$7.95 Room Service Charge

Here's a gotcha to watch out for, especially if you're cruising solo...

I got a stomach illness on NCL (which does have the room service charge). They waived the room service charge while I was in quarantine, but they also freeze the onboard accounts of people who are quarantined (to try to keep them from roaming around sick, I guess).

Here's the catch-22: when I came out of quarantine, I was still too ill to leave the room. But my onboard account was still frozen and they said I had to go to the front desk to open it back up. (No way could I have walked to the front desk.) In the meantime, room service couldn't deliver me water and plain toast (this was outside of breakfast hours) because they couldn't charge my onboard account.

Here is my note to RCL will let everyone know how it goes:

I have been reading about the room service change and how it will be impacting my cruise later in the year. Can I pretend to be upset about the change and get an Onboard credit so to calm my made up anger about this change?

Yes the all inclusive part of cruising is going away but I can remember back in 2004 the 1st time we went on a Voyager class ship, we paid $549 for a promenade stateroom in October. Guess what, 13 years later I can still find a pr stateroom for $549. Do you remember what a gallon of gas cost back then? Maybe milk? Ya they are adding on some charges we were not accustomed too, but cruise pricing as a whole has not inflated very much, if at all.

Well according to an online inflation calculator, the $549 in 2004 would be $707.98 today, so the cruise is "cheaper" by $158.98. But I think the upcharges compared to what they were back then add up to more than that, not to mention the drink prices, loss of services, worse food quality, etc.

There is no question in my mind that the value is less today. But I still like it.

You are trying to live or revive the past - not going to happen - that ship has sailed. Mainstream (including the ones you categorize as Premium - apparently you fell for the marketing tag line) stopped being all inclusive 10+ years ago. Egalitarian? When was that?:o

The categorization is not made by me but by the industry itself. Celebrity, Princess and HAL are understood to be in the Premium segment.

RCCL, NCL and Carnival on the other hand are in the Contemporary segment.

Admittedly that line which used to be a lot more distinct ... that line is blurring.

RCCL, NCL and Carnival on the other hand are in the Contemporary segment.

I note with humor that one of those "contemporary" cruise lines often charges significantly less than its competitors for cruise fare...and yet, still offers complimentary room service at all hours, regardless of the time of day. :)

Well according to an online inflation calculator, the $549 in 2004 would be $707.98 today, so the cruise is "cheaper" by $158.98. But I think the upcharges compared to what they were back then add up to more than that, not to mention the drink prices, loss of services, worse food quality, etc.

There is no question in my mind that the value is less today. But I still like it.

Cruising is cheaper then the past even without the inflation. My first cruise in 1988 on Royal was over $2800 for the 2 of us in a tiny porthole cabin on deck 2 of the Sovereign...

Is really difficult to assess precisely how much a Cruise vacation cost at any particular arbitrary point in time in the past without having really good records. Even then, insuring that you're comparing Apples to Apples is really critical, down to precisely what you ate, when you ate it, and the service that was provided, and similar detail related to every other aspect of the cruise purchased. As I pointed out earlier in this thread we're at a certain point in the economic cycle Leading Edge of a recovery, and so comparing this point in time to any other point in time that isn't also similarly on Leading Edge of a recovery after a recession of significance means you're not really comparing Apples to Apples either. Recessions and recoveries have a major impact on the availability of discretionary income therefore the price of discretionary purchases, of any sort whatsoever.

So all we really can say it is that we are in a period during which the American Consumer is prompting service providers to unbundle their services, keeping base prices as low as possible and accounting for the requirement for Revenue growth through fees, surcharges, etc. In the end, the American Consumer is still looking for the best value for themselves just like service providers are looking for the most profitability. The only way without inside information to know whether one side of the other is off track is to look at load levels and breakage (the extent to which cabins are empty or are being sold at drastic discounts).

Despite incredibly large increases in the supply of cabins available for booking within the industry, I haven't seen any significant evidence of an increase in breakage. Can anyone point to any reputable and objective source of information that indicates that there is significantly more breakage today than in the past?

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

The categorization is not made by me but by the industry itself. Celebrity, Princess and HAL are understood to be in the Premium segment.

That's my point - you use their marketing spin and labels to somehow differentiate the brands which in the grand scheme of things offer about the same product around the same price.

Biker, who wonders when the industry will be accepting enough to include MSC with the big 3.

That's my point - you use their marketing spin and labels to somehow differentiate the brands which in the grand scheme of things offer about the same product around the same price.
Is it really all that clear that Holland America is comprable to Celebrity? It seemed to me at least 8 years ago that Holland America was pretty much on par with Royal Caribbean. My late mother had significant Cruise days on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean and noted that Celebrity was consistently and significantly higher grade.

