I now understand all the Cruise Director fuss

Just got off Anthem on Sunday morning. This was my 3rd cruise, my 2nd with RCI. On my previous 2 cruises, I have no specific memory of the Cruise Director. They were there, but didn't really add anything to the cruise.

This time I can truly say that the CD added to the cruise experience. Clo (aka Hello Clo) has a natural and engaging personality, a quick wit and could likely put a few stand-up comics out of a job. She was assisted by Activities Manager Kevin and someone named Prince (also a Canadian but didn't catch his official title).

Clo was visible, approachable, funny and willing to mingle with anyone. So, while I'll say that the CD won't make or break any cruise, I can now see that they can definitely add a bonus value do a cruise.

FYI, this was Clo and Prince's last cruise on Anthem. Both are moving to the Brilliance next (if my memory is correct).

Just got off Anthem on Sunday morning. This was my 3rd cruise, my 2nd with RCI. On my previous 2 cruises, I have no specific memory of the Cruise Director. They were there, but didn't really add anything to the cruise.

This time I can truly say that the CD added to the cruise experience. Clo (aka Hello Clo) has a natural and engaging personality, a quick wit and could likely put a few stand-up comics out of a job. She was assisted by Activities Manager Kevin and someone named Prince (also a Canadian but didn't catch his official title).

Clo was visible, approachable, funny and willing to mingle with anyone. So, while I'll say that the CD won't make or break any cruise, I can now see that they can definitely add a bonus value do a cruise.

FYI, this was Clo and Prince's last cruise on Anthem. Both are moving to the Brilliance next (if my memory is correct).

Wow, it is great you had such a brilliant cruise with her.

I was unfortunate to get the complete opposite experience with her last year on Brilliance, perhaps she was just having an 'off' cruise that time. The CD certainly doesn't make or break my cruise experience though but I do understand the difference a good one can make.

We've done lots of cruises and never been very bothered about the cruise director until last October when we did the TA on Brilliance. Clo was our CD and I completely agree with you that she was outstanding.

Since then though I did see a thread on here about CDs and some people said they didn't like her so I suppose we all have different tastes:)

Julie

I have been on around 20 cruises of various lines and maybe remember three directors as being truly memorable. When they do an outstanding job though, they certainly leave a lasting impression. Around 3-4 years ago we were on the Freedom and our cruise director had just been promoted to his new position. He was very tall and a muscular thin build and always had a smile on his face. At every evening show as the curtain was going down, he would say "I Love You" in a funny tone to the crowd which always got some laughs. My family and I still joke around with the I Love You's to this day. I cant recall his name though. Some of the cruise directors are truly talented.

Clo was the CD on a B2B Christmas cruise on the Brilliance that we did a few years ago. It is true that a CD can make a big difference and she did!

We've sailed with Clo twice. A favorite story/memory was when she began the morning announcements by telling the whole ship that it was a "beautiful day aboard the Jewel of the Sleaze!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been on around 20 cruises of various lines and maybe remember three directors as being truly memorable. When they do an outstanding job though, they certainly leave a lasting impression. Around 3-4 years ago we were on the Freedom and our cruise director had just been promoted to his new position. He was very tall and a muscular thin build and always had a smile on his face. At every evening show as the curtain was going down, he would say "I Love You" in a funny tone to the crowd which always got some laughs. My family and I still joke around with the I Love You's to this day. I cant recall his name though. Some of the cruise directors are truly talented.

I forget his name, he was great. He also wore funny colored and different socks.....

in my opinion, there are 3 categories of Cruise Directors. 1. The one we all want, the absolutely amazing cruise director that sets and maintains an awesome theme and tone to the entire cruise. 2. The cruise director that doesn't stand out, but the cruise was great anyways (more than likely, due to the unseen portion of his job), and 3, The cruise director you wish wasn't there. Unforunately, I had #3 on the Grandeur last week with Paul Rutter. The activities onboard were very run of the mill, but everything felt stock and reused. His presentation of things were stock and reused. I actually guessed what he was going to say before he was going to say it (not sure if that says he's dull, or that i've been on too many cruises :rolleyes:) I just got the impression that he didn't really want to be there, and there was not much chemistry with him and his staff. This is the 1st of 17 cruises that I've ever encountered this.

I am very much a believer that the Cruise Director is an integral part of the cruise but his personality is but a part of the whole package.

I have been on many cruises and had some great cruise directors and some okay ones. The great cruise directors make a fun cruise even that much more fun. The blah ones did not ruin the cruise at all, just did not make it better. And they were not memorable. I think for those that don't understand the fuss, most of them did not have a cruise director that really clicked for them.

Clo was the CD on a Brilliance re-positioning and she was outstanding. At the time it was our longest cruise and smallest ship so she and her team were a big part of the trip.

Yes, she arranged for a local group to come on board and perform during the port stop in Cork (2015 eastbound TA).

Yep, that was him. For the life of me I cannot recall his name. I am not sure he is still with RCCL at this point.

The "socks" part makes me think it was Richard Spacey who is now with Celebrity.

The "socks" part makes me think it was Richard Spacey who is now with Celebrity.

Yep thats him. I googled him on youtube and found this video of him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qyv75ICunIE. He is probably the best cruise director I have sailed with. It says he was with RCCL for 17 years. I thought I remember him saying he was just promoted to cruise director back in 2013, but it looks like he was a cruise director long before that. I must have heard incorrect on that. We sail on the oasis in 68 days. I might just have to book another celebrity cruise after that.

Richard Spacey. He is now a CD with Celebrity

In general I do not care who is the CD, also was not impressed with Clo on Brilliance last September

Interesting, we had Clo on the fall transatlantic and thought she was one of the best we had seen.

Richard Spacey is the very best. The only one that ever made an impression on us. I thought he had gone to corporate for Celebrity. Good to know he is actually now on a ship. Anyone know which one?

Constellation at the moment but due for a break soon

Interesting, we had Clo on the fall transatlantic and thought she was one of the best we had seen.

I really thought her staff in general was really poor, she was nice in when we talked , she had been the Renainssance just before it went in under which I loved, . .Meet and greet was also very short with no gifts to the general group (even though we won a gift , on a raffle),

Richard Spacey is the very best. The only one that ever made an impression on us. I thought he had gone to corporate for Celebrity. Good to know he is actually now on a ship. Anyone know which one?

He was on the Constellation a few months ago, when I did the Suez Canal repositioning to Abu Dhabi. Still doing the socks thing :)

Edit: Sorry, missed DonnaK's reply with this info.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I really thought her staff in general was really poor ...

I will agree that one or two of the activities staff.were not the best. However, there were some entertainment crew that were outstanding, such as the Phoenix trio.

OP, I'm taking cold mess, and when I read your review, I thought I had written it in a drug-induced stupor.

We were on your cruise, and you put our opinions into words. I, too, never realized how much difference a CD could make. Her monologue at the Welcome Aboard show was better than some professionals. She was all over the ship and funny and charming every time you saw her.