sure they are behaving, there may be something wrong with the way you are parenting them. Raise them right and you should be able to trust them when they are not with you. I'm not saying kids are perfect in the absence of an adult, but they shouldn't be doing anything so bad that it needs to be caught on camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app