Discounted Carnival Gift Cards

MTruvillio

I posted a link on this thread on September 24th. I am going to be selling my unwanted Carnival gift cards on carpool.com at 15% discount. I am in the process of getting the cards registered online but they should be available for sale soon. I had them listed on craigslist but as I seller I am more comfortable using a legitimate third party.

It's against the terms of the gift card to resell them (even innocently as an individual looking to unload ones they can't use). Carnival can void them without refund if discovered.

WOW! These fraudsters thing of everything don't they. It is a shame that they can't use their corrupt minds to do good things rather than bad. It just ends up ruining it for everyone else :(
As the case with many things in society today.
This!

It's against the terms of the gift card to resell them (even innocently as an individual looking to unload ones they can't use). Carnival can void them without refund if discovered.
Put all this together and note the following: it's not just those who are selling fraudulent gift cards who are violating. Even those reselling perfectly valid gift cards are a key and fundamental part of the process. Without a market for reselling gift cards in violation of the terms and conditions nobody would trust those who are selling fraudulent cards. Because some people are selling valid cards in violation of the terms and conditions consumers don't know who to trust and who not to, and as a result get caught up in these situations.

If we're going to complain about transgression then we need to complain in proportion to how much transgression there is. Life isn't black and white. So while selling fraudulent cards is Major violation that calls on us to express great outrage, reselling *valid* cards is also a violation and requires us to express outrage as well, albeit not as great.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

This!

Put all this together and note the following: it's not just those who are selling fraudulent gift cards who are violating. Even those reselling perfectly valid gift cards are a key and fundamental part of the process. Without a market for reselling gift cards in violation of the terms and conditions nobody would trust those who are selling fraudulent cards. Because some people are selling valid cards in violation of the terms and conditions consumers don't know who to trust and who not to, and as a result get caught up in these situations.

If we're going to complain about transgression then we need to complain in proportion to how much transgression there is. Life isn't black and white. So while selling fraudulent cards is Major violation that calls on us to express great outrage, reselling *valid* cards is also a violation and requires us to express outrage as well, albeit not as great.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I am sure that you are an 100% upstanding Citizen of the USA and never violate any policies of any sorts.

You don't have to worry yourself about that ;). There are more important things in life to worry about. Have a fab day!

I am sure that you are an 100% upstanding Citizen of the USA and never violate any policies of any sorts.
Pretty much, but that's a red herring. More importantly, any insinuation that people pointing out the risks of being a violator should be the target of ridicule or otherwise disparaged says more about the deficient character of the person voicing the disparagement than about the person pointing out the risks of being a violator. Despite what some folks may prefer, a society is still shaped by its civics, even if there are many members of the society that don't learn the lessons of civics.

Regardless, it goes beyond not being an exploitative person - it goes to decorum: Common sense dictates that if you're going to be a violator, don't boast about it, and basic integrity dictates that if you suffer some harm from being a violator then take full responsibility for that harm onto yourself rather than trying to scapegoat others for not protecting you from yourself. If you go 5 miles over the speed limit, don't say one bad word about the police office who gives you a speeding ticket. If you buy scalped tickets to a concert, don't blame the venue for not letting you in to see the show or in any way aiding you in getting your money back from the scalper.

Pretty much, but that's a red herring. More importantly, any insinuation that people pointing out the risks of being a violator should be the target of ridicule or otherwise disparaged says more about the deficient character of the person voicing the disparagement than about the person pointing out the risks of being a violator. Despite what some folks may prefer, a society is still shaped by its civics, even if there are many members of the society that don't learn the lessons of civics.

Regardless, it goes beyond not being an exploitative person - it goes to decorum: Common sense dictates that if you're going to be a violator, don't boast about it, and basic integrity dictates that if you suffer some harm from being a violator then take full responsibility for that harm onto yourself rather than trying to scapegoat others for not protecting you from yourself. If you go 5 miles over the speed limit, don't say one bad word about the police office who gives you a speeding ticket. If you buy scalped tickets to a concert, don't blame the venue for not letting you in to see the show or in any way aiding you in getting your money back from the scalper.

I have nothing but empathy for you. I have better things to do than keep responding to your posts/opinions!

I have nothing but empathy for you.
You seem to think this topic is about you and me. It isn't. It's about gift cards, the reselling of gift cards, and how that violates the terms and conditions. None of that is "opinion". We're left wondering why you would post a patronizing evasion rather than addressing the inescapably related matters of integrity and character that your own earlier sarcastic post raised.

I have never seen Carnival GC at Walmart but I live in Texas

The second quarter is typically your best bet for Chase Freedom card holders - those who live in Meijer's territory (KY, OH, IN, MI, IL, WI) will typically have an opportunity to score 10% MPerks on gift cards, on top of getting the 5% cash back in the grocery category - $500 in gift cards still costs $500 up front, but you will get $50 in free groceries or merchandise from Meijer, and $25.00 back from Chase instead of $5.00, for a net cost of $425.00. If you time your June purchase correctly you can use the $50 MPerks after July 1, when groceries go back to 1%.

