Visas to be needed for European travel: how does this impact Cruisers?

If you look around the board, there are several threads about this.

First, as I understand this, it has not received final approval.

Second, it won't take effect this year, most likely.

Third, it will likely entail a few bucks, and an online visa application like Europeans have to do to come to the US, and like US citizens have to do to travel to Australia. Very simple, maybe takes 20 minutes.

After completing this online app, you will be able to travel in Europe just like you always have.

Again, none of this is final yet.

Right now it's merely political gamesmanship. Nothing for anyone to fret about - just watch and wait. Speculating how cruise lines would handle visas for EU countries if visas are ever required is just too many layers of speculation to bother with.

On the OP's comment about the cruise lines getting the visas for their pax, maybe, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Princess used to get them for people requiring them going to Australia, but has stopped, as there are questions and info required which would be challenging for Princess to assemble. And, as the online process is so easy, just better for the pax to take care of their own. Remember the individual is ultimately responsible, not the cruise line.

Right now it's merely political gamesmanship. Nothing for anyone to fret about - just watch and wait. Speculating how cruise lines would handle visas for EU countries if visas are ever required is just too many layers of speculation to bother with.

Plus 1.

Love us or not, American travelers keep the world's tourism industry "in the black ." The last thing the European Union wants to do is "cut its nose off to spite its face." All will work out just fine.

If not, the silver lining for "same old Med" cruisers will be discovery of the Southern Hemisphere - particularly on the Pacific side.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

From what I heard, it is not for all European countries but C roatia is one.

The requirement would be for American travel to all EU countries. The issue is caused by 5 members of the EU (one is Croatia) that have not be allowed to travel visa free to the US because their passport/visa screening system are not up to modern security standards. Because they are members of the EU, the EU is applying the visa requirements to Americans that the US applies to some of the EU's members. We would be upset of another country said Americans can travel visa-free to other countries, except if they are from these 5 states. Residents of those 5 states require a visa, with a fee, of course.

[quote name=Flatbush Flyer;52453020

Love us or not' date=' American travelers keep the world's tourism industry "in the black ." The last thing the European Union wants to do is "cut its nose off to spite its face."

The US is not the largest source of tourists in Europe, and I'm sure they'd still manage just fine if the number of US tourists dropped because of any new rules.

That said, I'm not sure why anyone is particularly surprised at the tightening of international borders, though.

The requirement would be for American travel to all EU countries. The issue is caused by 5 members of the EU (one is Croatia) that have not be allowed to travel visa free to the US because their passport/visa screening system are not up to modern security standards. Because they are members of the EU, the EU is applying the visa requirements to Americans that the US applies to some of the EU's members. We would be upset of another country said Americans can travel visa-free to other countries, except if they are from these 5 states. Residents of those 5 states require a visa, with a fee, of course.

I am so grateful we did so much tavel in Eueope in th e years when it was so easy, there was litle anti Americanism, that w e expeienced and we had incredibly wonderful trip Air travel was not haated in the way somme hate it today.to . IF EU and U.S. make it more diffiuclt for tours its, my guess is they will see fewer Norrth Amerians putting up with it ard fewer from Europe bothering to travel to NU.S. and/or Canada.

. Speaking only for myself, the harder they wish to make it, the more incdined I would be to avoid their hassle and either cruise/ visit, elsewhere or stay home.

Edited by sail7seas

I am so grateful we did so much tavel in Eueope in th e years when it was so easy, there was litle anti Americanism

This isn't anti-Americanism; it is retaliation or repayment in kind for what the US is doing to nationals from certain EU countries. From what I gather, cruisers will not need a visa for EACH country visited; rather a blanket visa (not unlike the ESTA that the US issues) will be needed for the first EU country visited. For us, on this year's cruise, that would be Portugal for our stop in Madeira. Port stops in Spain, France, and Italy would be covered by that one visa.

As others have said, this is unlikely to take effect soon.

We go to Europe almost every year (coincidentally, not in 2017, but planning for 2018). It is quite easy to travel in Europe. Yes, some don't like the flights, but that is a personal issue. Traveling in Europe is MUCH easier with the Euro as a currency in many countries. The people are very friendly, and not anti-American, in our experience. ATM availability and ease of use makes it so much easier than the old 20 something currencies, and travelers checks system. Rapid transit is superior to most any in the US. I will say Europe is not as cheap as it used to be.

Travel to Australia is a far longer flight for most, and they have a visa requirement. However, it is very easy to get the visa, and after getting it, you can't even tell a difference. Just as easy to travel there, just a longer flight.

As others have mentioned, this is not an attack on America. Rather is is evening the rules, so they are the same both ways. Remember, Europeans have needed to get a visa for the US for quite awhile, but Americans have not been so required.

Plus 1.

Love us or not, American travelers keep the world's tourism industry "in the black ."

That's not even close to factual - thanks to the very low proportion of US citizens with passports and the huge gap in vacation allowance compared to literally every other developed country, your countrymen make up a very small proportion of tourism in Europe - or anywhere else outside Mexico/Canada/Caribbean that has feasible non-passport-requiring travel. Your relatively large population of course helps to bump the figures up, but China is FAR more important to Europe than the US is, and intra-EU tourism vastly more important than everything else put together.

