Million Dollar Baby Needing Help Getting In Touch With NCL Executives

toyotaford

It's also possible that NCL stands to lose more in the long run by losing several customers who are overlooked directly for this one privileged guest or who are turned away by bad word of mouth. We may not all spend $1 million individually but together we are worth way more to NCL than this one person.

NCL has really smart people who are capable of making these types of analytical business decisions. Those are the people OP asked to get in contact with.

I'm not trying to convince others to see it my way. Half this board will agree with me and the other half will disagree. I would just like the OP have some understanding of how his post can come off to others.

I think most of us have some familiarity with this board. The OP sounds entitled, but we routinely see much worse displays of entitlement, with much less justification. The OP let us know how rich and successful they are, but we routinely see people who have much less to flaunt flaunting it much more loudly. And finally, this is yet another complaint thread, but the OP's reaction is "I'm kind of disappointed", whereas we routinely hear people say "NEVER AGAIN NCL EVIL LIARS AND CHEATERS" over much lesser perceived slights.

Most threads like this would be in full flame war by now, either because the OP disappears and everyone swarms in to crucify them in absentia, or because the OP takes the bait and feels the need to fight back. In this case the OP is here calmly answering follow-up questions and providing updates.

I don't know if the OP deserves a deal, or who they need to talk to to get one. They're playing way outside of my league. But as far as the NCL board goes, this thread is a step up, against all odds.

And I want to highlight again that he is spending for someone else. He is booking 10 cabins. There very easily could be someone on their first NCL cruise who, if NCL complies with the OP, may benefit getting a Haven at a discounted price when a passenger who is actually loyal but on a separate booking, who bid fairly, may get shut out. So now we are basing loyalty on whose credit card was swiped, rather than who sails.

I'm new to NCL and trying to get up to speed through this forum, so I don't have a basis to compare the current management to how things were under the prior regime. But I am seeing a number of parallels in this thread / NCL's new upgrade process (as I understand it) and what United Airlines did with their mileage plus program under Jeff Smisek after the Continental Airlines merger.

Pre-merger, long time high revenue UA passengers received many benefits -- written and unwritten -- as a nod to their loyalty. That included things like free operational upgrades to 1st class, waivers of various penalty rules, and little acknowledgements by the crew on board. Sounds like NCL may have been similar, with upgrades handled opaquely through a phone line that wasn't actively promoted to infrequent travelers [sorry if I have that wrong from what I've read].

Post merger, everything quickly became more rigid and shifted to nickle and dime monetization. Part of that corresponded with the general race to the bottom in the airline industry, (e.g. involving things like checked bag fees, elimination of meals and pillows, etc.). But much of it was just that management team being penny-wise, pound-foolish. The most notable example was so-called "time of departure" or TOD upgrades for purchase, which started being offered to NON-STATUS passengers for less than they were offered to high status passengers (read about it in the UA forum on Flyertalk if it's of interest). A college kid who flew the airline once a year might be offered a seat in first class for $49 during online check-in, while a three million mile flyer who had put in a request to upgrade using an award certificate they'd earned (by spending half their waking hours in a United seat, at the cost of $xxx,xxx in annual spend) wouldn't have that instrument clear and wouldn't be offered a paid upgrade at all, or would be offered the same seat for $499. This was coupled with fewer award seats being offered, reservations agents on the elite phone lines becoming less flexible, and the on-board product generally being downgraded.

The result? Many high dollar flyers jumped to other airlines -- notably American and Delta. That hit United in their PRASM figures (revenue per seat mile), which led to several bad quarters, which led to further erosion in on-board quality (no more pillows, no more blankets, no more meals in domestic first on some flights, etc.). The experience for everybody began to suffer. Yes, UA got that extra $49 for the 1st class seat they might have previously given away, but they lost untold $xxx,xxx in individual spend from hundreds if not thousands of disgruntled high mileage flyers.

So what's my point here? Yes, NCL has a new system that lets everyone compete for upgrades based on what they are prepared to spend, which is going to maximize upgrade revenue and minimize the number of free upgrades being handed out / sold for less to high dollar customers. Yes, OP is asking for those cabins to be handed out based on historical spend, and perhaps at levels that are less than what an infrequent cruiser on this sailing might spend. But if you are a fan of this cruise line, and if you want the on board service level to remain high, you want NCL to continue to attracting high dollar customers and want them to keep them happy. You do not want them to monetize everything at a what-the-market-will-bear, ala carte model.

