Mexico safety concerns?

docboy

From the government of Canada:

MEXICO - Exercise a high degree of caution

On the evening of January 17, 2017, a shooting occurred at a Mexican government office in downtown Cancun.

In the early hours of January 16, 2017, a gunman opened fire in the Blue Parrot Club in Playa del Carmen, killing at least five people and injuring others.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

From the government of Canada:

MEXICO - Exercise a high degree of caution

On the evening of January 17, 2017, a shooting occurred at a Mexican government office in downtown Cancun.

In the early hours of January 16, 2017, a gunman opened fire in the Blue Parrot Club in Playa del Carmen, killing at least five people and injuring others.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

One could point out felonies like this anywhere. Example: exercise a high degree of caution in Orlando. A gunman opened fire in a popular nightclub in Orlando, killing many and injuring many...

A shooting occurred outside the Rio Grande hotel in Salt Lake City, killing 2. The Rio Grande is near the popular Gateway Center and the Energy Solutions Arena.

I was in Rome when the government police raided a suspected ISIS cell house 2 years ago.

Anectodal things are everywhere. If I listened to every warning given about traveling, I'd never leave my house.

One could point out felonies like this anywhere.
But they don't. They point out felonies like this in the context of travel advisories where they have insight into the local area that indicates that risk is high. One could I suppose discount advisories from the United States government if they have a particular paranoia against the United States but this one is now corroborated by the government of Canada.

Perhaps the DH just didn't want to go to Mexico and made up the "off limits" as a ruse to not have to go ashore ;)

His restriction was probably more due to his specific duty assignment and, if it required a clearance, what level of clearance and any compartment issues. Not a blanket rule for any military. As a civilian working on government contracts where I had TS+compartment, I could travel, but I had to inform the compliance officer prior in order to get a security/safety briefing. Yes, even for the "let's go over to Tijuana for the afternoon" trips. I still have friends in the Marines stationed at Pendleton and they enjoy the occasional jaunt down to the Baja beaches for a weekend getaway.

No one knows the reason but your DH...

Exactly. I still work for the military and I approve country clearance requests for my folks....and these folks all have the highest clearances. The parts of Mexico restricted to US government personnel are very specific. The places cruise ship go are not included. Military personnel most definitely are NOT restricted from Mexican cruises.

Heck, USN and USCG ships port in PV all the time. They usually have curfews, but they are not restricted to the ship.

For what it's worth, this is the Mexican travel advisory and it specifies where US government personnel cannot visit. It's a good read for all travelers. Puerto Vallarta is in the state of Jalisco and that paragraph lists specific towns in that state....not including PV:

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/mexico-travel-warning.html

The atmosphere may change if the wall goes up

Funny observation a few weeks ago here in PV. I walked by a nearby restaurant and they had a hand lettered sign which said: "Best Restaurant South of the Wall."

Hank

Most of the time you will be OK in Mexico, BUT when things go wrong in Mexico they go VERY WRONG as in likely not survivable (think fully automatic weapons being used in your vicinity) or kidnapping, carjacking and robbery. Sticking to the tourist areas may or may not help at all as there has been violence in both tourist areas and non-tourist areas. Key points are never wear jewelry or carry a lot of money in Mexico. Dress in cheap clothes so it does not appear that you have money. Be constantly vigilant and always have a contingency plan - i.e. what you will do if things go crazy suddenly - be aware of where the exits are and where you can take shelter from gunfire, etc. If you are in a group, it is likely your group will have no choice but split up if there is emergency, so have a plan of where to meet. Think of it this type of scenario: You are enjoying a sunny beach and your 10 year old and 12 year old (or your spouse and/or relatives) are in the shallow water swimming around. Suddenly shots are being fired between you and your kids. What will you do at that point and what should your kids do?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/03/05/acapulco-tourist-mecca-and-cartel-murder-capital.html

Be vigilant and always have a contingency plan for all family members. Stay on resorts with a day pass and mostly you should be OK.

This was in Cacun recently:

http://www.businessinsider.com/shootings-drug-violence-in-cancun-playa-del-carmen-mexico-2017-1 (yes, I know East coast as opposed to the West coast - but this is a typical example of what goes on.)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/how-safe-is-mexico-playa-del-carmen-shooting-1.3939706

"The danger for tourists in Mexico is "being in the wrong place in the wrong time — because if you stay within these bubbles, your chances of encountering a violent or unpleasant incident are the same or less than if you're at home, for the most part." "

http://www.rense.com/general79/mxc.htm

http://mexicovacationawareness.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw76jGBRDm1K-X_LnrmuEBEiQA8RXYZ5IpRDS1N_5AfQ1wzlUXWLCE1u52AqQifbzUGknIk3UaAujt8P8HAQ

Get a day pass at a resort and stay on the resort grounds except when you are traveling from/to the ship. Even so, you need to be careful as there is no telling how well the pools and hot tubs work. Of course, never go anywhere alone, don't allow your kids to go in the pool or hot tub alone and always have a contingency plan for all members of your party. Most of the time, nothing will go wrong, but if it does, having a plan on how to deal with it may make all the difference in your chance of surviving the incident.

Sometimes, I think Mexico should build a wall to keep out Americans...

If you think Mexico is dirty, and has gangs armed with automatic weapons around every corner, perhaps Mexico is not where you should be cruising... ;)

I think many Mexicans would disagree with you. They rely on tourist money and US tourists are majority of vacationers there.

Mexico has different regions and yes some of them are not safe.

