Explorer and the saga of 'Whistling Windows'

On Explorer now and had the dreaded whistling door problem. I tried the handle twist method and it worked. I only had to listen to the whistling for a few minutes until I figured out where the noise was coming from but even that was too much. Thanks for the suggestion.

Whistling sound prevalent in suite 701. Handle position doesn't help. Butler put up tape around the sliding door seals at night which helped. It was especially bad on the first night at sea, not so the last two nights.

You guys are being much better sports about this than I would be.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This issue is not as widespread as it sounds. We sailed 22 nights without a hint of a whistle (two different suites) but did have the whistle for 14 nights (doors taped so we didn't hear the whistle nor did we know to work with the door handle. I look forward to asking about the replacement seals when we are onboard a week from today. Since I have reported from the Explorer three times in the last 8 months, my postings this time will mainly be about whistles, hogs, and soot:evilsmile:

After reading about Caribbean cruises for the last couple of months, it will be refreshing to have the ship out of that area (and dare I say....... back to having more Regent regulars onboard to make comparisons with other Regent ships). I suspect that the next cruise will bring forth some interesting comments (many Platinum and Titanium's will be onboard). I especially look forward to the report from a poster that I believe is Titanium and has booked a "G" category suite for three people. It will either be the cruise from hell or, hopefully, it will prove to our TA and those of us that are avoiding those suites that they are better suites than we think that they are.

Quick update on doors. We recently disembarked the Explorer in Miami.The whistling in our cabin on deck 8 just about drove us crazy. Every night the stewards were going in and out of all the rooms taping the doors. Someone needs to pass the trick with the handle on to the GM so he can spread the word. We're on the Mariner in October and I can't wait to get back to my favorite ship!

This issue is not as widespread as it sounds. We sailed 22 nights without a hint of a whistle (two different suites) but did have the whistle for 14 nights (doors taped so we didn't hear the whistle nor did we know to work with the door handle. I look forward to asking about the replacement seals when we are onboard a week from today. Since I have reported from the Explorer three times in the last 8 months, my postings this time will mainly be about whistles, hogs, and soot:evilsmile:

After reading about Caribbean cruises for the last couple of months, it will be refreshing to have the ship out of that area (and dare I say....... back to having more Regent regulars onboard to make comparisons with other Regent ships). I suspect that the next cruise will bring forth some interesting comments (many Platinum and Titanium's will be onboard). I especially look forward to the report from a poster that I believe is Titanium and has booked a "G" category suite for three people. It will either be the cruise from hell or, hopefully, it will prove to our TA and those of us that are avoiding those suites that they are better suites than we think that they are.

Mrs Travelcat2

What follows is a bit of a dig at one of your posts I’m afraid. I hope that I have been able to do this politely.

In the relatively short time I have posted on the Regent CC Board I have always found your comments and responses to my posts to be polite, and helpful, for which I thank you.

However - is it not more than a little disrespectful to the various posters to this thread, to suggest that the ‘door whistling’ is just a minor issue ? Of the responses to my original post almost all have acknowledged the problem and most have agreed that there may be some merit, in some cases at least, in the very basic suggestion I have made.

I would be very interested in the objective data that leads you to suggest that the whistling door issue is ‘not as widespread as it sounds’ as you state.

I am also disappointed with your suggestion that the observations of guests that are new to a cruise company have in some way less merit than those that have travelled ‘350 days’ on the ships.

I for one find the ‘fresh’ opinions & reports from new Regent guests, as useful as those from long term guests.

In your recent post you stated –

it will be refreshing to have the ship out of that area (and dare I say....... back to having more Regent regulars onboard to make comparisons with other Regent ships).

My wife and I have travelled to almost 100 countries, by land & sea, often in some very nice properties & ships. In other words we are very experienced travellers, just not on a Regent ship. We were hoping to post our observations regarding our current Regent Explorer Caribbean cruise soon, particularly for the benefit of like minded ‘newbies’. Your comment however does little to encourage this, unintentionally I’m sure.

One further piece of info I have sourced, that is of interest – to me at least. On this particular cruise 40% of the guests are new to Regent. I have no way of knowing factually how this varies by cruise itinerary, but assuming this is typical for Explorer then new customers are clearly very important financially to Regent.

Thank you again for some of the helpful information provided on this board prior to our cruise. I wish you well for your cruise begining on 26th.

machotspur, thank you for taking the time to write that post - it is fine that you don't agree with some of my posts but, even though I just responded and lost the post, I will try again to respond to a few of your comments.

