Jet Skiers have close call with Carnival Magic

tidecat

How are the jet skiers at fault? The story says someone fell off, then the jet ski flipped over, as they were trying to get it flip back over they where pulled into the path of the ship. It seems like they where not in the path of the cruise ship originally

News said they were seventeen years old and from out of state. Most likely spring breakers with rented jet skis. Seems most likely inexperience was the issue. Might find fault with riding a jet ski in the main channel with a cruise ship even in motion in the area. Glad everyone could live on and be thankful.

How are the jet skiers at fault? The story says someone fell off, then the jet ski flipped over, as they were trying to get it flip back over they where pulled into the path of the ship. It seems like they where not in the path of the cruise ship originally

Definitely the jet skiers fault, although unintentional - most likely due to inexperience and ignorance of the rules.

The pilot boat noticed them in the channel and called the sheriff's marine unit. The sheriff made his way towards them when one of the passengers fell off doing who knows what and then flipped the PWC when she tried to get back on.

it was today

that is just crazy why would you jet ski so close to a cruise ship

It doesn't appear they were intentionally riding near the cruise ship. It was a couple of ladies, most likely on a rented ski, who fell off while either going out or coming back into the cut. By the time they were rescued, the ship was there on top of them. The ski was upside down as you can see, and the ladies were probably just hanging on to it without knowing what to do.

I'm not sure this is a case of people recklessly riding around a cruise ship.

Now if you want to see an actual idiot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F04RcHLmiSw

It doesn't appear they were intentionally riding near the cruise ship. It was a couple of ladies, most likely on a rented ski, who fell off while either going out or coming back into the cut. By the time they were rescued, the ship was there on top of them. The ski was upside down as you can see, and the ladies were probably just hanging on to it without knowing what to do.

I'm not sure this is a case of people recklessly riding around a cruise ship.

Now if you want to see an actual idiot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F04RcHLmiSw

Good God...how do some people get through life (the Youtube video)? I agree the gals were in the wrong place at the wrong time accidently. I'm just glad they hung on to the jet ski, that the pilot saw them in time and the Brevard County Sheriff's deputy kept his cool. I hope they took him out for beers later!

They were navigating their watercraft in an active shipping channel and not following the rules of the road. I doubt that these kids even realize that there ARE rules of the road on the water.

Had the ship run aground or damaged a propeller on an underwater obstruction, the jetskiers could have been sued for the repair costs.

Elsewhere in this thread, someone brought up the similar situation of cars trying to beat trains at grade crossings. I've read of cases, in which drivers escaped death or injury, while their cars were hit by the locomotive. A car can be pulled under the locomotive and damage the traction motors on the axles. Those things cost something like $50k apiece. Most locos these days have one per axle.

I've been on several cruises out of Port Everglades and other ports. There is always someone in a jetski of small outboard boat, zipping back and forth in front of the ship. They are usually so close that there is no way the pilot can see them when they pass under the bow overhang.

They were navigating their watercraft in an active shipping channel and not following the rules of the road.

The report I read was that they tipped out and then drifted into the channel?

I've never seen a jetski invert and stay inverted like that - usually they self-right.

They were navigating their watercraft in an active shipping channel and not following the rules of the road. I doubt that these kids even realize that there ARE rules of the road on the water.

Me too. Nor someone knowledgeable on that was with them.

I've never seen a jetski invert and stay inverted like that - usually they self-right.

Shows their inexperience. Again, they should be ever thankful for the quick actions of the deputy and the harbor pilot.

Had the ship run aground or damaged a propeller on an underwater obstruction, the jetskiers could have been sued for the repair costs.

Elsewhere in this thread, someone brought up the similar situation of cars trying to beat trains at grade crossings. I've read of cases, in which drivers escaped death or injury, while their cars were hit by the locomotive. A car can be pulled under the locomotive and damage the traction motors on the axles. Those things cost something like $50k apiece. Most locos these days have one per axle.

I've been on several cruises out of Port Everglades and other ports. There is always someone in a jetski of small outboard boat, zipping back and forth in front of the ship. They are usually so close that there is no way the pilot can see them when they pass under the bow overhang.

Did we watch the same video? Which "rules of the road" did these "kids" violate?

This seems most likely from looking at the video.

Got to love the experts here who seem to know that these girls were just reckless and looking to destroy cruise ships and kill themselves.

Operating in the channel is something you have to do on a watercraft, just like any other boat... it's the channel. Accidents happen. Heck, I almost got thrown from my ski in government cut (Miami). No cruise ships were coming out at the time, but it happens. The cuts can be extremely rough, unpredictable large waves, etc. And you have to operate around other traffic which includes container ships and cruise ships sometimes. This was an accident and I don't believe any of us have seen a video that shows what they were doing when they ended up in the water/flipped the ski.

I'd like go see them banned a greater distance from ship traffic.

At least down here in Miami/Fort Lauderdale - you don't really see skis riding around ship traffic anymore. It's a non-issue.

And you did watch the video, right? You know, they were incapacitated and hanging on to an upside down ski. You act as though they swam the flipped over jet ski to the oncoming cruise ship. What law do you expect would solve the problem of people floating helplessly in the water after an accident other than a ban on boating?

At least down here in Miami/Fort Lauderdale - you don't really see skis riding around ship traffic anymore. It's a non-issue.

And you did watch the video, right? You know, they were incapacitated and hanging on to an upside down ski. You act as though they swam the flipped over jet ski to the oncoming cruise ship. What law do you expect would solve the problem of people floating helplessly in the water after an accident other than a ban on boating?

You want to stir the pot on half my posts. Cast your lure at someone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Watched a cigarette boat play chicken with Brilliance on our way out. He was running up down during our Muster and took off to meet us to play before the bridge.

Those engines are usually notoriously known for quitting. What an idiot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk