Next cruise booking taxes - locked in?

Hi,

my TA just told me that when you book a next cruise and you move it to a booking with way less taxes RCI is not refunding the difference in taxes but keeping it?:eek: Sure does not seem right!

We are overpaying the taxes with almost $150 now after moving our booking - so the NC is actually costing us money because we only get $100 OBC!

Anybody any luck in getting RCI to refund the overpaid taxes in some form....I would be OK with OBC!

Thank you for your input!

Our experience has been that if we paid excess taxes, they are automatically credited to our onboard account.

I'm guessing that RC has just implemented yet another way to keep people's money as long as possible.

I have had our taxes stay the same when using a NCC.

For example when booking a cruise 2 years out and the taxes are $100pp and then calling on for a price drop 1 year later and the taxes are now at $120pp they give me the price drop and my taxes stay the same at the $100pp original rate.

Hi,

my TA just told me that when you book a next cruise and you move it to a booking with way less taxes RCI is not refunding the difference in taxes but keeping it?:eek: Sure does not seem right!

We are overpaying the taxes with almost $150 now after moving our booking - so the NC is actually costing us money because we only get $100 OBC!

Anybody any luck in getting RCI to refund the overpaid taxes in some form....I would be OK with OBC!

Thank you for your input!

When transferring an existing booking to a new one, the taxes will be whatever the new cruise is quoting. Sometimes might be more, or as in your case it is less. Your TA will have to have a supervisor correct it. They cannot do it apparently.

Hi

my TA claims RCI is not adjusting taxes on next cruise booking......

I will raise a stink with RCI once we get closed to the final payment.......it is really a lot of difference in taxes in my case....

My TA says it is only on the next cruise bookings where they try to keep the taxes when you transfer to a less taxed cruise....

If they do a OBC I am fine with it but overcharging $150 in taxes is not right!

Then cancel and rebook if it's that much money. That way you will get all the taxes, fees, and port expenses refunded. These are not profits to RCCL. These are passed along to the various port authorities, which I am sure is done at the time of the port call. So if RCCL is keeping all or part of it, which I doubt; can we say "class action."

Now, if you booked with NC and took the instant OBC they are going to keep your deposit if you cancel. I booked with NC in November for October and I had the option to take instant OBC or apply it to the October cruise. They made it real clear if I took the instant OBC and canceled I wouldn't get my refundable deposit back.

Edited by jamesr3939

Hi

I will raise a stink with RCI once we get closed to the final payment.......it is really a lot of difference in taxes in my case....

My TA says it is only on the next cruise bookings where they try to keep the taxes when you transfer to a less taxed cruise....

Have your TA escalate to Resolutions. If the taxes on Cruise #1 are $175 and you change to Cruise #2 where the taxes are $50, they CANNOT just keep your $125. Escalate.

Hi

All I can say is I had the same scenario happen today when I transferred a next cruise booking over to the Symphony. I had to have the taxes adjusted down. When I first booked it wasn't caught so I had to call back to get it rectified when I noticed the difference. The TA had to have a supervisor adjust the booking to reflect the taxes and fees only.

No need for them to keep the extra fees on taxes up front when they can just adjust the booking this far out.

Now this is the US so maybe if you are across the pond it might be different.

I have had our taxes stay the same when using a NCC.

For example when booking a cruise 2 years out and the taxes are $100pp and then calling on for a price drop 1 year later and the taxes are now at $120pp they give me the price drop and my taxes stay the same at the $100pp original rate.

Mine was the opposite. Upcoming Anthem cruise showed a price drop[, while taxes were up by $25 per. LA adjusted the fare but the taxes remained the same.

Same on our Easter '18 family cruise on Allure. Minor price drop, but taxes remained at the original amount. Both cruises were booked via RCL directly and don't know if that makes a difference.

Ps. I've had some minor credits on our account while sailing and identified to tax adj.

Cancelling is not an option as you loose your initial-payment and the NCC when you cancel.

Only if you took the instant OBC when you booked. In my case the reduced deposit was equal to the OBC. I applied the OBC to my future cruise so if I canceled my deposit was refundable.