NCL increasing daily service charge

rjm11

Yes, a forum member did report it, and you'll notice we gave credit in our story. Our editorial staff has nothing to do with thread removal. "No surprise as to why" -- I'm curious what you think the reason was, as we frequently hear about news from you guys first and always give shout-outs in our content when that's the case.

And when someone responds to you, have the courtesy to reply.

Manners.

Couple of things I learned from a recent cruise confirmed by another guest who had an officer relation on board and a member of the Entertainment staff who had family on board whom we new.

1. Money collected from the DSC is not automatically passed on to staff, Waiting on, stewards or those in the bowels of the ships. They have some pretty demanding targets to hit before qualifying and it seems NCL can be 'vigorous' in applying these standards. As to what happens to the money withheld nothing was said.

2. All those nationalities where tipping at this sort of level is not customary (mainly Europeans) can have the DSC removed by requesting so at reception. There is a form to fill out and a reason has to be given but as I understand it the procedure is straightforward. It was implied that US citizens 'ought to know better' about these charges and will often be given the runaround and made to jump through hoops at the desk when making this request. If it is done on-board before the end of the cruise it will be applied to the on board account before dis-embarkation.

3. It was also implied that NCL apply a % fee (not know how much) for collecting this money on behalf of the crew.

Clearly it is not fair that NCL should treat US citizens less favorably than others.

The time has come for NCL to add these charges to their advertised rates and do away with the uncertainty and double dealing with their guests.

This is so well said -

Couple of things I learned from a recent cruise confirmed by another guest who had an officer relation on board and a member of the Entertainment staff who had family on board whom we new.

1. Money collected from the DSC is not automatically passed on to staff, Waiting on, stewards or those in the bowels of the ships. They have some pretty demanding targets to hit before qualifying and it seems NCL can be 'vigorous' in applying these standards. As to what happens to the money withheld nothing was said.

2. All those nationalities where tipping at this sort of level is not customary (mainly Europeans) can have the DSC removed by requesting so at reception. There is a form to fill out and a reason has to be given but as I understand it the procedure is straightforward. It was implied that US citizens 'ought to know better' about these charges and will often be given the runaround and made to jump through hoops at the desk when making this request. If it is done on-board before the end of the cruise it will be applied to the on board account before dis-embarkation.

3. It was also implied that NCL apply a % fee (not know how much) for collecting this money on behalf of the crew.

Clearly it is not fair that NCL should treat US citizens less favorably than others.

The time has come for NCL to add these charges to their advertised rates and do away with the uncertainty and double dealing with their guests.

If they add these charges to advertised rates we still won't know how when or if it gets to the crew in the amount we are charged

If they do a breakdown for us like carnival has on their website as to what $$ goes to mdr goes to steward etc I'm ok with that

Until then by suggesting ncl just add it to advertised rates all you are doing is paying more for your cruise and giving up the freedom to remove all or part of dsc My policy is never give up your rights when it comes to your money.

And you know very well that many will still hand the steward and wait staff extra cash.

All I ask is of ncl to give an accurate detailed breakdown of the $$ each staff person gets

They are deliberately not doing that

Ask yourself why?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is difficult if you are not familiar with the rules. They advertise per person rates, but they don't exist. The minimum one will pay for the room is the double of what they show. They don't show the taxes until you get to the checkout page. And, as you said, if you don't know about the DSC, you will only find out when it is time to pay. The honest and easy to understand way to advertise a "$1000 per person" room would be "$2500 for 1-2 people".

The only cruise line I know that comes close to that is DCL. You put in the number of guests, the cruise and on the very first screen you see the total for the entire cruise. I think you click into three or four screens, choosing a cabin, etc. before you get to that point with other lines. (And, as far as I have been able to tell, DCL never lies about the inventory on that first page; if they say a cruise is available for $4,000, there's actually a cabin available for that price).

Doesn't appear the Youtube BB codes are working correctly today, so you can go there with this link:

You still have to add gratuities, though. Since they are a fixed amount per day, there's no reason other cruise lines don't follow this method and include gratuities as well.

But then, maybe easy price comparisons are not their goal. ;)

Edited by fshagan

If they add these charges to advertised rates we still won't know how when or if it gets to the crew in the amount we are charged

If they do a breakdown for us like carnival has on their website as to what $$ goes to mdr goes to steward etc I'm ok with that

Until then by suggesting ncl just add it to advertised rates all you are doing is paying more for your cruise and giving up the freedom to remove all or part of dsc My policy is never give up your rights when it comes to your money.

And you know very well that many will still hand the steward and wait staff extra cash.

All I ask is of ncl to give an accurate detailed breakdown of the $$ each staff person gets

They are deliberately not doing that

Ask yourself why?

I agree with you. Also, If it's include in the fare, it's only a matter of time before people have forgotten they have already paid this, and be pressured/encouraged to tip above what has already been paid.

