Using the Theatre on formal evenings

emel2

This is a joke, right?

Not really! All cruise lines have their "Shtick". With Cunard, it's to follow a dress code that harkens back to the classic days of ocean liner travel. We choose to travel this line for that reason. If you can't/won't follow the dress codes, you are urged to choose a less formal line, of which there ARE many. There are pax on this site who will ask Cunard staff to enforce the nightly dress code. You may include me as one of those.

Last August on Queen Victoria when we exited the theatre on a formal night we saw a guy coming out wearing orange shorts and ugg boots. People did look and tut but he was clearly unbothered by it. He was simply wearing what he wanted when he wanted and stuck out like a sore thumb.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Salacia

What concerns me (as a loyal Cunard-only passenger) is this; if casual wear (Blazers or Tweed Jackets) becomes acceptable on Formal Evenings, then the next stage is the theatre and bars being outside of the formal "ship-wide" dress-code area.

Before we know it, "formal" will be "dining rooms only" and the majority of people will be changing after eating.

Then it will be short sleeve shirts on "formal nights"... and then, within a few years, a clean T-shirt and shorts being the only requirement.

At some point, given the scenario above, Cunard will become just another cruise line (and I'll stop sailing).

If one wishes to ignore the set dress-code in the areas of a Cunard ship where "formal wear" is currently required, then there is no lack of choice of many other ships where a passenger would fit right in, and not have to worry about looking out of place. I would suggest to anyone that is uncomfortable with a formal dress-code, that they should look at booking one of those and leave Cunard as is, thank you.

Very best wishes to you Salacia :) .

Hi Pepper.

Yes! I remember my first cruise on a Line other than Cunard. The dress code was formal, so I dressed in a simple black gown and my husband wore a traditional tuxedo. We dined in the main dining room and there were not more that 4 other passengers dressed in formal attire. Clearly, the published dress code meant nothing on that ship. Funny thing, it wasn't just the dress code that was "relaxed" but other standards were also relaxed.

My main concern when taking an ocean voyage is safety, and I believe QM2 to be the safest ocean liner at sea :) I also appreciate the decorum exhibited by passengers, officers and crew. I find it to be a very pleasant environment and enjoy the company.

Best Regards,

Salacia

Hey! I took my first Cunard cruise last year and would definitely not try to go to the theatre in less than formal wear.

I had no idea how seriously the cunarders take their dress code but they really do! Honestly I found it a bit of a pain.

Ive written about my experience with it all here, http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/11/08/cunard-dress-code-what-to-wear/ may help if you're like I was and had never cruised Cunard before. Quite an experience!

Have a fabulous time :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On a previous Cunard QE not all of the few were overlooked.

On a formal night from the position of our box, we noted two central rows containing many underdressed guests. I called for the Hostest to attend and pointed out the culprits. They were not removed, but all received a dress code warning, being the acts sitting with friends and family.

Think on next cruise, one will make a concerted effort to stand near any of those not appropriately dressed, and call for security to remove them. (Pigeons, the, amongst, cat)

This should send a clear message to Cunard and those not respecting other guests who have made the effort to adhere to the dress code.

Personally I find this rather OTT. Yes, they may have been incorrectly dressed but I don't think it is your role to act as 'judge and jury'. It is the ship's decision what to accept and what to challenge IMO. You may disagree with what they do but why give yourself angst worrying about what others wear.

I would like to point out I love the formal look and have travelled on Cunard a few times, so I would not be a passenger who was informally dressed on formal evening. I just think it is a step a bit far for other passengers to be 'dobbing in' others. The sky will not fall in and the general ambience is still formal despite the odd passenger not following to the letter.

Personally I find this rather OTT

Poe's Law applies here. To slightly misquote it, sometimes a parody is so accurate you can't tell it from the real thing unless there's a smiley or other obvious sign.

Edited by kentchris

Poe's Law applies here. To slightly misquote it, sometimes a parody is so accurate you can't tell it from the real thing unless there's a smiley or other obvious sign.