Almost all EU countries have domestic tourism making up by far the largest total % - Spain is the only large-population EU country with over 50% non-resident tourism (even before France plummeted in popularity it had more domestic than foreign tourism). Americans spend approximately 200 million tourist nights in the entire EU annually - about 7% of the >2.8 billion total.

The UK, with a fifth of your population but five weeks guaranteed minimum paid leave, spends over half a billion tourist-nights (1 person paying for accommodations) abroad annually - an average of over 9 days out of the country for every single person in the UK. Thanks to Brexit it's UK tourism that will have by far the biggest potential impact on EU tourist income - far more so than if Americans need visas since Brits spend twice as much tourist time in the EU as Americans.

Of course nobody in the industry wants to see it made more difficult for Americans to come to Europe - and I totally agree that right now it's political gamesmanship. Not mentioned above is the fact that Canada has the exact same issue - but unlike the US we've already agreed to stop doing it, and been given a stay of execution by at least 6 months over the maximum legal timeframe already. Considering that even though Canadians travel abroad over twice as much as Americans we still make up an even tinier % of Euro income, you guys will get even more leeway than we have been given - as long as there is at least some effort made to address EU concerns...

Data pulled from 2015 (2016 not available until April) of the European Commission's official tourism stats.

Edited by martincath
double-spacing!

This isn't anti-Americanism; it is retaliation or repayment in kind for what the US is doing to nationals from certain EU countries. From what I gather, cruisers will not need a visa for EACH country visited; rather a blanket visa (not unlike the ESTA that the US issues) will be needed for the first EU country visited. For us, on this year's cruise, that would be Portugal for our stop in Madeira. Port stops in Spain, France, and Italy would be covered by that one visa.

As others have said, this is unlikely to take effect soon.

i agree it is not intended as anti American but is' tit for ta't :) and i don't blame them, why not?

Well; to OPs question. Most European cruises begin there (unless you do a TA) so if and when this becomes effective you would get the Visa when you fly in. If you do a TA it'll be like any of the many many cruises that go to visa requiring countries and something you'll have to look into when booking.

Honestly don't find this all that offensive. We went to Tanzania recently and US travelers are charged $100 for a visa while the rest of the world only has to pay $50... why? Because we charge Tanzanians more for their US visas... the international world is about reciprocity. I very much doubt if the visa requirement goes into place that it will be more than an extra fee on the cost of the trip. When you are paying thousands for a vacation don't think an extra $10-$50 fee will discourage many travelers.

Edited by sanger727

Well; to OPs question. Most European cruises begin there (unless you do a TA) so if and when this becomes effective you would get the Visa when you fly in. If you do a TA it'll be like any of the many many cruises that go to visa requiring countries and something you'll have to look into when booking.

Honestly don't find this all that offensive. We went to Tanzania recently and US travelers are charged $100 for a visa while the rest of the world only has to pay $50... why? Because we charge Tanzanians more for their US visas... the international world is about reciprocity. I very much doubt if the visa requirement goes into place that it will be more than an extra fee on the cost of the trip. When you are paying thousands for a vacation don't think an extra $10-$50 fee will discourage many travelers.

While this is true the timing of this could be problematic for us. We're scheduled to fly to Germany in June so if the EU does this I hope it is well before that so we have time to obtain the visas (especially since we have to travel to Boston to get them).

While this is true the timing of this could be problematic for us. We're scheduled to fly to Germany in June so if the EU does this I hope it is well before that so we have time to obtain the visas (especially since we have to travel to Boston to get them).

As mentioned above, "the time required" to get the visas is likely going to be something like 15 or 20 minutes on line per person. And that is if they can crank the system up that fast for Americans- you are assuming they won't give some "warning time" to get started. That is a big IF.

As mentioned above, "the time required" to get the visas is likely going to be something like 15 or 20 minutes on line per person. And that is if they can crank the system up that fast for Americans- you are assuming they won't give some "warning time" to get started. That is a big IF.

Everything I've read indicates we have to appear in person to the German Consulate so if you have a link to where they may be obtained online I would appreciate it. I am not panicking yet but I am most definitely watching the issue.

This the EU we are talking about - it will take them years to implement - if (doubtful) it ever happens.

Everything I've read indicates we have to appear in person to the German Consulate so if you have a link to where they may be obtained online I would appreciate it. I am not panicking yet but I am most definitely watching the issue.

There is no link as the system doesn't exist yet!! That is part of the problem.

And this is the EU talking- it will be an EU wide visa.

There is no link as the system doesn't exist yet!! That is part of the problem.

And this is the EU talking- it will be an EU wide visa.

Okay, so it's something planned to go hand in hand with the new visa requirement? I realize it will be an EU wide visa but again everything that I've read indicates that one applies for a visa at the Embassy/Consulate for the country being visited (or the first country being visited if visiting many). Having an online application process will help matters, but I don't think that they need to have that in place to impose the visa requirement. We'll see what happens.

everything that I've read indicates that one applies for a visa at the Embassy/Consulate for the country being visited (or the first country being visited if visiting many).

That's true for most, but there are also a lot of countries that have electronic visas.......I think a couple of dozen countries around the world use that system for visitors (different than visas for workers). I think Australia or NZ was the first.

I seriously doubt that will be necessary. I've gotten visas for Tanzania, Australia, and New Zealand; none of which required a visit to any embassy or consulate. The Australia/New Zealand ones were arranged by my tour provider and the Tanzania one could be obtained ahead of time via mail or in person upon arrival.