In any industry, it's much easier to strip benefits (written and unwritten) than it is to restore them -- once you've established a revenue stream, you have to explain to your board / stockholders why you're going to give up on that revenue and start giving it away for free for unquantifiable "loyalty." If too many big(ger) fish like OP start walking over inflexible approaches to things like upgrades, you risk all your perks being eroded.

Your mileage may vary.

I think most of us have some familiarity with this board. The OP sounds entitled, but we routinely see much worse displays of entitlement, with much less justification. The OP let us know how rich and successful they are, but we routinely see people who have much less to flaunt flaunting it much more loudly. And finally, this is yet another complaint thread, but the OP's reaction is "I'm kind of disappointed", whereas we routinely hear people say "NEVER AGAIN NCL EVIL LIARS AND CHEATERS" over much lesser perceived slights.

Most threads like this would be in full flame war by now, either because the OP disappears and everyone swarms in to crucify them in absentia, or because the OP takes the bait and feels the need to fight back. In this case the OP is here calmly answering follow-up questions and providing updates.

I don't know if the OP deserves a deal, or who they need to talk to to get one. They're playing way outside of my league. But as far as the NCL board goes, this thread is a step up, against all odds.

You're totally right. Maybe it was the specified amount he's spent that set me off. You're right that his disposition here has been calm and he is using the board to seek information on who to contact, which I respect. However, I still believe the basis of his claim is rooted in entitlement even if it's easier to stomach his story than the "I'LL NEVER SAIL NCL" type posters.

I tried that number yesterday but did not have that specific extension. I just ask for the executive offices. The lady who answered the line when I was transferred did answer executive something and when I explained what I was trying to do put me on hold. She came back and said she had talked to the revenue department and I would have to have each cabin go through the bid process individually. So I was back to where I was a week ago Monday.

But I did send an email to Andy Stuart using the address

someone gave me on here last night and got a response from him this morning.

Call Again, ask for Susan ;)

I'm new to NCL and trying to get up to speed through this forum, so I don't have a basis to compare the current management to how things were under the prior regime. But I am seeing a number of parallels in this thread / NCL's new upgrade process (as I understand it) and what United Airlines did with their mileage plus program under Jeff Smisek after the Continental Airlines merger.

Pre-merger, long time high revenue UA passengers received many benefits -- written and unwritten -- as a nod to their loyalty. That included things like free operational upgrades to 1st class, waivers of various penalty rules, and little acknowledgements by the crew on board. Sounds like NCL may have been similar, with upgrades handled opaquely through a phone line that wasn't actively promoted to infrequent travelers [sorry if I have that wrong from what I've read].

Post merger, everything quickly became more rigid and shifted to nickle and dime monetization. Part of that corresponded with the general race to the bottom in the airline industry, (e.g. involving things like checked bag fees, elimination of meals and pillows, etc.). But much of it was just that management team being penny-wise, pound-foolish. The most notable example was so-called "time of departure" or TOD upgrades for purchase, which started being offered to NON-STATUS passengers for less than they were offered to high status passengers (read about it in the UA forum on Flyertalk if it's of interest). A college kid who flew the airline once a year might be offered a seat in first class for $49 during online check-in, while a three million mile flyer who had put in a request to upgrade using an award certificate they'd earned (by spending half their waking hours in a United seat, at the cost of $xxx,xxx in annual spend) wouldn't have that instrument clear and wouldn't be offered a paid upgrade at all, or would be offered the same seat for $499. This was coupled with fewer award seats being offered, reservations agents on the elite phone lines becoming less flexible, and the on-board product generally being downgraded.

The result? Many high dollar flyers jumped to other airlines -- notably American and Delta. That hit United in their PRASM figures (revenue per seat mile), which led to several bad quarters, which led to further erosion in on-board quality (no more pillows, no more blankets, no more meals in domestic first on some flights, etc.). The experience for everybody began to suffer. Yes, UA got that extra $49 for the 1st class seat they might have previously given away, but they lost untold $xxx,xxx in individual spend from hundreds if not thousands of disgruntled high mileage flyers.

So what's my point here? Yes, NCL has a new system that lets everyone compete for upgrades based on what they are prepared to spend, which is going to maximize upgrade revenue and minimize the number of free upgrades being handed out / sold for less to high dollar customers. Yes, OP is asking for those cabins to be handed out based on historical spend, and perhaps at levels that are less than what an infrequent cruiser on this sailing might spend. But if you are a fan of this cruise line, and if you want the on board service level to remain high, you want NCL to continue to attracting high dollar customers and want them to keep them happy. You do not want them to monetize everything at a what-the-market-will-bear, ala carte model.