1. I assumed that the whistling doors on the Explorer was not widespread based on our 38 nights onboard the ship. The ship launched in July, 2016 and no one onboard mentioned whistling windows/doors. In fact, the first I heard about it was on the transatlantic cruise and the first time it was mentioned on CC was this year. And, while others may find this a big problem, to us it was a minor issue (they taped the doors in the bedroom and that was that).

2. I do value the comments of people new to Regent, however, it really helps to know what the person's cruising background is. Is the person new to cruising? Do they usually sail on luxury cruise lines or other cruise lines. In other words, are you making a comparison and if so, what is the basis for that comparison? When we sailed Silversea for the first time, I made it clear in my comments that I was a Regent customer. I believe that a person's cruising history is important in terms of how we weigh the comments. (BTW, we did international land travel for 18 years prior to our first Regent cruise and do not find it relevant to our onboard experiences on cruise ships).

I pretty much explained my last post on this thread..... "it will be refreshing to have the ship out of that area (and dare I say....... back to having more Regent regulars onboard to make comparisons with other Regent ships). " That comment speaks to the continuity of the Regent brand. I just found the post that explains my feelings on this subject:

When the ship is 70-80% return guests (which is typically the case), IMO, these cruises are representative of the "Regent Experience". Either a newbie will like it, love it, or not. Soon, the younger passengers are a bit older - are part of the 70-80% return guests and more newbies start trying out Regent and it progresses from there.

Let's compare that to an Alaska cruise where there are 20% (estimate) Regent regulars - lots of families and children (not complaining about children - just stating differences). Again, in my opinion, someone new to Regent could go on an Alaska cruise and believe that all Regent cruises are similar. They have not had the opportunity to learn what a typical Regent experience is. This is really difficult to explain in writing but I'm doing my best. When we travel, we prefer to have more Regent regulars on board. Having said that, if Regent had 20% newbies on each cruise, they would be thrilled and it would not change the "Regent Experience" (note: "Regent Experience" was used in advertising before it was replaced with everything being "Free")

So, targeting Millennials is a good thing and will keep the flow of younger adults coming to Regent. However, I strongly feel that having seasoned Regent customers onboard is necessary for continuity of the brand."

The response to this post on the "Millennial" thread is also interesting.

Part of the beauty of Cruise Critic is different opinions/perspectives. I've learned over the years that two people can have the exact same experience (or meal) and have completely different views. This is likely the case of the whistling doors that we find a minor disturbance while others feel that their cruise was ruined over it. IMO, there is not a right or wrong answer to this.

Edited by Travelcat2

Jackie, I haven't read anything about the Caribbean cruises on the Explorer this winter. I can only speak to the demographic of our cruise on 2/24. We found there were quite a few long time Regent passengers who were anxious to sail on the Explorer, but not anxious to do yet another Med. cruise. Also there were quite a few elderly passengers for whom this was an easy trip with easy flight. We had a platinum/titanium party in the Regent Suite which was wonderful. They had to omit the Gold pax or there would have been too many people.

The consensus seemed to be that albeit a little gaudy, the ship is beautiful. The main complaints seemed to be concerning the staterooms. Aside from the whistling the cabins, we were in an F1 for one cruise and an F2 for another, and the cabin seemed very cramped. If I were much bigger I would have had trouble getting into my side of the bed at night it is so close to the wall. They don't even have two chairs at the little coffee/breakfast table or it would be impossible to move around. The granite in the bathrooms is already becoming badly stained. The recessed cup holders are empty because they break so many thy don't have any more replacements. Those occupying the PH suites were very happy with the layout in their cabins.

One more comment. We had quite a bit of vibration while on the ship which was not limited to the aft portion. When we asked Michael Coughlin about it he laughed and said, Oh yeah! It vibrates!

Hi Kathy, I've been reading various of your posts and am happy to see that you're doing lots of cruising and have several coming up. Wish we were in the same boat!

I want to thank you for writing about the cramped feeling in the F's on Explorer, since I know that you're well familiar with the G's on the other ships. Although I haven't seen the Explorer in the flesh yet-- in all its gilt and marble and crystal, I know for sure that we'd find it far more than just a little gaudy. Great numbers of people seem to enjoy that look, it's just not our cuppa. As many have remarked, it's great that there are choices. Though the Explorer is awfully expensive for us, I'd tentatively booked it for the Norway itinerary in June 2018. I'd kind of thought that if we were satisfied with "G" on Voyager and Mariner (which we sure are!), we'd be more than ok with F on Explorer. What you say-- and I trust it-- makes me realize that in too many ways the Explorer is not the ship for us. Tant pis, because there are some itineraries that sound wonderful (we can't go real "far")

Jackie, I haven't read anything about the Caribbean cruises on the Explorer this winter. I can only speak to the demographic of our cruise on 2/24. We found there were quite a few long time Regent passengers who were anxious to sail on the Explorer, but not anxious to do yet another Med. cruise. Also there were quite a few elderly passengers for whom this was an easy trip with easy flight. We had a platinum/titanium party in the Regent Suite which was wonderful. They had to omit the Gold pax or there would have been too many people.