If you don't have Meijer in your area, check for Publix (FL, GA, SC, NC, VA, TN, AL) specials on gift cards.

Kroger (which has a variety of nameplates nationally) also runs promotions on fuel points on gift cards, as those occasionally balloon to 4X points - for example, a $250.00 gift card gets you 1,000 points, good for $1.00 off per gallon (up to 35 gallons), and if you can layer that with 5% cash back, and vehicles that require that much gas, you could get $250 in gift cards for $202.50. I suppose if you wanted to milk the 5% back as much as possible, you could buy a Kroger gift card and use it pay for gas.

Your only real play for Walmart this quarter is to buy their gift cards with Chase Freedom (5% back), and then use them to buy gas at their own or Murphy USA gas stations ($0.03/gallon off).

Keep in mind you are limited to $75 cash back in one category for a quarter.

• 4 months later...

I was going to book a last minute cruise and always buy GC through Allstate or AARP. Both are 100% sold out of electronic GC's. I do not have Sprint or Verizon phone service. Any other ways to get discounted cards other than go to ebay/craigslist, which I will not do. Thanks.

I was going to book a last minute cruise and always buy GC through Allstate or AARP. Both are 100% sold out of electronic GC's. I do not have Sprint or Verizon phone service. Any other ways to get discounted cards other than go to ebay/craigslist, which I will not do. Thanks.

I am not sure why you avoid Ebay but to each their own. If you change your mind, on occasion you can find 20% discounted gift cards on Ebay. I buy them when they're there but they're not as common as the 10% ones you get on AARP & Allstate. Verizon did away with their rewards program in November 2017 and I know nothing about Sprint.

I am not sure why you avoid Ebay but to each their own. If you change your mind, on occasion you can find 20% discounted gift cards on Ebay. I buy them when they're there but they're not as common as the 10% ones you get on AARP & Allstate. Verizon did away with their rewards program in November 2017 and I know nothing about Sprint.

The only time I bought GCs from eBay was through PayPal Digital Sales or whatever it was. eBay used to offer the coupons for 10-20% off but now their coupons are no longer valid on gift cards. I would only buy from a trusted source like that. Never a private individual.

I have bought close to a dozen GC through AARP or Allstate over the past 10 months without a problem, so I guess I was lucky? There is nothing in Ebay currently anyway. I think selling a GC is against their terms of service.

The ones through Allstate and AARP are through a legitimate source.

The issue is the ones who are buying from a website that has listings from individuals.

example... the website will list something like the following:

John is selling a $500 card for $420

Betty is selling $1000 of cards for $800

Jack is selling $300 of cards for $250

Let's assume that John and Betty are honest people, and that Jack is a fraudster.... Whoever buys John and Betty's gift cards end up happy with their deal.

In the meantime, Jack used a stolen credit card to purchase the $300 in gift cards. When the true legitimate cardholder sees a $300 charge from Carnival on their bank statement that was not made by them, the cardholder disputes the transaction with their bank who reverses the charge. The bank then makes Carnival pay the $300 back to them. Carnival then looks up the transaction in question on their system, and cancels the value on the card.

Let's say Jill is the person who bought the $300 of cards from Jack. When Jill tries to use the $300 of Jack's cards, she is told by Carnival that the card is not valid. If Jill has already used the card when Carnival was given notice from the bank, then Carnival adjusts Jill's balance by $300, and makes her pay the $300 again if she wants to cruise.

• 4 weeks later...
I got mine from AARP. If you are not over 50, you know someone who is. You do not have to be a member just buy the gift cards under that person's name.

You don’t even need that. I’m in my 30’s and I buy them under my name.

I got mine from AARP. If you are not over 50, you know someone who is. You do not have to be a member just buy the gift cards under that person's name.

Anyone can buy these, you don't have to sign up anyone else. You can buy them if you're 17 years old if you want to under your own name. I am in my 30's and have been buying them for a while from AARP and Allstate both. (and Verizon when they had them)

As others have said, anyone can sign up for the AARP Rewards for Good program to buy the discount gift cards. In addition, I just joined AARP as a member a couple days ago at age 42. You don't even have to be 50 to be a member and still get to take advantage of the member discounts. There are some things that require you to be 50, but the discounts can be used by the under 50 members too. They have a 25% off deal going right now if you join under their "automatic renewal," so my membership is only $12 for the first year. After that, it goes up to the regular price of $16, but I'll probably cancel before it automatically renews. Unless, of course, we find that we use it a lot. But as far as our upcoming cruise, becoming a member is already going to save us over $100 on our rental car plus discounts on hotels that we haven't even figured up yet. Well worth that $12 membership fee.