Most of the time you will be OK in Mexico, BUT when things go wrong in Mexico they go VERY WRONG as in likely not survivable (think fully automatic weapons being used in your vicinity) or kidnapping, carjacking and robbery. Sticking to the tourist areas may or may not help at all as there has been violence in both tourist areas and non-tourist areas. Key points are never wear jewelry or carry a lot of money in Mexico. Dress in cheap clothes so it does not appear that you have money. Be constantly vigilant and always have a contingency plan - i.e. what you will do if things go crazy suddenly - be aware of where the exits are and where you can take shelter from gunfire, etc. If you are in a group, it is likely your group will have no choice but split up if there is emergency, so have a plan of where to meet.

"The danger for tourists in Mexico is "being in the wrong place in the wrong time — because if you stay within these bubbles, your chances of encountering a violent or unpleasant incident are the same or less than if you're at home, for the most part." .

Seriously? Where do you live?

Ft lauderdale - 11 people shot randomly in an airport

So far 618 people have been shot in Chicago in 2017; so u think none of them were innocent bystanders?

The Boston marathon, the Orlando nightclub, sandyhook, aurora Colorado , etc etc...The list can go on and on; look at any cities news sites/papers. No, I refuse to live in fear and as long as I apply the reasonable amount of caution I would use at home; I feel no need to be constantly vigilant in the tourist areas of Mexico. We live in a violent world.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Mexico is an awfully large place. Are some really writing off an entire country due to issues in certain areas? Kind of like writing off the US because of violence in New York. Perhaps some folks should stick to those cruise ship "private islands" where there is no risk of exposure to pesky locals, or just stay right by the ship and hang out at one of the fine US chain restaurants/bars littering the Caribbean, Bahamas and Mexico.

Here is a map showing where the drug cartels are. At this point, it is most of the areas that you would visit by ship - particularly on the west coast of Mexico:

http://www.insightcrime.org/news-analysis/mapping-mexico-current-organized-crime-landscape

This map shows how drugs flow into the US from Mexico and their presence in the US:

http://www.businessinsider.com/dea-maps-of-mexican-cartels-in-the-us-2016-12

Slidergirl, I'm with you the wall should keep Americans out. Mexico is a wonderful country and the people are more polite then any I see in the States. Like I said before I lived here 5 years and have never seen a problem.

I did not realize so many people hate this wonderful country.

Doesnt make any sense . Do you think that Americans who don't like Mexico go there?

Why would you want to keep people who like it out?

I also highly doubt that Americans who want to visit Mexico enter it illegally unlike ...

Hi everyone,

Family and I are thinking of taking the Mexican Riviera 7 day cruise from LA to Cabo and Puerta Vallarta this summer 2017. This will potentially be our 2nd time on this cruise :)

Question is regarding recent "safety concerns" issued by Dept of State for part of Mexico on Dec 2016. Has anyone just come back from Mexico's ports recently? Any incident where you think safety was an issue?

I can't make out if these US Dept State warnings are just ramblings from the new White House administration, or if it is something to be concerned about. I've been to many parts of Mexico, stayed in the tourist areas/resorts/excursions, and didn't really see anything concerning.

Thanks!

Just Got back from that Cruise last week and did not have any safety concerns, have fun!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not sure I can agree with that. I know folks, folks my own family perhaps, who will have no problem visiting Mexico and taking advantage of whatever Hospitality they may offer while still harboring deep contempt for the nation and its people. It's rather disgusting actually.

Doesnt make any sense . Do you think that Americans who don't like Mexico go there?

Why would you want to keep people who like it out?

I also highly doubt that Americans who want to visit Mexico enter it illegally unlike ...

There was an article posted the other week about just this: (lifted first paragraph)

"A February 28 report from Mexico’s Excélsior news outlet said that 91.2% of all Americans who live in Mexico are living there illegally. The percentage of undocumented Americans is based on findings from a 2015 census survey from Mexico’s Institute of Geography and Statistics.

According to the Excélsior report, it said that 739,168 U.S. citizens lived in Mexico during 2015, of which only 65,302 had legal residency. The report explained that this breakdown marked a 37.8% increase in Mexico’s undocumented population of Americans living there. These Americans, Excélsior noted, are not deported."

Sorry, I don't read Spanish and cannot evaluate credibility of this source... but what did these "illegal Americans" arrive by a cruise ship?

This is a cruise forum where majority of posters are Americans cruisers.

You picked the best place to post about a wall.

We have been travelling for past 30 years, to many places including Mexico, Europe, the MIddle East... what we realize the world is not as safe as it use to be... therefore no matter where you are in the USA or elswhere you need to be alert and pay attention... we don't go off the beaten track or too far away from the port.

I miss my Mexican Riviera cruises. I wish lines other than Carnival visited that part of the country regularly. The whale watching in Mexico is head and shoulders better than in California, Hawaii or Alaska. I try to plan a January MR cruise just for the whale watching, but we've been visiting other cruise ports for the past couple of years.

Check out Princess.They sail out of San Pedro. They have a few 10 day cruises that hit Cabo, P.V., Loreto and La Paz. I just wish Carnival didn't do so many cruises with 2 days in Cabo.

The cities that the ships go to are safe. In fact, I feel safer in the port cities of Mexico than I do in some parts of Los Angeles.

Well, to be fair, being somewhere doesn't make you aware of what goes on some small but significant basis unless you happen to be part of it. The safety concerns should not be interpreted as A prediction every single person stepping on Mexican soil is going to be a victim of crime. Even as things are, the probability is still just a probability. If you really want to know from personal experience you need to be someone in the position to know what happens to other people very frequently, like a police officer in the area. That's why we rely on government (or this case if one prefers, the government of Canada) to have an eye on things so they can put out timely and appropriate advisories.

We booked a cruise to Mexico last night (the Yucatan not the Riviera) despite but not in ignorance of the advisories and other available insights about the risks of traveling. Because in the end that's all they are, advisories.