The consensus seemed to be that albeit a little gaudy, the ship is beautiful. The main complaints seemed to be concerning the staterooms. Aside from the whistling the cabins, we were in an F1 for one cruise and an F2 for another, and the cabin seemed very cramped. If I were much bigger I would have had trouble getting into my side of the bed at night it is so close to the wall. They don't even have two chairs at the little coffee/breakfast table or it would be impossible to move around. The granite in the bathrooms is already becoming badly stained. The recessed cup holders are empty because they break so many thy don't have any more replacements. Those occupying the PH suites were very happy with the layout in their cabins.

One more comment. We had quite a bit of vibration while on the ship which was not limited to the aft portion. When we asked Michael Coughlin about it he laughed and said, Oh yeah! It vibrates!

Hi Kathy - very interesting comments. I read about the granite in the bathrooms becoming stained but have not as yet seen it. I think that what we loved most about the F1 and concierge suites was the bathroom and the amount of storage space. All I remember from our tours of the PH suite was how small the closet was and the "wall" that seemed strange.

In terms of things breaking, it sounds like the builder and suppliers of many items on board have a whole lot of work ahead of them which they likely will complete before the warranty is up. As mentioned back in November, the tables in the Observation Lounge were so bad that if they had been in my home, I would have demanded an immediate replacement (guess it was kinda difficult to do that in the middle of the ocean).

When we board again on Sunday, we will have the same Staff Captain as on our previous cruise and I'll ask him more about the vibration. My sense is that the entire ship has more movement than the Mariner but dramatically less than the Navigator (or the Voyager prior to the recent dry dock). As has always been the case, some people are more affected by vibration than others. Dennis didn't like an aft suite on the Mariner due to some type of "harmonic" sound that he heard at certain speeds (I did not hear anything).

It is good to learn that the Caribbean cruises had a better balance of newbies and seasoned Regent cruisers as it seemed from the posts that there were a lot more people new to Regent than was actually the case. Sometimes I need to remind myself that CC posters represent only 5% of the passengers onboard.

Hoping that some of our "cohorts" will be posting from the Explorer next week. As you know, one of them booked a "G" suite for 3 people (that should be interesting). It seems that quite a few of them have yet to sail on the Explorer. Wish that you and Al would be there. Fingers crossed that we will sail together again in the not too distant future. :wine-glass:

Hi Poss: I always love hearing from you. I think you and I seem a lot alike as far as our desires and expectations from a cruise. Maybe I have become too much of a creature of habit, but I feel so comfortable and at home on Regent's other ships and I just don't get that feeling on the Explorer. We too, are also trying to stay closer to home and looking at itineraries much more closely. Please keep in touch. I would love to know where you are off to next. I don't post very often on here, but our TA would be happy to give you my contact info. Take care!

Jackie: I know you and although you can be critical you will be the first one on a ship to try to take lemons and make them into lemonade. Enjoy your crossing. I wish we could be there with you, but we will be happily playing with our grandchildren.

Edited by Anna B.
Editing to add: Please give John Barron a great big hug from me!

[quote=Travelcat2;

It is good to learn that the Caribbean cruises had a better balance of newbies and seasoned Regent cruisers as it seemed from the posts that there were a lot more people new to Regent than was actually the case. Sometimes I need to remind myself that CC posters represent only 5% of the passengers onboard.

Cruise Critic has certainly become a very well known source of information over the years in the cruise community. I see no way that anyone would have any way of knowing how many passengers read CC. There is also a vast difference between reading CC, joining CC and actually posting a lot on CC. Different boards send out different vibes.

Cruise Critic has certainly become a very well known source of information over the years in the cruise community. I see no way that anyone would have any way of knowing how many passengers read CC. There is also a vast difference between reading CC, joining CC and actually posting a lot on CC. Different boards send out different vibes.

This percentage has been used on CC since before I was a member and no one has challenged it. Based on the number of people that post on CC during a cruise, the number seems to be from 0 - 10 (max). Even Mr. Rumor's much touted (and appreciated) threads do not exceed that number. Again, I am speaking of "posters" rather than CC members on a ship that do not post.