In any industry, it's much easier to strip benefits (written and unwritten) than it is to restore them -- once you've established a revenue stream, you have to explain to your board / stockholders why you're going to give up on that revenue and start giving it away for free for unquantifiable "loyalty." If too many big(ger) fish like OP start walking over inflexible approaches to things like upgrades, you risk all your perks being eroded.

Your mileage may vary.

Thank you for that interesting read. If this is a similar case, and I'm not sure it is as I also don't know how upgrades were dealt with before this system (it seemed to be more random than status-based), it'll be interesting to see in a few years time how the company is affected.

I don't see anything wrong with what the OP is asking. He wants to upgrade his remaining cabins to the Haven but wants to be reassured that It will happen for ALL of the cabins. He has given a lot of business to NCL and I feel that should be considered .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Again thanks to everyone for their interest in this post. Especially thanks to the person who gave me Andy Stuart's email address. NCL and I have worked something out that we are both very comfortable with. I don't think it would have been done without CC helping me get to the right person. I had googled trying to get email or phone numbers and had had no luck other than generic information. Should have tried CC a week ago.

toyotaford, I'll give you a glimmer of hope. On my cruise in December I was introduced to a new NCL upsell tactic, at least to me. I was booked in a 2br and had been watching the higher suites closely, I was very confident all Haven except one GV were sold, the one GV kept going in and out of inventory. At about day 45 all suites disappeared from inventory. My ship was not bidding, so at six weeks out I contacted upsell to express my interest in the GV or any OS that might open up and was told they were not making/taking offers at that time, but they would keep me in mind. I called again at five weeks and was told the same, but at four weeks I was told they now had names in all the Haven cabins and nothing further could be done. Once on the ship I met two other couples that were trying to move from 2br's to the GV through upsell and also the people who got the GV. They were not even booked on the cruise and received a cold call offering a deal at four weeks out. The call came from an unknown person at NCL, not their PCC. They had at least 25 NCL cruises, many in the GV, so they were on some sort of short list.

I am not anywhere near your spending level, but have sailed in suites many times on NCL, most often paying full price. My new-to-me "senior" PCC nor upsell had any information on who or how this contact is made. So far I have been unwilling to book on ships with the bidding system in place. On my last two attempts to follow through with a booked cruise I have not been able to figure out who makes these offers and have cancelled after talking to anyone I could about moving to an unsold higher suite, hoping I might get a last minute call. So far nothing.

This mystery caller might have been a one time fluke or part of a test program. I can see they would want to keep it discreet, unlike the old upsell department which remained available by phone even after it became public. Regardless, it looks like it was only used for last minute offers which may not help your situation. I see how this would be difficult to do in a bidding situation, but perhaps it might be used to solicit certain customers even after bids are taken. The problem for NCL is that if they start making these offers too frequently to their "best" customers they might end up with a customer who might not ever book until they get a "deal". Best of luck with your endeavor.

Again thanks to everyone for their interest in this post. Especially thanks to the person who gave me Andy Stuart's email address. NCL and I have worked something out that we are both very comfortable with. I don't think it would have been done without CC helping me get to the right person. I had googled trying to get email or phone numbers and had had no luck other than generic information. Should have tried CC a week ago.

I was pretty confident you would. Good for you. Have fun.

Thank you for all your post. Both the nice ones and the not so nice ones. That's what makes CC so interesting. I had an email from Andy Stuart waiting for me when I woke up this morning and a call from me PCC before I left home. They are considering what I am asking. That was all I was asking. To have them look at it.

Good luck! I do hope you get what you are asking for and with their saying they are looking into it, would give me more hope that they are just reconfirming your e-mail.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Was part of the agreement that you would not disclose the details of the agreement? Because if not, we are entitled to know. :p

It was somewhere between nothing - and me and anyone I want to bring can cruise the Haven free for the rest of my life:D:D

Actually there was no agreement not to disclose. I know that NCL monitors these boards and if they choose to disclose that would be fine with me. I will say I didn't get everything I asked for a week ago and NCL conceded more than they said they would a week ago so we both gave some. I am very pleased with what I got and the speed with which they got everything handled this morning makes me think it was not difficult to get something accomplished once the right people got involved. Again thanks to the person that gave me the email address of Mr. Stuart.

