Harmony LIVE, March 11th - 18th. Come Sail Away!!!

To get this rolling let's start with a bit of fun. Here's a video from our Hibachi experience. I wish I had gotten some of Owen but this will work.

I love the guy in the towel in the background. He's taking casual dining to a new level.

3K_vOakktQc

Obviously the main reason we met was about customer and communication breakdown. I also informed Shawn about my other concern which was Star Class expectations and how it relates to their clientele. We have "been here and done it" before Star Class existed and once since the program rolled out.

Even though we were extremely disappointed, I also thought about future Star Class guests and what their response would be if the same happened to them. Star Class is touted to be the best, and it does come at great cost. Not everyone reacts the same. I reiterated that RC needs to ensure consistency (LOL) through their communication to Star Class guests and more importantly to their shore side contracted workers. Some guests would have torn Shawn a new one, minutes after embarking.

Through our conversation Shawn realized that we are relaxed and easy going. However I did point out to him that not everyone is like I us. I did not express any desire for renumeration from the previous day's failures. I only expressed the desire to "air my grievances" in hoping that future guests weren't treated the same as we were.

We needed to air our grievances and by doing it we got that bad funk and ora from the day before off of our backs. It was like a cleansing. Some might have let it eat at them for the entire sailing and there was no way that I was going to do that.

0JR6xt9S02o

We chatted for a few minutes about mutual people that we each knew from the ships over the years. I also asked about his career with RC as we got to know each other a bit more.

One of the last things I said to him was these issues we had were truly first world problems. In the big picture they really are irrelevant. We have great health, live in a great country and are fortunate enough to travel. Could it really get better than that? Yes. Napoleon could be gone we when we enter the Suite door at Terminal 18 this September.

As we finished off the meeting he let me know that if there was anything that we needed, or concerns we were to let him know. I thanked him for his time as well. Shawn said he would check in with me as the cruise proceeded to make sure that all was good.

It was then time for lunch with Owen and some flowriding. Things were definitely rounding the bend and looking up.

For the rest of the cruise our Star Class experience was very similar to our past August one. I think the two trays of plain chips were a little excessive. I would have gladly excepted some Ketchup or Dill Pickle ones. Alexandra and our family found our groove and it was as smooth as the Seas.

I had a good vibe about Shawn, and we had a few chance meetings over the rest of the cruise. I met him at the Helipad sail away and spent a few minutes chatting. I let him know that it had been the perfect day, exactly what we needed.

He had informed me that one of our cruise friends, who is currently the HR Manger on Allure, had communicated with the one on Harmony about sending us a little something. That was a nice surprise to know, which I didn't share with Lisa.

It also made me wonder if he was checking up a bit on the folks that we mutually knew. Whatever the case we were surprised with some cupcakes from our friend a few days later.

One day later in the cruise (the sea day after Falmouth) I dropped Owen off at the kids club and another father was dropping his son off at the same time. We both left at the same time and he randomly asked me if my name was Andrew. I said yes. He asked if I had a few minutes to chat about Star Class comparisons.

We headed down to Central Park and grabbed a couple of drinks. We each related our experiences and talked about our Genies. He really wanted to have a base line comparison and I think it was a worthy conversation.

The discussion turned to embarkation and guess who was grumpy to them as well, our old friend Napoleon. Luggage is definitely his "thing".

a2135abd9c86026663016b7534070100.jpg

I now know of three Star Class Suites out of ten that he told where to go. I have a suspicion that any luggage that came near his door was exiled from his domain.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That video was great! Where was that guy going in his towel. LMAO

We didn't know he was there until we watched the video later. It was Cozumel day and before we sailed, so in reality it was good that he could even walk. ;):')

I hadn't mentioned it earlier but this was Alexandra's last week on board before her vacation. She was headed back to Romania for her holidays and will be returning to Harmony after her vacation. On the last night she met us at dinner and we chatted about disembarkation the next morning.

Alexandra - As you remember I am headed home tomorrow.

Us - That's right. You excited?

Alex - Very much so. Bags are packed.

Us - Awesome.

Alex - Unfortunately because of US customs now all disembarking crew must be off the ship by 8am for a mass crew exit.

In my mind, oh crap, oh crap, oh crap.

Alex - Unfortunately I will have to say good-bye tonight but if there is anything you need this evening please do not hesitate to contact me.

Us - Now how will disembarkation work tomorrow?

Alex - What time do you wish to depart?

Us - 8:30.

Alex - Where do you wish to be picked up, your cabin?

Us - Yes please.

Now if she is off the ship at 8, how will she meet us at 8:30? Alex saw the look of confusion on my face.

