How was it the first time you did it?

Jamericannn

I was never nervous before my first cruise. But, I was beyond excited! I'm pretty sure that I drove everyone in my life crazy with my excitement. Now, they just kind of know that I'm a cruise addict, and that I'm always planning a cruise...um...cruises. ;-)

I wasn't nervous at all my first cruise actually. While in the Army my friend said let's do something over Christmas and I was like sure, like what? He said how bout a cruise and I was like yea that sounds like fun. He had done some cruises with his family before, I hadn't. Booked everything and it went off pretty smoothly. I was less nervous on that one than I am for all the other ones I've done since.

We were on the Big Red boat for our first cruise.

The motion thing was never a problem for me, but it was for my DW. I taught her the age old trick of looking out to the horizon, not directly down at the ship's wake and wash. It worked like a charm!

Just think of the new and wonderful places you will never see in the States!

Sit back and relax to a new experience!;)

Our first was last year. Cruising wasn't a vacation I had ever really wanted to do or even thought of, but a couple members of my wife's family are frequent cruisers and asked us to go with them. I still wasn't very amp'd up about it, but went along with it for the sake of my wife & son (they were excited to try this new experience). In the end, I'm glad we went because we loved it. We booked our second cruise last month, but the downside is, it isn't for another year. Still very excited though. We're taking different members of her family this time, along with their 3 kids. We hope they enjoy it as much as we did.

First time was solo :')
Are we talking about your first cruise?

Nobody told me solo can count as the first time. That changes everything! :D

Edited by Organized Chaos

It was my honeymoon. DW and I were excited, but nervous.... really only nervous with transportation to the pier.... we were like.... what if the flight is delayed.... OK how will we know where to go to get on the buses carnival will provide.... will there be someone at the plane... or a sign pointing somewhere..... what about our luggage?

My first time, taking a cruise, was in 2011. I was 19. It was a year delayed high school graduation gift. My older cousin's had been on 3-4 before my first, and they were talking about how fun they always were. So my parents paid my way along with half of my cousin's way to take me, because they were too chicken. I went with a group of about 25 people. One of my cousins job would take the entire company on a cruise each year, so we cruised along with them. I was nervous when we pulled up at port. I was talking about not boarding. Once I stepped on board, I have been hooked ever since. Cruise number 6 leave in exactly TWO MONTHS!!!

For my first cruise I wasn't excited or nervous or hardly anything. I was distracted. We had gotten some kind of package thing that my husband had arranged, so we were at a beach for a few days, probably Daytona, then drove to Tampa for a 4 day cruise. Our three sons were tweens, so I was busy with them, and work at the office, getting ready for a long vacation, making sure we all had what we needed for a beach vacation, kind of leaving the cruise to take care of itself. So once the cruise was over, I looked back and said, Whoa, that was one heck of a great 4 days. So much to do, so much I missed, so many people waiting on me, so many opportunities to try something new, so many opportunities to let someone else worry, so many opportunities lost. SO I said we gotta do that again and I gotta be ready! Second cruise I was beside myself with anticipation and excitement, and with each subsequent cruise it gets worse. So I envy your cruisemates who are nervous and excited. They are ready for their virgin voyage.

First time I was 13 and grandma said if I paid my way she'd take me and my brother to Europe for 3 weeks. I worked for my dad every Saturday and all summer so I had the money. She picked the Queen Elizabeth.

Our cabin did not have a bathroom in it, it was down the hall. We got lost after muster and ended up in the first class auditorium which was beautiful with red velvet drapes and seats like in a movie theater. We found our auditorium and it was a cabin sized room with metal folding chairs and a pull down screen on a stand.

Grandma made me play bingo after I had stayed in the auditorium too long watching a Peter Sellers movie. I let everyone go ahead of me hoping they'd run out of cards. I won $22.

Europe was fabulous. I took my kids when they were the same age on a near identical tour without the ship crossing.

