On the Dream now and not so dreamy..could

jkneern

Well the dream is not what I expected. Have always loved Carnival but just seems to be going down hill. We boarded Dream on Sunday and boarding was delayed due to a broken gangway. As we sat and waited to board we were told by the staff we could leave and return in maybe 3-4 hrs. We had arrived at 11a for our scheduled check in. The Captains lounge was already at capacity so we were sent to sit closer to the boarding area. They had stopped allowing passangers into the terminal because it was full. At noon time they had announced there were still 700 people left to disembark. Now I could understand if this gangway problem was new but apparently it has happened several times and some of the regular passangers from NOLA were quite vocal. At 3pm there were still several hundred people waiting to board.

We went straight to our cabin when we boarded and although it should have been ready, it wasn't. Toothpaste still in the sink was a complete turn off.

I'll do a review when we get back but so far, it's not good.

This ship just came out of dry dock and it is filthy!!

When we were disembarking from Paradise we were delayed a bit because of technical difficulties with the gangway. I think it was well under an hour delay but it was my first cruise so I don't really know how disembarkation should flow.

That's a bit of a tough critique, considering your only real problem with the ship was that there was toothpaste left in the sink. No offense, but the title was a bit misleading. I have sailed out of New Orleans more than 10 times and have never had a gangway problem.

Good luck!

Gee, unless I'm missing something, doesn't the gangway at the terminal in NOLA belong to the Port and not Carnival, so how does this become Carnival's problem?

Does the sink in the stateroom bathroom belong to the Port, also?

I can understand a bit of frustration with the gangway problem and not being able to board when you are expecting to, but things happen out of their control. I don't think they intentionally like upsetting several hundred people. That is a situation where you just need to go with the flow.

As for the toothpaste in the sink, yes that would be a bit annoying and if I discovered that I would then wonder what else hadn't been cleaned properly.

I do hope the rest of your cruise is better.

We were on the Dream in January and while the ship is very nice, I think I prefer the Conquest/Glory class of ship better.

My friend was on the ship returning to NOLA and said that I man was found dead in his cabin Sunday morning
It was probably the thought of going to work on Monday that killed him. The delayed embarkation would annoy me too as well as a dirty sink.

It sounds like the OP's cabin was not ready due to the delay and honestly.....as a Plat cruiser myself.....people need to get over their entitlement. Good grief! They stated that the cabin was not complete yet. Go with the flow!!! Ha! I am certainly sorry for the families loss but maybe they had to remove the body from OPs cabin and the room steward couldn't get in to get it cleaned up as early as normal as the first ones on the ship are often the most entitled acting. And before I get flamed....I too get the perks. But life is life. And you would never see me let something so trivial even cause me to create a post here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Forums mobile app

I do understand your frustration especially when you plan to get on the ship early and you have to sit and wait. If the gangway issue is a common problem then shame on Carnival or whoever is in charge of it to not pay the money needed to fix it for good.

The toothpaste in the sink is really a non-complaint. You stated that there were several hundreds of passengers waiting to disembark so that would obviously delay the cleanup process. If they told you that your room was ready and you went and saw the toothpaste then you would have a legitimate complaint there.

It sounds like the OP's cabin was not ready due to the delay and honestly.....as a Plat cruiser myself.....people need to get over their entitlement. Good grief! They stated that the cabin was not complete yet. Go with the flow!!! Ha! I am certainly sorry for the families loss but maybe they had to remove the body from OPs cabin and the room steward couldn't get in to get it cleaned up as early as normal as the first ones on the ship are often the most entitled acting. And before I get flamed....I too get the perks. But life is life. And you would never see me let something so trivial even cause me to create a post here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Forums mobile app

Thumbs up. Some will like this post and some will not. I love it and totally agree.

We were delayed getting on the Sunshine last April, So status' and F2F really didn't matter. Our luggage arrived after our friend's who didn't have F2F. But honestly, when the port or authorities have issues, its not Carnival's fault. There were other things on the ship that were highly disappointing that Carnival did have control over. I'm reasonable, I'm willing to overlook that a steward might have been trying to work too fast to get the room turned over after the delay and didn't do a through job. I'm sure you will find that given proper time to clean, they will do a great job. But I also understand being disappointed in a level of experience. I still very much enjoyed my Sunshine cruise because I had great friends to spend it with and letting myself fall into some kind of pity party or negative attitude would only make it all much worse than it probably really was. Actually, we made a little bit of a joke of ourselves with it all. Things like handles on the doors were falling off and my friend almost fell when he leaned on a bar in the elevator and it came off the wall, I've never worked so hard to get a drink on a cruise (now we were right before drydock soooooooo). But anytime something would happen, we'd kind of put it into perspective by saying, "First World Problems."

But I completely sympathize with you on expecting a certain level and not getting it.

Does the sink in the stateroom bathroom belong to the Port, also?

No, but the OP spent 60% of the post ranting on the problems caused by the gangway, and one sentence on the sink. That's my point, which appears to be more important to OP, and which is under Carnival's control?

We were delayed getting on the Sunshine last April, So status' and F2F really didn't matter. Our luggage arrived after our friend's who didn't have F2F.

We experienced this as well on the Sunshine last year. We boarded early w/ F2F, as did some friends who were in a spa suite and are platinum. Neither of our luggage arrived until just before dinner and we were both on the boat around 12:00.

It did freak me out a bit that I thought our luggage was lost or something. But such is life, it showed up and there really is no explanation for it. Sometimes things just don't go as planned.