However your point is well taken: We probably cannot all agree on a definitive ordering between Carnival, Holland America, and Princess. I think this is because it really isn't enough room for 3 Cruise Lines such that one is better than the other is better than the other is better than the other, within that mainstream segment of the market. That's probably a little bit too much granularity. So there is some significant overlap that probably is not good for the bottom line and therefore probably won't last forever. I wonder if some orneriness among Holland America fans can be attributed to concern stemming from how they feel their Cruise Line is being handled by the corporation in light of the fact that they, at least subconsciously, realize that there's not enough room for all 3 Lines to survive as separate divisions for forever.

I'm Not sure that the same problem exists on the Royal Caribbean side. I think it's clear that there's a difference between Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. My late mother made that point over and over again and I don't think the intervening 8 years has made that much of a difference.

The differentiation between different brands in the same Corporation doesn't, or at least shouldn't, have that much impact a new entrant to the market so I'm not sure I understand your point there.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Is it really all that clear that Holland America is comprable to Celebrity? It seemed to me at least 8 years ago that Holland America was pretty much on par with Royal Caribbean. My late mother had significant Cruise days on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean and noted that Celebrity was consistently and significantly higher grade.

However your point is well taken: We probably cannot all agree on a definitive ordering between Carnival, Holland America, and Princess. I think this is because it really isn't enough room for 3 Cruise Lines such that one is better than the other is better than the other is better than the other, within that mainstream segment of the market. That's probably a little bit too much granularity. So there is some significant overlap that probably is not good for the bottom line and therefore probably won't last forever. I wonder if some orneriness among Holland America fans can be attributed to concern stemming from how they feel their Cruise Line is being handled by the corporation in light of the fact that they, at least subconsciously, realize that there's not enough room for all 3 Lines to survive as separate divisions for forever.

I'm Not sure that the same problem exists on the Royal Caribbean side. I think it's clear that there's a difference between Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. My late mother made that point over and over again and I don't think the intervening 8 years has made that much of a difference.

The differentiation between different brands in the same Corporation doesn't, or at least shouldn't, have that much impact a new entrant to the market so I'm not sure I understand your point there.

About 10 years ago, I went on RCI and Holland America 2 months apart. There was a significant gap at the time. I have not cruised Holland America since, so I cannot speak for the gap at this time, which given 10 years could have narrowed considerably, but back in 2007 it was a notable difference in food quality and service. The price difference was quite noticeable at the time as well. I found the crowd a little too seasoned for my taste, and thus have not sailed them since. We had a very enjoyable time, and I found the service quite nice, and the ship spotlessly maintained.

There was a time when almost all the cruise lines had nearly identical service, food, etc., except for Carnival, which has always been on the lower end, and Celebrity and Holland America which always catered to a more 5 star experience. That is obviously not the case in the current cruising market, as each cruise line has since carved out a specific niche.

About 10 years ago, I went on RCI and Holland America 2 months apart. There was a significant gap at the time. I have not cruised Holland America since, so I cannot speak for the gap at this time, which given 10 years could have narrowed considerably, but back in 2007 it was a notable difference in food quality and service.
I suppose it's possible that there was a big difference between 2007 and 2008. I'm mobile right now so I can't check to see when management might have changed to account for that. I do know that our 2008 cruise on Holland America was no better in quality than my earlier Royal Caribbean Cruises.

I have not cruised Holland America since, as I found the crowd a little too seasoned for my taste.
I noted that as well. It's comforting to know that I'm not alone in that estimation.

My post to their Facebook page:

I am very disappointed to see that complimentary room service will be discontinued on yours ships. I am disappointed not because I care about room service itself (though the fee is a continuation of the disturbing nickel-and-diming occurring increasingly on your ships), but because of how the elimination of this amenity is being rolled out.

This is not a price change, but the elimination of a complimentary amenity that has been standard on Royal Caribbean ships for years. It is a perk that guests booking trips on your ships have understood to be included in the price they paid. At this very moment, it is listed as a Complimentary Dining Option on your website. To eliminate this amenity for those with no financial recourse to make a change because their Final Payment date has passed reveals the very low regard in which you must hold your loyal Guests. As somebody who until this point has enjoyed your product, this has been eye-opening, and extremely disheartening.

Their reply:

Hey Brian. Our aim was not to disappoint our guest but to introduce a new premium room service menu in order to enhance your dining experience.

Are they going to improve the menu's in the Main Dining room and the windjammer. Food in both venues has gone down in quality in the last 2 or more years. The menu on the Indepencence hasn't charged for years. The food is not much better than a cheap canteen. We are on Independence again later this year, but it will be our last time on RCL if things haven't improved. This latest extra charge does not help either, especially as they have put the overall charge up again. This year is the most we have ever paid for a cruise. We are tried for time of the year etc.

