No Power in the Shower!

A funny story I would like to share!

On our recent cruise on the MS Koningsdam, my spouse was using his room card in the main power slot to keep the lights on in the room. While I was showering, he went out and took his card with him. After a few minutes the lights went out and I was stuck in the shower in the pitch dark. A loud yipe got my spouse's attention as he arrived back in the room a few seconds after the darkness came. It got me wondering if this happened to someone less able than I, the outcome could have been less than funny. I would have had to fumble in the dark to turn off the water and find my way out of the shower and to the door of the washroom in the dark, totally wet and nakey. Could have been dangerous with slipping a possibility. We laugh about it as it was kind of funny at the time, but these main power slots to save electricity could cause injury to someone in the future. I recommend not using your room card. :D

Funny story and I'm sure it happens more often :cool:.

Most hotels around the World, and more and more ships use this system.

You can use any plastic card actually, but bear in mind that always leaving the electricity working is bad for the environment and goes against the philosophy of the system obviously...

Funny story and I'm sure it happens more often :cool:.

Most hotels around the World, and more and more ships use this system.

You can use any plastic card actually, but bear in mind that always leaving the electricity working is bad for the environment and goes against the philosophy of the system obviously...

We used a paper business card and that worked as well. We usually do pull the card when we go out as we are good sailors who love the planet! :halo:

Probably the best thing is to not take your card out of the slot upon leaving the room when someone is still in it an!

We don't use our ship cards for the slot, we keep another one nearby and always take it out when nobody is in the cabin. The paper business card the stewards left for us actually worked quite well in the light slot.

I always use an old library card -- that way if one of us leaves the cabin the lights will still be on and whomever has left can still get in the cabin. This was when we first sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam in a Neptune Suite.

I don't know about the Pinnacle Suite on the Koningsdam, but on the Nieuw Amsterdam we did not have to use any kind of card for the lights.

Does the system control power to the outlets too? We frequently leave things charging when we go out. Then again we are fanatical about turning off lights so could leave a spare card in the slot if needed.

I'm a bit surprised by this, as the bathroom light is typically the emergency light for the cabin, and should be on a separate circuit from the rest of the lights and outlets.

So was I when the lights went out. Pitch black! :eek:

I'm a bit surprised by this, as the bathroom light is typically the emergency light for the cabin, and should be on a separate circuit from the rest of the lights and outlets.

Definitely not on a separate circuit. Once you pull the card out, there is a bit of a delay before the lights go out.

Another problem we had was the card popping out of the slot from time to time. :mad:

Does the system control power to the outlets too? We frequently leave things charging when we go out. Then again we are fanatical about turning off lights so could leave a spare card in the slot if needed.

No, they will keep on charging.

On the Koningsdam the bed side lights also did not go out - I think that is true for other ships too since I remember coming back from dinner to find the Scary Monkey hanging from the ceiling with a bed lamp spotlighting on it.

We leave a card in the slot all the time and always lift it a little to kill lights when we go out. A few times we have found upon return that our steward has left the card down, and lights on in the room.

We leave a card in the slot all the time and always lift it a little to kill lights when we go out. A few times we have found upon return that our steward has left the card down, and lights on in the room.

On our January Koningsdam cruise, our steward left his card in the slot many, many times. Since it was our first cruise with this system we began to wonder if they all did that. But he also did other strange things too, like replacing just one towel at a time... I think it was just him. :rolleyes:

We used a paper business card and that worked as well.
Wow, really? How does that work? Are these systems just physical switches at the bottom of a slot?

No, they will keep on charging.
Hmmm... I thought I read the opposite on a post on this forum. Does this perhaps vary from ship to ship?

Wow, really? How does that work? Are these systems just physical switches at the bottom of a slot?

Hmmm... I thought I read the opposite on a post on this forum. Does this perhaps vary from ship to ship?

We used the stewards business card on NA and it worked just fine.

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

On our January Koningsdam cruise, our steward left his card in the slot many, many times.
On the N.A. our steward left a blank white card in the slot for about the first 3 days only.

Yes. It probably just works a relay so that the switch doesn't carry the full current.

No. Only the N.A. and K-dam use the system, and in both of them the wall outlets stay on. HVAC too. I've heard people say that cuts off when the card is pulled, but it's not true. Edited by jtl513

Has not happened on us. We have not yet felt the need to bring our room card if a companion will be left in the room.
What happens when you return if your companion is out on the balcony or in the shower or sleeping etc, and doesn't hear you knocking on the door?

IMHO, leaving electronics charging while not in the room is a bit risky, although low probability, still a chance for a fire.

Now we unplug charging items when we leave, we try to get things charged overnight using a multi tap plug, and when we're in the room during the day. The room steward has unplugged electronics in the past and I realized that that was probably a good idea so I have tried my best to follow suit.

I do find it somewhere between amusing and irritating to come back to the room at night to find both reading lights on, but as observed above, the bathroom light won't stay on without a card!... Nieuw Amsterdam is my only experience with this system. I too love the planet and I guess every little bit helps. m--

What happens when you return if your companion is out on the balcony or in the shower or sleeping etc, and doesn't hear you knocking on the door?

I thought the point was to place the room key of the person in the shower in the slot (or take their room key) rather than leaving the slot empty.

I thought the point was to place the room key of the person in the shower in the slot (or take their room key) rather than leaving the slot empty.
Of course. I was questioning easyboy who said:

Has not happened on us. We have not yet felt the need to bring our room card if a companion will be left in the room.

Plus if easyboy doesn't take his key-card with him, then the companion can't decide to leave or he will be locked out.

Edited by catl331