Alex - I have a coworker that will meet you then and take you off the ship. His name is Napoleon. :eek:

Me in disbelief - What was his name?

Alex - Cleon, he is a fellow Genie.

Me - Perfect.

We said our goodbyes as she went on her way. She received hand shakes, hugs and an extra thank-you as well. ;) By the end of week we had established a very good relationship and I would he happy to have her as a Genie again. If possible I'd actually request her.

We were still a little apprehensive the next morning but at 8:25 the phone in our cabin rang, it was Cleon. He was checking if we were ready, if so he was on his was to get us. He was knocking on our door within minutes.

As we were getting ready to disembark from the RP and bing off the ship, Shawn the Guest Services Manager was there. I doubt to say goodbye to us trouble makers. I had called him the day before and let him know that things had been very good after our meeting.

I also let him know that I would be writing to RC HQ to let them know about our embarkation day experiences. Also, to let them know about how it had improved along the week. I said that it would give the good along with the bad. Goodbyes and handshakes all around again. He too wished us a safe trip and said that he was looking forward to our return in September. In fact he told me to email before we arrive. I figure he might plan to disembark the same day, or he will personally meet us at the pier. Only time will tell.

With that we were headed down the gangway and we were off to get our luggage. Our Star Class experience had started in a tail spin but had recovered quite nicely by the end.

So this is about it for the review, other than the final scores.

Last fall we rated our Harmony cruise a 6 out of 10 due to bad service in multiple restaurants, otherwise everything else was great.

This cruise after reflecting upon it gets a 6 out of 10 again. The service in the restaurants has done a 100% turn around since November and the shows were just as spectacular. As a family we had an amazing time.

However, as you can suspect, the low grade is due to our embarkation day fiasco. When one is promised a specific product and what you receive is the exact opposite it is a failure. When we did our RC post cruise survey it got the exact same mark.

It was the great crew, shows, ports and time away home that made this cruise. Had things gone better on embarkation day this cruise would have received a solid 8.5 out at of ten.

I have been following along and appreciate all of the detail about your current and prior Star Class experiences. Perhaps one day my wife and I will give it a try but we are quite satisfied with Sky Class and have no need for a Genie or a larger stateroom or any other of the bells and whistles.

I am genuinely curious (this is not sarcasm), even though you gave the last two cruises relatively low scores, you still plan to come back to the Oasis class ships. Can you share your thoughts on why? If I had two 6/10s in a row I would be looking to try something different. Thanks.

So as the sun is about to set on this cruise I will leave you with a few final thoughts.

If I hear anything worth while back from RC HQ I will report back.

Secondly, would any of you consider following a live Power Tour review? What is Power Tour you ask? It is a 7 day road trip hosted by Hot Rod magazine and covers over a thousand plus miles in the week. It starts in Kansas City and ends in Bowling Green KY. It will take me 14 hours to get to the starting point and 9 hours to drive home from the end points. If you are curious to what it is here is some info. http://www.hotrod.com/events/power-tour/# CC has an area where members can post things other than cruising discussions. If I follow through it would be posted in the same area where Trainman hosts his daily adventures. Let me know what you think. If enough of you are interested I might just do it with some scopes along the way. By all means it would be gorilla posting.

Thirdly, our next cruise for those that like our adventures is September 30th. It's another Western Harmony cruise, with hopefully a few friends joining us. It should be an amazing time so long as I can get by the gate keeper.

Lastly and most importantly I'd like to thank-you all for following along. This has taken a bit longer to wrap up than I expected but between work, hockey, and life I got it completed. It's been fun to bring you along with us.

I hope you join us next time.

Andrew

0d137e71cd14d2d5657f6d8b75bdf3f9.jpg

I have been following along and appreciate all of the detail about your current and prior Star Class experiences. Perhaps one day my wife and I will give it a try but we are quite satisfied with Sky Class and have no need for a Genie or a larger stateroom or any other of the bells and whistles.

I am genuinely curious (this is not sarcasm), even though you gave the last two cruises relatively low scores, you still plan to come back to the Oasis class ships. Can you share your thoughts on why? If I had two 6/10s in a row I would be looking to try something different. Thanks.

We love Oasis Class ships. For me a ship with a two flow riders is a must. If you don't ride that comment won't make sense, but if you do you'd understand it's a deal breaker.

All of our upcoming cruises are all currently on Oasis Class. We have September 2017 on Harmony, March 2018 on Harmony, September 2018 Allure, and March 2019 on either Harmony or Symphony (both are booked but we have to choose which one). All but one of these cruises is in our favourite cabin location. We always booked the same cabin prior to Star Class existeing, so we continue to book it. We did enjoy our CLS Sky Class cabin on Harmony last fall. It was very nice.