I suppose it's possible that there was a big difference between 2007 and 2008. I'm mobile right now so I can't check to see when management might have changed to account for that. I do know that our 2008 cruise on Holland America was no better in quality than my earlier Royal Caribbean Cruises.

I noted that as well. It's comforting to know that I'm not alone in that estimation.

I have noticed recently, that not only their is a huge difference between lines, but a huge difference between ships. This could explain such a vast difference between 2007 and 2008, or even differences in individual experiences. At one point I thought that maybe newer ships were putting together better services, but recent experiences have gone against that working theory.

Just between RCI, I feel that the quality control is really falling apart. I guess when you expand as rapidly as they have it is difficult to control quality. I stopped going to the MDR for 3 cruises straight as the food was just intolerable, and then we decided to go one day on a whim, and the steak was absolutely delicious, and the service reasonably timely. The previous time I could barely cut my steak with a chainsaw, and it took 2 hours and 15 min. for an appetizer and a steak, and I was never asked if I wanted a beverage. I had to walk out of the MDR and go to a bar to order a drink.

Without a large sample size, it is difficult to gauge the overall quality of a cruise line in todays market, as there seems to be such a wide variety of experiences now as the cruise lines have expanded so rapidly they can no longer put out a consistent product.

I have cruised Disney, NCL, RCCL and I cruised HAL, for the first time, last Christmas. I felt the food on HAL was the best I've had on any line (other than Disney) and was as good as Disney. RCCL, by far, has everyone beat as far as entertainment goes. Prices were also great on HAL compared to RCCL...$7.95 for most cocktails, $12.50/day for gratuities and $29 for dinner at the Pinnacle Grill, which was absolutely incredible. I was very impressed with HAL if you want a very relaxing cruise. Other than the BB King Lounge and the Piano Bar, their entertainment has a lot to be desired but we specifically chose the cruise in order to have a relaxing vacation and spent as much time enjoying our balcony as possible. Their room services was also free and we had a hot breakfast (eggs/bacon/sausage...no pancakes or waffles offered) every morning and used it as our alarm clock because they always came exactly when requested. Their itinerary options are also incredible compared to the routine itineraries of Carnival, RCCL and NCL. I have always had the most excellent service on each and every line.

We are sailing on the Allure again in May and know what to expect because we've sailed her before and had an incredible time. However, all of the talk about the sales pitching while eating has me worried and won't be tolerated.

The different lines all offer varying degrees of differences in the cruise experience and they all have their pros/cons. I have never been disappointed with any of our cruises and have enjoyed each and every one.

And here is RCL's reply.

Effective December 9, 2017, Drink Packages will NOT be honored in the Main Dining Room as well as the following venues onboard Harmony of the Seas: Boot & Bonnet Pub, Boleros, Cafe Promenade,Sorrentos, Rising Tide Bar, Bionic Bar, Schooners, Sky Bar, Trellis Bar, and all specialty restaurants.

Once onboard, please consult your cruise compass for listing of bars, stocked with bargain basement brands, where your Drink Package will still be honored.

We are making this change in response to the demand for Drink Packages, to improve and enhance your drinking experience.

Here is my note to RCL will let everyone know how it goes:

I have been reading about the room service change and how it will be impacting my cruise later in the year. Can I pretend to be upset about the change and get an Onboard credit so to calm my made up anger about this change?

Hey, at least they are giving you more than 2 weeks notice about the change to your drink package.

CB

Wow, we just learned about this new charge via here and social media. My elderly mother is sailing with us in May, and we planned to use room service for her, when her legs got tired.

We haven't sailed RCCL since 2010, when an incident on a tour and the way it was handled on-board, and afterwards, put us off. We've sailed many times with other lines since, but decided to give RCCL another chance; mostly due to mum. Dad died shortly after the 2010 cruise, and recently she expressed a desire to go back on the Indy again. It's a big ship for her, so naturally we've some concerns about the walking involved. What really annoys me is that RCCL haven't informed us of the changes. When I paid in full last month, room service was listed as complimentary! Of course we will pay the charges. And have a great cruise nonetheless. But it leaves a nasty taste. There should be proper advance notice of changes (before final payment). We shouldn't have to learn these things on social media :mad:

Biker, who wonders when the industry will be accepting enough to include MSC with the big 3.

They aren't the same product though, it's not marketing spin.

Contemporary ships cater to families. You aren't going to find water slides or as extensive kids programs (for example) , on celebrity, princess or HAL. That money goes to increase adult public space and better quality buffet offerings... Or perhaps more adult offerings is a better way to put it.

I agree that they are all mainstream lines (contemporary and premium), but premium lines are a distinctly more adult experience and are on average slightly more expensive.

With that said, the line between contemporary and premium is slowly blurring. Even HAL is getting more kids on board.

I agree with you regarding MSC. One of the best values in cruising in terms of price points to get on board.