Oceania vs. princess

cdn.cruiser

We have cruised on both. We recently booked Oceania for a 12 day Baltic tour. I just saw an ad for princess for an 11 day tour which is pretty much identical but is 1/2 the price for a mid ship balcony. Yes I know the food is better on Oceania, etc. etc. But double the price is a big difference. Doesn't look like Princess ports have to be tendered, which is important to me. I am comparing no flight costs for both. What do you think? Should we switch?

Are you just as happy to stay in Holiday Inn as you would be in a Hyatt?

If so, book the Princess, especially if you are Elite with them.

There is no right universal answer for this - only you know the answer as to which is the best choice for you, especially as you have cruised on both lines :)

Are both itineraries showing stops in St. Petersburg? If so for how long. Also what sort of extras are you getting? OBC's, specialty restaurants, included excursions, gratuities or a booze package. I am on an Oceania cruise in the Baltics and the included shore excursions totaled over $2,000 for 8 excursions.

Are both itineraries showing stops in St. Petersburg? If so for how long. Also what sort of extras are you getting? OBC's, specialty restaurants, included excursions, gratuities or a booze package. I am on an Oceania cruise in the Baltics and the included shore excursions totaled over $2,000 for 8 excursions.

Chapp Chappell, I am interested in knowing which excursions you took. Thank you.

its all about quality of life....on Princess you are but one among thousands and if you enjoy crowds and glitz then go for Princess and are willing to endure the daily sales pitches and dozens of little add ona daily then cool....

Of you want to be with several hundred, and like serenity and and ambiance without the faux glitz and enjoy entertaining your self and enjoying the go with O

To sum it up I quote the inn keeper in Le Miz....."..Nothing gets you nothing...everything has got a little price"

To me I would rather pay a bit more and have an screne experience than to save a few bucks to be part of a a floating city with a catch at every turn... There is a HUGE reason for the price difference O includes everything up front in one price Princess offers a cheap get you on board then make you pay for every thing possible.... your choice stay at a a best Western or choose a 4 season..... your call Chances are if you choose the cheaper come-on fare your will end up paying far more than you might with the other.... PT Barnum coined the phrase a sucker is born ever min...... Think why is there a difference?

O includes extras such as any non alcoholic beverage and specialty restaurants.

Princess has those annoying Photographers and art auctions.

O has a better staff to passenger ratio resulting in better service.

O offers free shuttles in many ports where the ship is not docked near the city centre.

Princess has more entertainment options.

Thank you everyone. I think we will stick to Oceania.

Does Marina go through the Archipelago? Hope it isn't too big.

Marina is not too big. In fact, O has a far superior Baltic itinerary...usually starting or ending in Stockholm on a point to point itinerary. If you go in a few days before or stay a few days after you get adequate time to savor this very special city and are assured of going through the Archipelago.

The Princess workhorse on the Baltic itinerary is the Regal. She can make it through the Archipelago if conditions are perfect. But, this is not assured. In fact, Princess lists the port as Nynashamn...which means a tender and at least an hour journey into Stockholm. From what I have read on the port board, cruisers find out mid cruise whether they have won the weather lottery and they get to port in Stockholm.

It should also be noted that Regal usually runs a R/T itinerary (most cruisers start and finish in Copenhagen) not a point to point, so time in Stockholm is limited. I personally view Regal's issue with Stockholm a "fatal flaw" with regard to itinerary.

Our last mass market cruise was 6 years ago on Grand Princess. We are Elite but had not been on a large ship for some time as we were just over the constant decline in quality we experienced over the years.

We hated it and will NEVER make that mistake again. Crowds, crappy food (MDR food was inedible), cheap bedding, nickel and diming every time we turned around, lousy coffee unless we went to the coffee bar and paid for it, end to end lounge chairs unless we paid $100 for Sanctuary access, MUTS (how obnoxious is this?) and CONSTANTLY pushing us to buy something. Everything we do not enjoy, all wrapped up in one ship.

Marina is not too big. In fact, O has a far superior Baltic itinerary...usually starting or ending in Stockholm on a point to point itinerary.

OP, I'll throw one more complication into the ring when choosing a cruise. If sailing through the Archipelago is important, consider the arrival and departure times. Our trip on Nautica (London to Copenhagen) was the reverse of the August 28, 2017 itinerary. We were scheduled to be in port in Stockholm at 9:00 AM which meant we were transiting the Archipelago very early in the morning. I'm an early riser and I was able to enjoy this amazing part of the cruise, but I suspect there were plenty of cruisers who put a premium on sleep and missed out.