I agree with you. Also, If it's include in the fare, it's only a matter of time before people have forgotten they have already paid this, and be pressured/encouraged to tip above what has already been paid.

That is happening now.

Used to be you paid tip directly to the waiters, room stewards on the last night.

now you have the auto DSC added and people are still handing cash to the waiters and stewards in addition to the DSC.

People are also tipping on top of the 18% in Specialty restaurants and on drinks.

The tipping culture is really get out of hand.

Lois

That is happening now.

Used to be you paid tip directly to the waiters, room stewards on the last night.

now you have the auto DSC added and people are still handing cash to the waiters and stewards in addition to the DSC.

People are also tipping on top of the 18% in Specialty restaurants and on drinks.

Lois

I guess that means both NCL and the staff are making out like bandits.

I don't mind handing over an extra $1 when I get a drink. Usually, the bartender (or waiter) will remember and be a little quicker the next time I need a drink or be a bit more generous with the pour. And I don't mind giving the steward a few extra bucks if he brings me extra towels or ensures my ice bucket is full. The waiter who does a better-than-average job will probably get a few dollars, too.

That being said, I do keep in mind that I have already tipped these people through the DSC and the 18% gratuity on my "free" UBP, so I am not as inclined to tip or as generous with my tips as I was before the gratuities were "mandatory."

I do think they should include the DSC in the price of the cruise, since it really is part of the fare and not truly discretionary. But, I suppose by leaving it separate, they can post lower prices when they market.

That is happening now.

Lois

I was also told by the same source that if cash is given to individual crew members as a gratuity it has to surrendered to the department manager to 'be added to the pot' on pain of gross misconduct (dismissal).

Clearly cabin stewards can be a little more flexible with this than other staff but no shortage of internal security camera's on NCL ships.

I was also told by the same source that if cash is given to individual crew members as a gratuity it has to surrendered to the department manager to 'be added to the pot' on pain of gross misconduct (dismissal).

Clearly cabin stewards can be a little more flexible with this than other staff but no shortage of internal security camera's on NCL ships.

I guess if I decide to give a little extra tip to my cabin steward, I'll invite him into my cabin first, unless there are cameras there, too.:eek:

So what does this actually mean:

"To better address the demands of the enormously successful all-inclusive product aboard Norwegian Sky"

Looks like the bartenders are needing to work harder since the drinks are free, therefore NCL is going to add an increase to the DSC to pay them for their extra work load? If that's the case, the $15-$20 per day that we normally tip bartenders is already being covered by the increase in the DSC?

That is happening now.

Lois

Well not on our last cruise Brits and Europeans were removing the 18% bat tip!! and talking to one barman he said that it was almost every order including the restaurant.

We need to get a grip and understand the different cultures - I for one tip at 10% in the UK or 12.5%. I will NEVER tip beyond this

But even black cab drivers are saying that tipping by Londerners is a thing of the past.

I do not think this is correct based on what friends in NCL have told me. Indeed if you look at the brochure it talks of paying extra if you wish

I don't mind handing over an extra $1 when I get a drink. Usually, the bartender (or waiter) will remember and be a little quicker the next time I need a drink or be a bit more generous with the pour. And I don't mind giving the steward a few extra bucks if he brings me extra towels or ensures my ice bucket is full. The waiter who does a better-than-average job will probably get a few dollars, too.

That being said, I do keep in mind that I have already tipped these people through the DSC and the 18% gratuity on my "free" UBP, so I am not as inclined to tip or as generous with my tips as I was before the gratuities were "mandatory."

I do think they should include the DSC in the price of the cruise, since it really is part of the fare and not truly discretionary. But, I suppose by leaving it separate, they can post lower prices when they market.

Interesting. If you book in the UK the UBP is free and no service charge added ...........so being in business it is clear that the UBP service charges are added in the price of the cruise. Simple hard fact evidenced by the disparate pricing

I have heard this as well, but doubt it really happens. Who is going to really know what we tip in cash? :*

$20 where did you get that from

Try 11 day cruise for 4 people. anyway its not the point $20 multiplied by NCL passenger is huge

It's also not the point as at doesn't need to be paid by April (unless your cruise is in April).

Absolutely.

Personally, I think that tipping is a crazy practice. I totally disagree with the concept that you need tipping in order to get good service.

Tipping is quite rare in the U.K. these days, as the minimum wage means that staff get paid a decent wage. In my experience it has resulted in better service, as staff seem to take more pride in their jobs rather than just chasing tips.

I always find it a bit insulting when people suggest that a whole industry needs the incentive of a tip in order to be motivated to give good service. A decent wage and pride in a job done well is the best motivation.

I'd love all these charges to just be rolled into the fare, but there are reasons for it not happening (there are tax reasons i believe, as well as the problem of fares looking higher if one company does it). I hope it does happen one day, but before then I would always go for paying a set fee on top of my fare rather than having to wander round with envelopes on the last day.

This sums up the whole issue - it is a great summary and yes there are tax issues both UK and USA (its my job!!).