Since I read more than just the Regent board, it seems that luxury cruise lines have the fewest number of posters and mainstream has the most. This makes sense since 5% of 3,000 - 5,000 is significantly greater than 5% of 700. On the general cruise board, there is over one page of active threads per day while Regent, Silversea, Crystal and Seabourn probably have 5-6 active threads at a time (sometimes more - sometimes less). IMO, this has little to do with "vibes" (some boards are much more difficult than the Regent board).

The point of bringing up "5%" was to remind all of us that those of us that post on the Regent board are a tiny percent of the passengers that sail on Regent. So, whether we are complaining or touting Regent, most passengers won't know about it (but Regent does)!

I think it is absolutely wonderful that we can all have our own opinions on Cruise Critic and nobody really knows where the 5% number came from so very long ago. There is no way to know just how many people search and learn on CC vs. those who post a lot..It is what it is!:D

Hi Kathy - very interesting comments. I read about the granite in the bathrooms becoming stained but have not as yet seen it. I think that what we loved most about the F1 and concierge suites was the bathroom and the amount of storage space. All I remember from our tours of the PH suite was how small the closet was and the "wall" that seemed strange.

In terms of things breaking, it sounds like the builder and suppliers of many items on board have a whole lot of work ahead of them which they likely will complete before the warranty is up. As mentioned back in November, the tables in the Observation Lounge were so bad that if they had been in my home, I would have demanded an immediate replacement (guess it was kinda difficult to do that in the middle of the ocean).

It is very easy to blame the shipbuilder and suppliers for the faults on Explorer. However, IMO, the Client must also take responsibility

NCLH & Regent personnel, together with their designers & consultants, will have specified and chosen the fixtures, fittings and finishes; no doubt they also signed them off as satisfactory before accepting the ship

When going on a cruise my contract is with Regent, not the shipbuilder, and I will hold Regent responsible for any faults that hinder my luxury experience...........particularly if they have known about a problem for some months and haven't bothered to fix it

When we board again on Sunday, we will have the same Staff Captain as on our previous cruise and I'll ask him more about the vibration. My sense is that the entire ship has more movement than the Mariner but dramatically less than the Navigator (or the Voyager prior to the recent dry dock). As has always been the case, some people are more affected by vibration than others. Dennis didn't like an aft suite on the Mariner due to some type of "harmonic" sound that he heard at certain speeds (I did not hear anything).

You are quite correct that vibration affects some people more than others

As I reported elsewhere, some passengers were complaining about vibration on Voyager post-refurb even though Regent report that they think the problem is 95% fixed

I do not understand the relevance of the 5% CC Posters, or how this figure is calculated

Having read your subsequent explanatory post, I am sorry to admit that I am even more confused :confused:

It is very easy to blame the shipbuilder and suppliers for the faults on Explorer. However, IMO, the Client must also take responsibility

NCLH & Regent personnel, together with their designers & consultants, will have specified and chosen the fixtures, fittings and finishes; no doubt they also signed them off as satisfactory before accepting the ship

When going on a cruise my contract is with Regent, not the shipbuilder, and I will hold Regent responsible for any faults that hinder my luxury experience...........particularly if they have known about a problem for some months and haven't bothered to fix it

Flossie, I completely agree with the points you raise.

It seems to me that the need for the shipbuilder to bring the ship in on time - thinking of the Channel 5 documentary (PBS in the USA I think) here - there were a few corners cut.

We were on Explorer on 14 Feb and one of the things we noticed were, what looked like, hasty alterations around the windows in Compass Rose.

If you look you will see there are badly matched and quite frankly cheap looking pieces of Formica covered MDF, probably being used to hide the mechanism for sun shades.

Obviously this didn't detract from what, on the whole (lounge hogs excepted), was a really great cruise. But if my builder had installed them in my (NOT the most luxurious ever built) house, they would not still have been there 7 months later...........

My wife and I have travelled to almost 100 countries, by land & sea, often in some very nice properties & ships. In other words we are very experienced travellers, just not on a Regent ship. We were hoping to post our observations regarding our current Regent Explorer Caribbean cruise soon, particularly for the benefit of like minded ‘newbies’. Your comment however does little to encourage this, unintentionally I’m sure.

machotspur,

Please do not be discouraged from posting a comprehensive review of your recent Explorer cruise

A fair, balanced and unbiased review from experienced travellers new to Regent will bring a welcome perspective and will be a useful resource for many who read this Board

Hopefully Regent will prioritise fixing the root cause of the whistling doors, but I will remember your door handle trick for our cruise next month just in case; thanks :)

You are quite correct that vibration affects some people more than others

As I reported elsewhere, some passengers were complaining about vibration on Voyager post-refurb even though Regent report that they think the problem is 95% fixed