True - but was there a smiley????

My first thought was it was a joke but then the doubt set in :)

why give yourself angst.

No angst, but taking great pressure in making a clear unambiguous statement to Cunard et al. Thereby leaving security (Cunard) with the decision, in full view of the whole theatre, to remove miscreants with a invitation to leave, or not.

The underdressed enter the QE/QV theatres, either by being wrongly allowed entry at the top of the theatre stairways, or deliberately sneak in through lower level entrances used for those booking a private box.

The top of the box entrance stairway is policed, but after the box entrance stairway, the subsequent corridor and theatre entrance is not. Cunard do note.

In essence, the underdressed should not be seated in the theatre. So their removal is legitimate.

On the issue about other cruise lines, why don't we say here instead of "go elsewhere", please come along on Cunard, dress formally and you will love it? Let's appear to be inclusive and fair minded while encouraging and extolling formal wear rather than be so discouraging and putting up the "you are not wanted" attitude.

M-AR

Actually, there have been several on this board who have suggested to the moaners that they might just like formal nights if they give it a try. Some of those who were reluctant to dress formally have later commented that they did, in fact, enjoy the experience.

For my first 14 years on this board I didn't comment, as others did, that people who express a dislike of dressing for dinner should go elsewhere because I felt it would sound rude. But I have since noticed that there is a polite way of suggesting that people may be more comfortable on another cruise line.

The fact that Cunard has "dumbed down" the dress code in recent years has made it easier for people to accept the current definition of formal. I do not consider a suit to be formal but, of course, it is perfectly acceptable these days and I have never heard anyone make an adverse comment or a sneer at a man in a suit as opposed to a tuxedo.

As I found on a Holland America cruise in 2015, their definition of formal was reduced to include (in addition to the obvious definition) a jacket or tie. This was not enforced or adhered to be a large minority of men. As I said a while back, on one formal night two young chaps came to dinner wearing T-shirts and baseball caps. Shortly after that cruise, "formal" was replaced with "gala" and the dress code amended further. Thankfully, Cunard is a long way from this.

This thread is truly one of the funniest I have ever read. The expression of importance of appearances without regard to content and character makes for a wonderful read!

On the plus side, this place attracts cruisers who are remarkably serious about their cruising. Most passengers likely understand that while a prettily-wrapped package is lovely, what matters is what's inside.

No need to expand on the content and character of the underdressed. By their antisocial acts of first deliberately ignoring the Cunard dress code, then deliberately sneaking into the theatre, and deliberately taking a seat, actually says it all.

This thread is truly one of the funniest I have ever read. The expression of importance of appearances without regard to content and character makes for a wonderful read!

On the plus side, this place attracts cruisers who are remarkably serious about their cruising. Most passengers likely understand that while a prettily-wrapped package is lovely, what matters is what's inside.

Of course that is true. But if someone is invited to a function, say a banquet or wedding, and the invitation states formal, it is considered rude to show up in attire that by no stretch of the imagination could be considered formal - even if not as disrespectful as the aforementioned T-shirt and baseball cap.

One of the many joys of cruising or crossing with Cunard is the formal evenings. No-one will put a gun to anyone's head and force them up the gangway.

Recently on QM2, Syd to HK, disembarked last weekend. Plenty of non compliance with dress codes, shorts etc in theatre at night, formal and non formal nights, Track suit tops in Britannia Restaurant at night.

I saw no enforcement.

All a joke really.

Edited by NSWP

Recently on QM2, Syd to HK, disembarked last weekend. Plenty of non compliance with dress codes, shorts etc in theatre at night, formal and non formal nights, Track suit tops in Britannia Restaurant at night.

I saw no enforcement.

All a joke really.

Really? I am a bit surprised in one way, but perhaps not in another as I have found that staff on board do not like to confront the paying passengers. I would have thought that the tracksuit tops would have been picked up at the door to the MDR though.

