$7.95 Room Service Charge

Maybe someone out there who's smarter than I am can explain it, but why not just raise fares by a few bucks? Given that the fares are dynamic, with various sales and freebies thrown in at various times, would people really notice or care if, unbeknownst to them, RCI had increased the fare $15 per person for a 7 day sailing (or, better yet, raised the fares progressively, so that suites paid more of the additional fare). That way the increased $ is "baked in" and not avoidable (like raising grats or charging for RS) and you simultaneously avoid these annoying claw-backs.

When we booked our last cruise with NCL, they offered the free drink package. Then they honored a $200 per person price drop. Then they implemented the RS fee.

The local Macys in my town is going out of business. The other day we were in there and they had this stuff stacked up and they were selling it for 70% off. I pulled out my phone and checked the price for the items. Macy's sold those on line for the same price they were selling them at my closing store after the 70% off. People were buying this stuff like there was no tomorrow. people will pay the $7.95 because it is convenient. The sad part is there are lines of plates sitting in the hall with tons of wasted food. I am pretty sure the cost of the wasted food and disposal played into this decision. Then again, they could have just said, "If we charge it, they will pay".

I just read a thread on the Carnival board confirming that the is no charge for room service.
Is your sole purpose on this thread to act as RCL's PR??? I certainly hope they are paying you lol.
How does confirming that the is no charge for room service on another cruise line do that? Wouldn't that be something RCL wouldn't want to spread around?

Regrettably, I'm clearly not understanding what you're trying to say.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

How does confirming that the is no charge for room service on another cruise line do that? Wouldn't that be something RCL wouldn't want to spread around?

Regrettably, I'm clearly not understanding what you're trying to say.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Please go back and re-read my post. That was not the message I quoted.

Is your sole purpose on this thread to act as RCL's PR??? I certainly hope they are paying you lol.

His sole purpose is to be a devil's advocate.

In the process he tends to come off as condescending and superior.

The poster makes valid points if you get past the condescension.

WOW - nearly 600 posts about a $7.95 charge for something outside base room service menu items. :eek:

It's almost hilarious to see many hundreds of posts discussing the good idea and value of spending hundreds of dollars on alcoholic drink packages...and at the same site...a number of others all knotted up about this topic.

Not hilarious... There is a complaint at present on Facebook from a lady who says they wouldn't honor a price drop on her cruise, but now feel no qualms about charging her for room service after she booked with the understanding it was complimentary. She is sharing with her mother who has difficulty getting around, particularly in the morning, so room service breakfast was a perk they were counting on... Double Standard.

Wow. Unless Carnival follows suit, they might be getting more of my cruise $$$.

A couple of years ago Princess decided to start charging for room service. After being deluged with disgruntled passengers complaints, they canceled it. AFAIK it has never surfaced again. I don't think Celebrity charge either.

There are choices other than RCCL although they seem to think this is something we are just going to have to tolerate , like we have no choice, if we want to cruise..

This is why I choose to sail with carnival over royal. Not solely because I get free room service lol (that would sound like I'm snobby), but that carnival charges less and provides more. I don't see why royal would cut this freebie considering their cruise prices are quite a bit higher than their direct competition

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I also sail mostly with Carnival. I can enjoy reading at the pool, going to an art auction, playing bingo, doing a craft project. But my DH was getting sick of cruising (I can't allow that to happen b/c I love to cruise) because he is bored on the ship. So the compromise was RCI anthem. I figure there is enough going on to keep him happy and I can't wait to do some of the activities as well. I'm not sure about the flow rider as I will probably get thrown off and break something. Also not sure about rock climbing wall as my bout of shingles 2 years ago left me weak and I never fully recovered my strength. (Do they boo you if you attempt it but can't make it up)? But Ifly, northstar, bumper cars, roller skating, puzzle room etc seem like fun. And since we live in NY no airfare. The bad: When we booked in August there was still dynamic dining and free room service. We knew about dynamic dining being gone after I was confused about how to book restaurants before final payment. But since I sail Anthem on 4/2/17 (the first sailing with pay for RS) I'm not happy with the roll out. They should have introduced it and then went at least 90 days out so those of us that already paid still are getting what we paid for. It just seems they have no regard for paid in full passengers. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Have to see how we like RCI to see if we will keep the booking for Allure this summer or go back to Carnival. All these changes are not leaving a good impression. If we find it difficult to find a seat in the WJ for breakfast that will be an issue and I'm afraid that the WJ will be crazy busy as people will not want to spring for the 7.95. Will just have to wait and see. I'm not going to let it ruin my vacation.

If this post is still active when I return will post about my experiences with pay for RS and WJ.

200_s.gif

is it almost that time?

But I haven't published the post count yet. :eek:

Biker19 - 30

emdia43 - 24

bUU - 24

Merion_Mom - 18

clarea - 17

LMaxwell - 16

Ocean Boy - 13

rimmit - 13

setsail - 11

famof4togo - 10

I didn't even make the top 10 :halo:

Edited by John&LaLa

I also sail mostly with Carnival. I can enjoy reading at the pool, going to an art auction, playing bingo, doing a craft project. But my DH was getting sick of cruising (I can't allow that to happen b/c I love to cruise) because he is bored on the ship. So the compromise was RCI anthem. I figure there is enough going on to keep him happy and I can't wait to do some of the activities as well. I'm not sure about the flow rider as I will probably get thrown off and break something. Also not sure about rock climbing wall as my bout of shingles 2 years ago left me weak and I never fully recovered my strength. (Do they boo you if you attempt it but can't make it up)? But Ifly, northstar, bumper cars, roller skating, puzzle room etc seem like fun. And since we live in NY no airfare. The bad: When we booked in August there was still dynamic dining and free room service. We knew about dynamic dining being gone after I was confused about how to book restaurants before final payment. But since I sail Anthem on 4/2/17 (the first sailing with pay for RS) I'm not happy with the roll out. They should have introduced it and then went at least 90 days out so those of us that already paid still are getting what we paid for. It just seems they have no regard for paid in full passengers. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Have to see how we like RCI to see if we will keep the booking for Allure this summer or go back to Carnival. All these changes are not leaving a good impression. If we find it difficult to find a seat in the WJ for breakfast that will be an issue and I'm afraid that the WJ will be crazy busy as people will not want to spring for the 7.95. Will just have to wait and see. I'm not going to let it ruin my vacation.

If this post is still active when I return will post about my experiences with pay for RS and WJ.

I've never sailed Anthem, but I am pretty sure they have been charging for an upgraded RS for quite some time now. You out there Carol?

Feel free to start a new thread and report about your cruise. :)

I've never sailed Anthem, but I am pretty sure they have been charging for an upgraded RS for quite some time now. You out there Carol?

Yes, and I have posted the menus many times. (Others have also) :)

The pricing on Anthem is a la carte for many items. Delivery Fee between midnight and 5-ish a.m.