Jet Skiers have close call with Carnival Magic

tidecat

The Canaveral Pilots Association blog has a post about the incident:

http://canaveralpilots.com/quick-action-by-pilot-and-marine-unit-deputy-saves-lives/

Sent from my eye phone using Forums FFS

Thanks for this. I love it when the facts come out and good to know the Captain of the Magic won't be in "hot water." I think the sheriff's deputy did an outstanding job getting these people out of the water and thankful the pilot was able to sight them in time. Great teamwork by all involved.

All controversy aside, thanks again to Chengkp75 for continuing to be our resident mariner! I always feel like we've gotten a bit more insight into how things work on the water when you've weighed in!

To all other posters, I agree that these folks were lucky although I can see how it could happen quickly and without intention. I hope they learned a valuable lesson- playing chicken with a cruise ship and you'll lose... every time!

Yes, the first problem is whether or not the Sheriff's boat declared an emergency or not, as this would be the only instance where it had the right of way, but the rules also get a bit sticky when you consider that the cruise ship is a deep draft vessel constrained by the channel, which gives it right of way as well.

Can you tell from the video that the ship was "accelerating towards the sheriff's boat", or whether it had reached the desired speed for the channel, or whether it was slowing down because of the boat? I sure can't from that video. And even if the Magic was doing only 4-5 knots, (and from some rough estimating using the size of the boat for speed, it looks like 2-3 knots) if you think they could have stopped the ship in 40 seconds, you haven't driven a large ship. Even an emergency stop at 4-5 knots will take about 3-4 ship lengths (1800-2400 feet, and 1-2 minutes).

You also have to realize that there is a great cross current at this point just outside the jetties where the Gulf Stream and its countercurrent take over, so that the vessel needs to maintain some speed to remain in the channel.

I always learn something from your posts, thanks.

And thanks to tidecat for posting the links to the facts - that the ship and sheriff were in contact and that there were two officers on the sheriff's boat. What awesome life-saving teamwork and I hope the girls see the video and have a new appreciation for life.

(and, an honorable mention to jeepsomething for the chuckle)

Edited by IntrepidFromDC
incomplete

Magic had plenty of time to shut it down too.. seeing a water rescue in progress ahead of you and kept going right towards the sheriffs boat was a bad move on the Magics captains part.

Ummm.....just no. That isn't even the case for a large boat, certainly not a cruise ship.

The Canaveral Pilots Association blog has a post about the incident:

http://canaveralpilots.com/quick-action-by-pilot-and-marine-unit-deputy-saves-lives/

Sent from my eye phone using Forums FFS

So, it was obviously not as close as the video showed, just like the video of the Celebrity ship turning in Lauderdale, as the pilot was completely aware of the situation, and had actually initiated the response.

All controversy aside, thanks again to Chengkp75 for continuing to be our resident mariner! I always feel like we've gotten a bit more insight into how things work on the water when you've weighed in!

To all other posters, I agree that these folks were lucky although I can see how it could happen quickly and without intention. I hope they learned a valuable lesson- playing chicken with a cruise ship and you'll lose... every time!

Much like those idiots (who years ago) thought they could make a 'game' of it and get across a marked railway crossing before a speeding train :eek: SOME made it, but.. You guessed it, a few didn't. :rolleyes: I know the train's crew must have had a sick, helpless feeling . HOW could you stop a speeding train in less than fifty feet ? You can't. I was a CSI deputy and personally saw the result when a man was struck by a speeding train. It wasn't pretty. KUDOS, to BOTH ship's bridge and the Deputy in the Sheriff's boat, both would be the first to say, ' It's MY job, I was just doing what people expect, it's all in a day's work'. But, you always have 'second guessers' those who have days and who have the luxury of sitting safely BEHIND their screens saying, 'Well, WHY didn't 'they' do so and so?' Hmmmmmm..?

Mac

I grew up around boats from small 14' fishing boats to a 35' boat we restored and had for years. Before I was ever allowed behind the wheel of any of them (or in front of the outboard on the small ones) I had to take a boaters safety course, take the test and get certified. It was done not just for the safety of myself but also the safety of the others out there. I to this day (MANY years later) still think about the lessons taught to me, I've owned Jet Skis and the like in my life and always knew BIG BOAT WINS.

I'm glad the harbor pilot and the sheriff where both on their game and were able to work to get these two out of harm, I know many are intrigued by the size and beauty of these ships but they also need to be aware of the wake, current and other things created by these massive ships and that they are not easy to maneuver especially in a very limited size area. Give them the right of way and stay out of the way.