I understand what you are saying though. Harmony had two low scores for our last two reviews but the areas that produced the low marks were different for both cruises. If we experienced continued issues from the same source we would be changing ships without a shadow of a doubt.

I'm not sure if it makes sense but I hope it helps.

So as the sun is about to set on this cruise I will leave you with a few final thoughts.

If I hear anything worth while back from RC HQ I will report back.

Secondly, would any of you consider following a live Power Tour review? What is Power Tour you ask? It is a 7 day road trip hosted by Hot Rod magazine and covers over a thousand plus miles in the week. It starts in Kansas City and ends in Bowling Green KY. It will take me 14 hours to get to the starting point and 9 hours to drive home from the end points. If you are curious to what it is here is some info. http://www.hotrod.com/events/power-tour/# CC has an area where members can post things other than cruising discussions. If I follow through it would be posted in the same area where Trainman hosts his daily adventures. Let me know what you think. If enough of you are interested I might just do it with some scopes along the way. By all means it would be gorilla posting.

Thirdly, our next cruise for those that like our adventures is September 30th. It's another Western Harmony cruise, with hopefully a few friends joining us. It should be an amazing time so long as I can get by the gate keeper.

Lastly and most importantly I'd like to thank-you all for following along. This has taken a bit longer to wrap up than I expected but between work, hockey, and life I got it completed. It's been fun to bring you along with us.

I hope you join us next time.

Andrew

0d137e71cd14d2d5657f6d8b75bdf3f9.jpg

Thanks for bringing us along, so to speak. Bell enjoyed it so much, she wanted to join the Pink Ladies. She can't wait until you give Oasis another go.

140335b4e8e5881b263a0a9b841e0661.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Andrew, An absolutely amazing and comprehensive multi-media review. With the level of detail your put into your cruise reviews, I am surprised you have time to actually experience the cruise. I have a vision of you either on the Flowriders or in your cabin on your computer. However you do it, it has been a joy to follow your adventures.

One question with regard to disembarkation. With the "Genie substitute" taking you from cabin to customs, how was your luggage handled? In addition to coming to your cabin to walk you off the ship, did the "Genie" also have someone take your bags or did you have to carry them yourselves or did you have to do the evening before put your bags in the hall by 11PM? Will be on Harmony the end of April in Star Class and just planning ahead.

Again, a great review. Appreciate the honest evaluation of the Star Class service and of your Genie. I am a person who writes Corporate following a cruise, usually highlighting the positives and specific members of the crew. I will ensure to include my experiences with the pier side embarkation process. Hopefully, sufficient feedback to Corporate might result in changes and improved initial experiences for those of us fortunate enough to enjoy the Suite Life.

Andrew, Add me to the list of those that really appreciate the time you have put into this review. I've loved all the photos and commentaries along the way. September seems so far off but I'll be there waiting to "join" you on that adventure as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrew, Add me to the list of those that really appreciate the time you have put into this review. I've loved all the photos and commentaries along the way. September seems so far off but I'll be there waiting to "join" you on that adventure as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank-you. I don't think we will be able to fit one in this summer between everything else, but you never know. I could go on a cruise at the drop of a hat.

Andrew,

Hello. I will be in 1724 very soon. Do you know if Alexandra will return from vacation anytime soon?

Lisa and I just chatted about it, and we both think it was 6 weeks. It then would have been 5 last Saturday. Cleon who helped us off the ship seemed like a nice young man as well. Now we only had with us for 10 minutes but he seemed to carry himself in a professional manner.

Thanks so much for this review...truly appreciate your outlook and sense of humor. The way you dealt with the embarkation issues was admirable. And yes...if you do the non-cruise review, please post an update here so we know where to find you!

Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad that you appreciate it, as Lisa doesn't always like it. ;)

As for the road trip I am seriously considering it. It would also be a way for Lisa to see what I am up to during the week. I am doing the road trip solo but between cell phones, nav, and satellite radio you are never really alone. I will keep you posted as it gets sooner.

Thanks for bringing us along, so to speak. Bell enjoyed it so much, she wanted to join the Pink Ladies. She can't wait until you give Oasis another go.

140335b4e8e5881b263a0a9b841e0661.jpg

As always John, she looks great. Give her a scratch behind the ears for me. I might just have to sail on Oasis to make her happy. :)

FYI, still no baby giraffe

I was going to mention it but I didn't want to jinx it with the delayed ending of the review. April just might give birth in April.