Frankly, I think our early morning sail made the experience even more magical. There was so little traffic on the water that the sea was like glass. We glided so serenely through the gorgeous scenery that the experience was more magic carpet ride than sailing. Very, very special.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

OP, I'll throw one more complication into the ring when choosing a cruise. If sailing through the Archipelago is important, consider the arrival and departure times. Our trip on Nautica (London to Copenhagen) was the reverse of the August 28, 2017 itinerary. We were scheduled to be in port in Stockholm at 9:00 AM which meant we were transiting the Archipelago very early in the morning. I'm an early riser and I was able to enjoy this amazing part of the cruise, but I suspect there were plenty of cruisers who put a premium on sleep and missed out.

Frankly, I think our early morning sail made the experience even more magical. There was so little traffic on the water that the sea was like glass. We glided so serenely through the gorgeous scenery that the experience was more magic carpet ride than sailing. Very, very special.

I agree. My memory of sailing into Stockholm on Nautica was magical! The early morning time on my veranda was one of the most beautiful moments of the entire Baltic cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I agree. My memory of sailing into Stockholm on Nautica was magical! The early morning time on my veranda was one of the most beautiful moments of the entire Baltic cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

+2

early in the morning and gorgeous views, we were the only ship in sight

We are doing a 20 day cruise out of Southampton and some of our excursions are on the first 10 day leg. For the Baltics we are doing Panoramas of Tallin and Scenic Helsinki Harbor Cruise. St Petersburg we will do with either SPB or Alla as the Oceania excursions don't cover nearly enough. I try to do a mix of on our own, ships excursions and private excursions. I also try to intersperse 1/2 day tours with longer days and also try to see something in the am and then decide if I want to continue on in the afternoon on our own. Love the planning and also just winging it.

Marina is not too big. In fact, O has a far superior Baltic itinerary...usually starting or ending in Stockholm on a point to point itinerary. If you go in a few days before or stay a few days after you get adequate time to savor this very special city and are assured of going through the Archipelago.

The Princess workhorse on the Baltic itinerary is the Regal. She can make it through the Archipelago if conditions are perfect. But, this is not assured. In fact, Princess lists the port as Nynashamn...which means a tender and at least an hour journey into Stockholm. From what I have read on the port board, cruisers find out mid cruise whether they have won the weather lottery and they get to port in Stockholm.

It should also be noted that Regal usually runs a R/T itinerary (most cruisers start and finish in Copenhagen) not a point to point, so time in Stockholm is limited. I personally view Regal's issue with Stockholm a "fatal flaw" with regard to itinerary.

We,start in Stockholm and overnight there.

What would you suggest re touring Stockholm? Should we take a ship tour? We have 3 tours each free with Oceania. We were thinking of doing O tours for Stockholm, Copenhagen and Oslo or Helsinki. We will do St. Petersburg with Alla or SPB. We are on the July 8/17

Or July 9 ( can't remember) cruise from Stockholm to Southampton. I am enrolled in the roll call. Most talk is about St. Petersburg. Do you do Stockholm privately? What would you suggest?

Thank you everyone for all the information, we really appreciate your expertise.

Thank you.

Yes, we have joined our Roll Call. Our cruise is July 9/17

Stockholm to Southampton.

It seems a lot of ports are easy diy, however we do want to do 3 O excursions that are not in St. Petersburg since we will be using Alla or SPB there.

Thank you everyone. I think we will stick to Oceania.

Does Marina go through the Archipelago? Hope it isn't too big.

We were on a Marina Baltic cruise August 2015 and just happened to wake up early to see the sun rise over the Stockholm archipelago. What a treat that was! (photo attached)

250343499_Stockholmarchipelago.jpg.16ba8e76696308020bb7b8e4f3890479.jpg

Ah yes, I see your issue now. It's hard to say without digging into the O options on each port and how comfortable you are with DIY's.

Are you flying in the day of the cruise?

You'll have nice sail out through the Archipelago. And, your dates will not coincide with Midsummer celebrations which can make things more difficult in Helsinki and Stockholm.

Thank you.

Yes, we have joined our Roll Call. Our cruise is July 9/17

Stockholm to Southampton.

It seems a lot of ports are easy diy, however we do want to do 3 O excursions that are not in St. Petersburg since we will be using Alla or SPB there.

In that case I would consider O tours in Klaipeda, Gdansk and Warnemunde.