toyotaford, I'll give you a glimmer of hope. On my cruise in December I was introduced to a new NCL upsell tactic, at least to me. I was booked in a 2br and had been watching the higher suites closely, I was very confident all Haven except one GV were sold, the one GV kept going in and out of inventory. At about day 45 all suites disappeared from inventory. My ship was not bidding, so at six weeks out I contacted upsell to express my interest in the GV or any OS that might open up and was told they were not making/taking offers at that time, but they would keep me in mind. I called again at five weeks and was told the same, but at four weeks I was told they now had names in all the Haven cabins and nothing further could be done. Once on the ship I met two other couples that were trying to move from 2br's to the GV through upsell and also the people who got the GV. They were not even booked on the cruise and received a cold call offering a deal at four weeks out. The call came from an unknown person at NCL, not their PCC. They had at least 25 NCL cruises, many in the GV, so they were on some sort of short list.

I am not anywhere near your spending level, but have sailed in suites many times on NCL, most often paying full price. My new-to-me "senior" PCC nor upsell had any information on who or how this contact is made. So far I have been unwilling to book on ships with the bidding system in place. On my last two attempts to follow through with a booked cruise I have not been able to figure out who makes these offers and have cancelled after talking to anyone I could about moving to an unsold higher suite, hoping I might get a last minute call. So far nothing.

This mystery caller might have been a one time fluke or part of a test program. I can see they would want to keep it discreet, unlike the old upsell department which remained available by phone even after it became public. Regardless, it looks like it was only used for last minute offers which may not help your situation. I see how this would be difficult to do in a bidding situation, but perhaps it might be used to solicit certain customers even after bids are taken. The problem for NCL is that if they start making these offers too frequently to their "best" customers they might end up with a customer who might not ever book until they get a "deal". Best of luck with your endeavor.

Very interesting. I have definitely never gotten a call like that. Like you I usually pay the asking price for my cruises. This is the 3rd time in 7 years I have tried to call the upsell department. The first time I made an offer and they countered and I accepted. The second time I made an offer and they didn't accept and didn't counter. A month later the room went down $5000 less than my offer had been. Needless to say I jumped on it. And this was the third time. Usually we have to plan our trips ahead of time around work schedules but are slowly getting to the point where our sons are doing more at the dealerships and we can take spur of the moment trips so would love to get a call like the one you describe.

Woohoo congrats OP! I'm glad you were able to work something out. I find it noble that you would go out of your way to give the best cruise vacation experience for your guests. I don't see it as entitled at all because you really don't have to do anything. I would feel very blessed if someone went out of their way to put my family in a haven suite. Enjoy your vacation!

Woohoo congrats OP! I'm glad you were able to work something out. I find it noble that you would go out of your way to give the best cruise vacation experience for your guests. I don't see it as entitled at all because you really don't have to do anything. I would feel very blessed if someone went out of their way to put my family in a haven suite. Enjoy your vacation!

Thank you for your kind words.

And just to clear up any confusion, and it really doesn't really make any difference, but I'm a she not a he. (Several references have been made in posts to he.)

Thank you for your kind words.

And just to clear up any confusion, and it really doesn't really make any difference, but I'm a she not a he. (Several references have been made in posts to he.)

Dear Toyota Ford,

So, just like someone else asked, What was the final deal between you and Norwegian? Did you get all of your Haven Cabins? If so, how much did you Pay? Did Norwegian temporarily suspend their Upgrade Advantage program just for You?

In all of your previous posts, you were very lengthy with a few paragraphs. Since you and Norwegian came to an agreement, you have only posted a few sentences. Please give us some details.

I've had bids on haven rooms for that particular sailing for almost 80 days. Bad luck for me...

Not really. You have the same options as the OP and maybe one more. You can

stick with your bid. You can call your NCL rep. You can escalate it to the same email the OP used and in your proposal you can mention how you know NCL made an exception with their process in place to accommodate a loyal cruiser and you would like the same consideration.

Just like the OP you can use all the resources you can find and have the added benefit of being able to point to a specific situation and demand the same treatment. It probably only has a chance of working if you have an actual track record with NCL but worth a shot either way.

And this, friends, is just one of the many reasons why the OP has successful businesses and can spend a million on cruises in a few years.

I have a cruise to get ready for so I am signing off this thread. Thanks for some interesting post. I will not disclose the final agreement but I will say that all my guest will be in the Haven and I did pay full "sticker" price for some of the "upgrades". I was not expecting to get the $21,000 reduced to $5,000 or even $10,000. I spent $1500 more than I was planning on spending but feel NCL and I both got a fair deal. Hope everyone continues to have safe and good travels.