What happens to items left in cabins

Mr.Sunshine

If it's turned in, it'll go to the home office lost and found. Then they try to get it to the rightful owner.

A few years ago there was a thread about things pax found in their cabins. Lots of clothes, shoes, used 'stuff'[emoji33], teeth etc.

We left our camera onboard a Carnival ship last year. We called and reported it missing, with very little hope of getting it back. Then magically it was returned 6 months later. It went from Galveston to Miami and was eventually matched to our claim and shipped back us. Don't give up hope!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Was it RCL's fault that you left them - and either the steward or the next occupant decided to keep (or trash) them?

I suppose it all depends on what you leave, but I had a pleasant experience with HAL. I accidentally left a number of medications in our cabin when disembarking. Naturally they could have been replaced with new physician Rx's but I did notify the lost and found. I was called three days later and told they had been located and that HAL was sending them to me via UPS. I told them I'd be happy to pay the cost of sending them since it was my brainless action that left them behind. HAL said absolutely not, they are on their way to you and thanks for cruising with us!

I left some items I would love to get back. Any suggestions on how to achieve this or am I out of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You can contact RCI's Lost & Found, there is an email link here (within the paragraph): http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=379&faqSubjectName=Post+Cruise&faqId=3488. It will depend on what items you left behind, as I understand that clothing is something that typically gets donated.

I've only left an item behind once, on HAL, my prescription glasses. (I had contacts for the remainder of the cruise). Five months later the glasses and case showed up in the mail at work (I keep a business card in the case). I have no idea where they were all those months, but nice to get them back. And HAL kindly didn't charge for the postage. :)

Its not their fault your photos went missing...

Most of our purchases go straight into a suitcase. The picture packaging looks to much like the daily onboard junk mail.

I know that clothing items are donated to various charities depending on where the ship is sailing.

On a HAL cruise that we were on, I went to put some items in the safe and noticed a small black box back in the corner. We turned the little jewelry box into the concierge and she said that she would send it to Seattle. She marked down the cabin number and date that it was found. I am assuming that the people who accidently left it there got it back.

When traveling, I put address labels on valuables (binoculars, cameras, phones, tablets etc.) If there is a security concern, then label with a cell phone # only on the item. It could make getting important items back to the owner a little easier.

The address label is a great idea and one I will be using in the future. After more than a dozen cruises, I still find great tips here. We've lost multiple items on cruise ships and they've been returned, but they were items lost during the cruise. The only item discovered lost after the cruise was over was a poster bought in Maui by my Grandson to remember the whale watch we had been on that day. it was in a large cardboard tube and was sitting behind the curtain going to the balcony. When I called the ship, they said they would check on it and return it. It didn't happen. Not the end of the world but it would have been nice to have gotten it back. The address label just might have made a difference. :(

We left a snorkel bag (with lots of additional stuff inside) on the last Princess cruise for the season in the Caribbean for this particular ship. We called Princess as soon as we got back and they started hunting. Since the ship was leaving that day for Europe they said if they found it, it would be on it's way to Europe but they would send it back to us when the ship returned. They did find it, according to them and would send it back once the ship returned for the Caribbean season. They then called and said it could no longer be found and we filed a claim with them and they were most generous in paying for the missing items.

• 1 year later...
A few years ago there was a thread about things pax found in their cabins. Lots of clothes, shoes, used 'stuff'emoji33.png, teeth etc.

I found a greeting card once in one of the bedside table drawers. I think it was for an anniversary, but don't quote me, and IIRC, it hadn't been written in yet. I assume someone brought it and was going to give it to their significant other and then just forgot. Obviously, housekeeping was really on point with it still being there for me to find. :-p

I left a straw sun hat when I got off in Vancouver (this hat is SO SO my favorite piece of clothing!). A few hours later, hubby noticed and I went - OMG!!!! I went to the cruise terminal (the ship was just embarking the next set of passengers), got passed from person to person, ended up in a small Holland America office, after communications on walkie-talkies, I was finally met with someone from the ship carrying my beloved hat! Yes, I was really lucky to still be in town and discover the loss before the ship left the port. But they went the extra mile to get me my silly hat. Lord, I love that hat!