Celebrity excursions

mandygal00

If you book an excursion through Celebrity, are there only Celebrity people on that excursion? For example, we booked a dolphin swim in St. Kitts- will there only be people from our ship, or do they combine with other people?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm assuming your dolphin swim is booked through something like a dolphin discovery center? That's like booking an excursion to sea world. There won't necessarily be other people on the bus with you, but will certainly be at the dolphin swim

You will find non ship excursions less crowded and cheaper. 😉

The tradeoff is that if something delays the non ship excursion, the ship will not wait for you. you have to pay close attention to excursion time, travel to and from the ship and how near the dock the non ship operator is allowed to the ship. all the time hoping there is not an accident on the road that would delay you.

We are usually not excursion people, would rather wander the ports of call.

If you book an excursion through Celebrity, are there only Celebrity people on that excursion? For example, we booked a dolphin swim in St. Kitts- will there only be people from our ship, or do they combine with other people?

A typical cruise ship excursion will have only folks from your particular ship. Most cruise lines (including Celebrity) send a crew member (often an entertainer, one of the ship employees, etc) on every tour bus to help the guide "herd" the cattle...oops mean passengers through the tour :). We do know of some private tours that combine folks from more then one ship.

Hank

In many yrs of booking Celeb excursions we only experienced this twice

On St Lucia we went by boat to beach snorkel at the Pitons..we picked up 4 /5 people at a resort in a cove along the way ..and I think we dropped them off going back ... It was annoying because it took awhile to get them on and off & the stops cut into our excursion time..not even sure X was aware...

In Hawaii..on one of our snorkel excursions, we had a few of the activities crew from the American ship that cruises Hawaii on their day off.... Was interesting meeting them..

It can vary depending on the type of excursion.

For many excursions they charter a private bus to get you to and from the destination/s, but then you mingle with the general public to experience the place or event after you get there.

Conversely, some excursions use public transportation such as a ferry boat or train ride that also sells tickets to the general public to get you to your destination, but then you have a private tour or activity just for your group once you arrive there.

Other excursions are exclusively for cruise ship passengers from beginning to end.

They even charter a ferry or excursion boat or reserve a train car for some excursions, when appropriate.

If this is a concern, the people at Shore Excursions should be able to give you more details than what is shown in the brochure.

We find it helps if you can speak with someone there who has actually taken the particular excursion in question. If they can't answer a question we have, they usually will contact the tour vendor to get the answer for us.

Edited by varoo

We took a Celebrity excursion in Antigua last year that was a boat that sailed around the island. Not only were there more than just Celebrity people who boarded with us they also stopped on the way at a Sandals resort to pick up more people.

Be advised that Celebrity does not deal with the local tour provider. Both the cruise line and the provider deal with a middle man who is the broker.

The broker will fill the tour with as many people from all passenger sources as he can. The provider just gets a number and the source and has no control.

This is how many excursions get cancelled. If you say have a max capacity of 30 and you get 4 from one location and 26 from another, the broker will cancel the 4 and fill the tour from the other source.

We found this out while on a tour in Antigua that had the depart time changed purportedly due to equipment problems on the part of the provider. When talking to the provider he had another story because the tour at our original time went out.

So the middleman broker who the actual customer cannot complain to, lies to both the passenger source and the provider and does whatever the heck they want.

I book my own excursions after carefully checking out the credentials of the provider. And since the crooked middleman isn't getting a cut it is always cheaper.

• 1 month later...

Looking for people to fill our private tours from the June 24 sailing of the Celebrity Constellation. We need...

4 people for an all-day trip to Florence by private van. (6 hours in Florence with tour) - 80 euros per person

4 people for an all-day private excursion to the Cinque Terre from Positano - 94 euros per person

4 people for an all-day private excursion to the French Riviera (Nice, Monaco, Eze, Monte Carlo) from Villefranche - 80 euros per person

4 people for an all-day private excursion through Provence from Toulon - 80 euros per person

Email me at rich.winer@spwm.com if you are interested.

Looking for people to fill our private tours from the June 24 sailing of the Celebrity Constellation. We need...

4 people for an all-day trip to Florence by private van. (6 hours in Florence with tour) - 80 euros per person

4 people for an all-day private excursion to the Cinque Terre from Positano - 94 euros per person

4 people for an all-day private excursion to the French Riviera (Nice, Monaco, Eze, Monte Carlo) from Villefranche - 80 euros per person

4 people for an all-day private excursion through Provence from Toulon - 80 euros per person

Email me at rich.winer@spwm.com if you are interested.

Put this post on your roll call - 2 reasons, first, that's the Cruise Critic guideline for tour share requests, and second, more people on your actual sailing will see your request.

Put this post on your roll call - 2 reasons, first, that's the Cruise Critic guideline for tour share requests, and second, more people on your actual sailing will see your request.

I did, but I have not had any replies in a few days.