My first was with 3 friends and we shared a room. When open, the cot was half under the vanity! We had about 150 pair of shoes between the 4 of us. There was no Cruise Critic so we stumbled our way through each port. Back then they had the mints on your pillow when you came back to the room. My one friend woke up many mornings with that mint melted into her cheek!!! That was the start of my addiction :D

I was ridiculously excited, to the point where I had set my alarm early so I could watch the ship come into the bay....my husband wasn't as excited but was looking forward to it too.

People wondered why I had booked a 12 day as my first one but to me...the more days at sea the better :), 12 stunning days in the Baltic.

I was in love the moment I stepped on board (Legend) even though it was a rather mild day in Dover in the UK.

I was 27.

Last year was our first cruise. 36 years old, and 36 years too late! I wish we would have done this all along! We were lucky that our first cruise was set up and paid for by my husband's work. Yes, we had to attend some meetings while on the ship, but it was a free trip and the meetings were only about an hour each day! They had everything planned, we just had to have fun! We booked our own excursions, but it was nice to be just us with no kids and figure out what cruising was all about. Now this year, we did all the planning, bringing the kids, and I feel ready for it because we did the trial run last year!

DH & I were married a year and had a travel agent for a friend who booked us on a 4 day aboard the RCCL Nordic Empress her maiden year. We booked the lowest interior cabin very late and our documents (mailed to us at that time) stated we were TBA on our cabin. Didn't understand cabin numbers worked like hotel numbers, so didn't recognize we were on the 8th (of 9) floors with a giant picture window! We thought we were the king & queen of the cruise! Had a blast! Did a few cruises every so often, but used most of our vacation time to travel in the US, Europe and Africa. Now we almost exclusively cruise for vacation as we've done the touring thing for awhile.

We will be moving to Portugal this year for retirement as soon as our house sells and will begin the touring of Old World Europe again after that. We will probably cruise less, but that's ok.

My first time was with the wonderful woman who is now my wife of 22 years! We weren't actually married yet, but at the time we just went ahead and did it. We were both a bit anxious more so than nervous. We knew we were gonna want to do it for a long time.

Looking back from that day we never regretted it. It was awesome on has been since.

We are actually going to do it again on the Magic next weekend! I'm a lucky guy[emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Were you nervous? Were you excited? How old were you? How many people did you do it with?

I know many people are eager and nervous at the same time when they go on their first cruise. I remember all the excitement and anticipation but I wasn't nervous at all. My inlaw is coming on this cruise with us and she is nervous as this will be her first time sailing on water. She has never even been on a boat. I would love to hear how you felt when you first cruised.

I was 17yrs old when I took my 1st cruise (Princess cruise line) and I was very excited. It was a graduation gift from my grand mother and it was 5 of us my grandparents, aunt, cousin, and I. Now here it is 35 years later i'm taking my 2nd cruise and my husbands 1st and I am OVERLY EXCITED! I feel like a kid in a candy store ;)

For my first cruise I wasn't excited or nervous or hardly anything. I was distracted. We had gotten some kind of package thing that my husband had arranged, so we were at a beach for a few days, probably Daytona, then drove to Tampa for a 4 day cruise. Our three sons were tweens, so I was busy with them, and work at the office, getting ready for a long vacation, making sure we all had what we needed for a beach vacation, kind of leaving the cruise to take care of itself. So once the cruise was over, I looked back and said, Whoa, that was one heck of a great 4 days. So much to do, so much I missed, so many people waiting on me, so many opportunities to try something new, so many opportunities to let someone else worry, so many opportunities lost. SO I said we gotta do that again and I gotta be ready! Second cruise I was beside myself with anticipation and excitement, and with each subsequent cruise it gets worse. So I envy your cruisemates who are nervous and excited. They are ready for their virgin voyage.

Yes being busy before a cruise can be a good thing. It keeps you from watching the countdown clock and let you focus on other things. I think because my first cruise was a 7 day cruise it spoilt me. Hard for me to do anything less especially traveling from NY to the ports I love.