I do not understand the relevance of the 5% CC Posters, or how this figure is calculated

Having read your subsequent explanatory post, I am sorry to admit that I am even more confused :confused:

Going from the bottom comment to the top, I read that number on Cruise Critic years ago (and many times since then) - this supposedly represents the number of Cruise Critic members on each cruise. The numbers that I gave is from my observations (how many CC members typically post on the "Live from......." threads). Although a thread may have as many as 30,000 "reads", there are typically less than 10 individual posters that are posting from the ship (not counting replies from those of us posting from somewhere other than the ship). Why does this matter? It probably doesn't except that fewer people are aware of what we discuss on CC than we may think.

In terms of the Explorer, suppliers, the builder, etc. While I don't know what it is like in the U.K., in the U.S. we generally purchase something with a warranty. If the item does not meet the manufacturer's claims, we get a full or partial refund or a replacement of the item. No matter how much research we do, sometimes the item is faulty (this happens all to often with computers for example -- defective even though the manufacturer has a great reputation).

The same is true of when someone is building a new home/office/building. In the U.S. many folks are much more disappointed that they expected to be. We/they pay a heck of lot of money and then something falls apart or doesn't work correctly. Sometimes, at home, the manufacturer may have difficulty obtaining a replacement - it could take weeks. And, after waiting for weeks, the replacement part/item may still not be correct.

So, looking at the Explorer, many items were purchased based on recommendations from designers (top designers - I believe that some were from France). And, Regent paid top dollar for these items - not only because of how they "look" but everything on a cruise ship needs to last a long time - even with 24/7 use. If something fails (like the seals on the doors), it is obviously far different than if a seal on one of our doors at home is faulty. There is a whole ship and that ship is in service all of the time. What Regent may have "signed off" on was the fact that they received what they ordered. The issues obviously were not apparent at the time of delivery or even during installation.

So, while the "buck stops at Regent", it is not necessarily their lack of wanting everything fixed immediately. We do not know how long it takes/took to get the parts -- whether the new seals actually fixed the issue or if they are waiting for an additional fix.

From a passenger standpoint, the only item that I've read/heard about that is a concern is the whistling from the sliding glass doors. In terms of a broken cup holder or hook, this would not ruin a luxury cruisers experience. The Navigator has had more problems that I've ever heard of on a ship in addition to the aft vibration. Being in an aft suite on the Navigator or Voyager has ruined more than one person's vacation. Yet, less people have complained about the other ships than about the Explorer (and many posters have yet to sail on her).

Looking back at our first Voyager cruise (2006), I remember being upset by what appeared to be stains on the carpets. This was a huge issue on that ship and on the Regent board for years (even after they replaced it). The problem was within the carpeting itself - it wasn't dirty - it wasn't defective - it just looked like huge water stains on the carpet. Unfortunately, Radisson/Regent had purchased enough of that carpeting to re-carpet all of the ships several times. And, at that time, we didn't have a parent company with the money to discard the existing carpeting and purchase something without the inherent problems (the company was privately owned).

The Mariner had a severe waste/bathroom odor problem around 3-5 years ago. It was gagging. You could smell it in the hallways on some decks and outside of the Coffee Connection. They had multiple people come onboard to fix it but it was much more complicated than it was thought to be. It took a long time before that issue was finally fixed.

Sorry that this is so long but I'm finding the negativity towards the Explorer a bit over the top and feel the need to give "the other side of the story".

We have enjoyed all of our Regent cruises (except for one and it wasn't related to the ship). Do I find Regent to be luxury? Yes! Do I think that it is perfect? No! IMO, no one or anything is perfect. No one can convince me that the Explorer is not the "most luxurious cruise ship ever built" (but I do not expect people to agree with me -- everyone has their favorites).

I can't resist asking. How will you hold Regent responsible for something that may not be working correctly in your suite when you board next month? I ask this because the U.K. has some consumer protection laws that are unheard of in North America. Could you receive compensation if, for instance, there was whistling in your suite?

Edited by Travelcat2

Machotspur just wanted to thank you for your post today re the whistling windows. All your posts and reports have been well balanced and fair and valuable to all us folks due to sail on explorer in near future. You are the hero of the moment with the temporary fix for this onboard problem. Thanks, Jean.

I am starting to organize items to pack as we, too, board the Explorer this Sunday. Am thinking of bringing along my own roll of tape for the whistlers just in case the door handle options doesn't work in our suite.

Also for those on board now...who is the musical duo at this time?

See y'all on board.

Kwaj girl (and Kwaj boy)

aka Sandy & Dana