Everything.. Norwegian BLISS! - launch April 2018 -

Help me understand the significance of the keel laying ceremony vs. the block we've seen under construction.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The "laying of the keel" and the placement of the ceremonial coin marks the beginning of the actual construction. Up to know the puzzle pieces have been built, NOW all the puzzle pieces will be fitted together to form the ship.

Have I seen some posting of the event just a few minutes ago.

Very big day for Norwegian today in addition with the ribbon cutting and formal opening of Pier 66 of the completion of the renovations in Seattle, WA- The Bliss's Summer Home.

The "laying of the keel" and the placement of the ceremonial coin marks the beginning of the actual construction. Up to know the puzzle pieces have been built, NOW all the puzzle pieces will be fitted together to form the ship.

Very big day for Norwegian today in addition with the ribbon cutting and formal opening of Pier 66 of the completion of the renovations in Seattle, WA- The Bliss's Summer Home.

Thanks for explaining that in more detail. I had always wondered about the differences. And you're right. A very big day for NCL. [emoji846]

Be glad you are not Andy Stuart right now:

He flies from Miami, Florida to Papenberg, Germany (26 miles from the North Sea), then he flies to China to join The Joy as She completes Her journey to China. In China they will have the Dedication Ceremony. After that it is back to Miami.

He flies from Miami, Florida to Papenberg, Germany (26 miles from the North Sea), then he flies to China to join The Joy as She completes Her journey to China. In China they will have the Dedication Ceremony. After that it is back to Miami.

Be glad you are not TheDougOut right now:

He's sitting at a desk.

Especially given he's flying economy with some ******* in front lowering his seat back.... [emoji848][emoji848][emoji6][emoji6][emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

With Meyer Werft's technology there's almost a quarter of a ship built when the ceremony takes place, from keel (the engine/shaft block) up to deck 15 or 16 with Bliss.

In the past they hoisted a welded section onto the coin but with the current pace the ceremony is a bit outdated as an actual start of the build, at Meyer Werft.

A view into the secondary building hall, where the construction of the blocks is taking place;

a408218d62564079b945274668bce5a0.png

Seems to be the black glassed Waterfront forward dining areas roof top frames? Parts/blocks come in at the top left, work towards the point of view, get lifted to the right and work back again to exit the building hall and via transport to the large building hall.

Custom built for Alaska. . . so wouldn't it make sense for it to winter in Boston or NYC??? Seems strange that it will winter in Miami. Will it have an indoor pool like the RCI ships do? That would also make sense for a custom made for Alaska ship. (though when i went to Alaska, in May 2014, it was plenty warm outside, that was probably unusual.

Custom built for Alaska. . . so wouldn't it make sense for it to winter in Boston or NYC??? Seems strange that it will winter in Miami. Will it have an indoor pool like the RCI ships do? That would also make sense for a custom made for Alaska ship. (though when i went to Alaska, in May 2014, it was plenty warm outside, that was probably unusual.

I'm strictly guessing on this, but could it be because when a ship sails out of NYC or Boston it limits itself to primarily East Coast passengers, whereas a ship out of South Florida will draw a larger customer base? There's a reason why Port Miami is the world's busiest cruise port, followed by Port Everglades and Port Canaveral.

I'm strictly guessing on this, but could it be because when a ship sails out of NYC or Boston it limits itself to primarily East Coast passengers, whereas a ship out of South Florida will draw a larger customer base? There's a reason why Port Miami is the world's busiest cruise port, followed by Port Everglades and Port Canaveral.

You are probably right, though the Gem out of NYC has passengers from all over the world, this country and Canada. I guess that more people would fly to Florida. Though when I've sailed out of Florida, the crowd has been more Florida based as well.. . . though still I guess it is safer to fly to Florida, in terms of weather, than to NYC as well. Perhaps in a couple of years it will head north. NYC will have the Escape after this coming winter. (Sad to loose the smaller ship, then we will have two mega ships. pout pout).

You are probably right, though the Gem out of NYC has passengers from all over the world, this country and Canada. I guess that more people would fly to Florida. Though when I've sailed out of Florida, the crowd has been more Florida based as well.. . . though still I guess it is safer to fly to Florida, in terms of weather, than to NYC as well. Perhaps in a couple of years it will head north. NYC will have the Escape after this coming winter. (Sad to loose the smaller ship, then we will have two mega ships. pout pout).

I agree with you on the smaller ships; my wife and I sailed the Star in 2015 and had a blast. It was our best vacation (and best cruise) yet