As I said though I'm glad everyone was alright and these two running the boats (pilot/sheriff) deserve a huge pat on the back.

Brown and Tanner are very desiring in being called "heros". It's difficult to tell if the jet skiers were "playing chicken " or if when they went overboard, they were swept up in the currents as it looked like the sheriff's boat was drifting toward the cruise ship, but that could have been the angle of the camera view. So I wouldn't be placing "blame" on anyone in the mix. 50 yards either side of the channel and this rescue would have been a non-event.

Brown and Tanner are very desiring in being called "heros". It's difficult to tell if the jet skiers were "playing chicken " or if when they went overboard, they were swept up in the currents as it looked like the sheriff's boat was drifting toward the cruise ship, but that could have been the angle of the camera view. So I wouldn't be placing "blame" on anyone in the mix. 50 yards either side of the channel and this rescue would have been a non-event.

Two college Spring Breakers - don't think they were playing chicken, more likely just being dumb kids.....

I don't think the two in the water had a clue how much danger they were in. The second one still in water was just waiting to be pulled in instead of at least moving toward the end of the rescue boat. I hope they had to pay for the removal of the jet ski. I see them pacing along side ships and having to be warned off by the Coast Guard every time. The Coasties needs to use the bull horn to warn small craft to stop trying to cross in front and still needed to head them off.

That deputy was a real hero in stopping those idiots from winning a Darwin Award. Thanks to chengkp75 for another informative, polite post. And I can't be the only one who sees the irony in an ignorant, judgemental post about the captain of the ship, followed shortly by the same poster's castigating others for alleged "judgement".

Just curious, if the jet skiers are at fault (don't know if that was stated/made official or not) is there any type of punishment? I have no nautical experience and was just wondering what the rules or penalties are, if any.

Also, I know things seem close because of the angle we are seeing, but i wonder if they got that jet ski back (i believe that was it upside down on the side of the Sheriff's boat).

Just curious, if the jet skiers are at fault (don't know if that was stated/made official or not) is there any type of punishment? I have no nautical experience and was just wondering what the rules or penalties are, if any.

Also, I know things seem close because of the angle we are seeing, but i wonder if they got that jet ski back (i believe that was it upside down on the side of the Sheriff's boat).

Yes, the jet skiers were at fault. The rules of the road state that when a vessel that is not limited by its draft crosses a demarked navigation channel, it must be done at right angles and as quickly as possible. But, then again, as with most operators of jet skis, these most likely don't have the slightest idea of the rules of the road. As for penalties, there won't be any, it just falls on good people like the Sheriff's deputy to save the idiots from themselves.

Yes, things were not as close as it seemed, as the Sheriff's boat was not tossed away by a bow wake from the ship, and the jet ski would also have been tossed aside.

While the deputy was definitely doing a fine job in making the rescue, the girls were really in no mortal danger. Since the pilot on the Magic was aware of them, and most likely had a better view than the person taking the video, if the girls hadn't made it into the boat he would have stopped the propellers, and the girls would have been bounced along the side of the ship, but not sucked under by the props.

where in god's name do these people get their brains, or did they miss out entirely.

posts about unstopping cruise ships, uncaring captains, etc. etc. are too stupid to be believed. that ship was UNSTOPPABLE, got it? end of discussion.

people out there playing chicken with a cruise ship, I hope they are billed for the rescue and unable to hit the big pocket for their stupidity..

I can't stand the ignorant stupidity of the jetskiers or the stupidity of these posters.

Yes, the jet skiers were at fault. The rules of the road state that when a vessel that is not limited by its draft crosses a demarked navigation channel, it must be done at right angles and as quickly as possible. But, then again, as with most operators of jet skis, these most likely don't have the slightest idea of the rules of the road. As for penalties, there won't be any, it just falls on good people like the Sheriff's deputy to save the idiots from themselves.

Yes, things were not as close as it seemed, as the Sheriff's boat was not tossed away by a bow wake from the ship, and the jet ski would also have been tossed aside.

While the deputy was definitely doing a fine job in making the rescue, the girls were really in no mortal danger. Since the pilot on the Magic was aware of them, and most likely had a better view than the person taking the video, if the girls hadn't made it into the boat he would have stopped the propellers, and the girls would have been bounced along the side of the ship, but not sucked under by the props.

thanks for the clarification.