Personally I don't think it is the passenger's role to pick out those not compliant and get staff to challenge them and I certainly would not do it. It seems a tad petty to me. I would prefer that to make a comment to the maitre d' or hostess on leaving expressing disappointment that the dress code had not been actively promoted if there had been no good reason for the dress in question.

Hi Lakesregion. I know we have discussed this before, so please excuse me for repeating myself. But apparently, on QM2, the formal dress code does not apply to Kings Court, the Carinthia Lounge or G32. [source https://ask.cunard.com/help/life-on-board/enforced_dresscode ] -S.

I've seen that, but G32 is the worst place to be if dressed casually, given the necessary route.

By the time I get into the G32 it's usually the next day anyway.:D:D

Really? I am a bit surprised in one way, but perhaps not in another as I have found that staff on board do not like to confront the paying passengers. I would have thought that the tracksuit tops would have been picked up at the door to the MDR though.

Personally I don't think it is the passenger's role to pick out those not compliant and get staff to challenge them and I certainly would not do it. It seems a tad petty to me. I would prefer that to make a comment to the maitre d' or hostess on leaving expressing disappointment that the dress code had not been actively promoted if there had been no good reason for the dress in question.

The problem arises when pax, such as yourself continue to ignore the issue, it just gets worse. Cunard will start to feel that pax don't care anymore. Well some of us DO care!! This IS one of the reasons we like the cruise line. If I wanted a casual line, I'd choose Carnival/NCL.

There is more to sailing on a cunard ship then just dressing up you know. As for Cunard thinking the passengers don't care anymore, a couple of people wearing jeans among hundreds done up like fish suppers isn't going to cause an uproar in the boardroom.

There is more to sailing on a cunard ship then just dressing up you know. As for Cunard thinking the passengers don't care anymore, a couple of people wearing jeans among hundreds done up like fish suppers isn't going to cause an uproar in the boardroom.

I might point out a very old but sage story about how for want of a nail a kingdom was lost.

It only takes a few posers to water down the atmosphere and then others follow their lead and all of a sudden we have NCL in all is work dungarees with hammer loops, backwards hats and a social conversation level equal to third grade recess. Not what I look for in Cunard so please stop with the "lets all lighten up" routine of way too many in society today.

I might point out a very old but sage story about how for want of a nail a kingdom was lost.

It only takes a few posers to water down the atmosphere and then others follow their lead and all of a sudden we have NCL in all is work dungarees with hammer loops, backwards hats and a social conversation level equal to third grade recess. Not what I look for in Cunard so please stop with the "lets all lighten up" routine of way too many in society today.

I checked with Cunard, re wearing a blazer, with shirt, tie and dress pants on formal nights and was told that was acceptable. A far cry from dungarees and backwards hat. I also think that assuming a persons intelligence and social skills are defined by their wardrobe is insulting and elitist. Some men in tuxedos are socially inept but that does not make them a lessor person. DO NOT JUDGE A BOOK BY IT'S COVER.

Bit surely you can read the published dress code well enough to know the difference between the standard for a formal night and a blazer, with shirt, tie and dress pants.

One aspect of Cunard's Britishness is that they are very indirect in a formal setting and seldom inform a guest as to their shortcomings, but that doesn't necessarily excuse the shortcoming.

The problem arises when pax, such as yourself continue to ignore the issue, it just gets worse. Cunard will start to feel that pax don't care anymore. Well some of us DO care!! This IS one of the reasons we like the cruise line. If I wanted a casual line, I'd choose Carnival/NCL.

I think you may have misunderstood my comment. I did not say to ignore the issue, what I did say was that I thought it better to let the maitre d' or whoever know as you leave, not become a judge and jury at the time insisting (and that is what was suggested) that the offending passengers be removed from the area. I said I would not do that as a personal choice; if others want to nothing is stopping them from making the point at the time.

I enjoy the atmosphere of Cunard, although I would hazard a guess that the TA trips are more formal than holiday sailings or even world cruise legs.