Odd laundry situation on Sirena

vlthom

Not so terrible, Toranut ... the point is that NOW all ships are using tokens. There were some brief moments in time when a couple of the ships used quarters ... :halo:

Mura

LOL! You are telling me there are people on these cruises who actually DO their own laundry? How Carnival:D:D:D

You will find that although there are many people with quite a bit of spendable income that cruise on Oceania many of us tend to be on the frugal side and try not to spend money needlessly. On cruises over a couple of weeks I usually do a load or two. It's no big deal.

LOL! You are telling me there are people on these cruises who actually DO their own laundry? How Carnival:D:D:D

We're finding ourselves opting more often for longer cruises and use a combo of ship's and self-serve laundry (based usually on a seven day stock of mix/match clothing).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

JimandStan,

they have tokens now but only give them out on the day you want to do laundry. You can't "pre-order".

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not so

You can get tokens at reception

Limit 4

No requirement to do laundry same day

And how would they know if you did??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Indeed, how would they know? But four is reasonable. I normally do two washes and two dries when I finally get around to doing laundry (one cold water, one permanent press). I don't try to stock up ahead of time anyway because I'd just lose the token.

Mura

You will find that although there are many people with quite a bit of spendable income that cruise on Oceania many of us tend to be on the frugal side and try not to spend money needlessly. On cruises over a couple of weeks I usually do a load or two. It's no big deal.

Holland America last year had a laundry option for $7.00 a day per cabin -- all days of cruise so about $140 if I remember correctly. I really liked the service and every thing usually came out very well. Otherwise I also do a mixture of hand washables (bras/compression stockings), laundry room (shirts/some pants/underwear socks) and send out (hubby's pants ironed/dress shirts/blouses/ long dresses (to hide the compression stockings) ) Pretty much we take the same amount of stuff for 7 day as for 40 day trip. This coming trip in 2 weeks will be challenging -- HOT for all 20 days of cruise and 10 days pre and post (India/viet Nam/UAE/ Burma). Using trash bags (Glad flex force tall with Frebreeze) keeps the clothes from smelling. Cabin does not have a smell proof place to stash dirty laundry. If you each have your plastic laundry bag then can throw it in the bag which brought it. No shifting of weight when repacking.

JimandStan,

they have tokens now but only give them out on the day you want to do laundry. You can't "pre-order".

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Probably because on most long trips the laundry breaks down -- those laundry machines are very popular. The laundry room is as good as the bar for meeting really interesting folks who have been literally everywhere. Very democratic -- on one Oceania Cruise Dottie the Cruise Director went and got a new iron (and then asked to be the first to use it (check it out for us). Some of my best stories are laundry in nature -- the quest for laundry machine really lets you get to know a place.

• 5 weeks later...

With the ever increasing cost of doing a load of wash in a laundromat it was only a matter of time until they started installing credit card readers on the laundry machines. Perhaps we will be seeing machines that require sea pass cards?

http://www.coinmach.com/our-technology/?gclid=CMz_j5r9rdMCFQlehgodbGgHww

We bring extremely light weight quick dry clothes on cruises. Guess it comes from the old days as backpackers. Hiking pants, golf pants and polo shirts for my husband, quick dry tops, skirts and pants for me, quick dry undies for both. Not so fashionable maybe but everything washes in the sink, stomp on it inside extra thick Oceania towels, hang and go have a glass of wine.

pack correctly, and you wont have a problem... I dont care a hoot who does my laundry, as it allows me the bonus of free time. Having endured the "plesant" personalities in the laundry fighting for a machine, dumping anothers our to get theirs in... its not a rose garden. Cudos to those that fine warm fuzzy friendly people in their.... Most I have observed have the temperament of of Charlie Manson

I reiterate pack well, do some things in the cabin but I avoid the waste of time, hours really if you put a stop watch on everything you have to do /endure ....rather simple and cost effective send it out...., not that much more. You can always get more money...you can never buy back time you wasted or spent. on your cruise... your call your choice on how you spend either.... is it worth it?

Some of us think so, Dan. You don't, which is your right.

Then again, I for one don't spend hours in the laundry room. I have no more than two loads at a time. I put them in the machine at an hour when I can get a machine or two NOW. I come back five minutes before the wash is down and put it in the dryer. I come back again in time to fold it. It's not a huge waste of time for me.

I have read about the Dragon Ladies of the Laundry Room and heard of unpleasant "others", but I personally have never encountered them. That goes back to my first Renaissance cruise in October 1999.

Mura

Mura

So if I might ask, just how expensive is it to have a laundry bag full of regular day-to-day clothes sent out to be done? Are TA gives us a bunch of OBC and we plan to allot about $40 - $50 per bag. Is that a reasonable estimate?

Only longer cruises (over 14 days I think) have a bag special 20 items for $25 or close to that amount

You pay by the item so depends on what you are sending out

If you can stand using the laundry room it is $2 for a load to wash & $2 per load to dry ...soap is included

found an old listing with prices ..gives you an idea at least

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=27238677&postcount=3

Edited by LHT28

Only longer cruises (over 14 days I think) have a bag special 20 items for $25 or close to that amount

You pay by the item so depends on what you are sending out

If you can stand using the laundry room it is $2 for a load to wash & $2 per load to dry ...soap is included

found an old listing with prices ..gives you an idea at least

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=27238677&postcount=3

We did the transatlantic on Riviera 3/26 - 4/9. 14 days, the $25 per 20 item bag deal was offered twice.

Donna

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk