Is this a Scam.

Whilst unsubscribing from a thread, and being directed back to C/C site, pop-ups appeared with a message waiting.

Promotion and you have won $3000 worth of travel, with a company.

It asks to click on a box with a code.

I decided to ring the number, and spoke to a person, who continually tried to encourage me to click on the code box.

While I stalled him, I continually went back to e-mails and unsubscribed from them, and the same thing happened, only with different codes for each.

I explained to him that, I had now won 4 promotions.

He was getting flustered, and tried to get me to log on to a website (www.resortq.com).

I proceeded to this site where he tried to encourage me to log-in with a number and password.

No way.

Any-one else with this problem, and does C/C know about this and are they associated with and endorsing this.

Admin, are you aware of this.

I also went to my profile messages and the same thing is there.

Many years ago late at night clicked on something like this. Lo and behold two days later received a call from US time share. I had won two weeks free accommodation in Florida. Told nice young lady I was turning it down citing air fare costs etc, she the asked me to hold and her supervisor came on the line to tell me I had a contract to accept this offer. He continued on for a while degenerating into bullying. I responded as I should have done in the beginning. Click, phone call disconnected.

Many years ago late at night clicked on something like this. Lo and behold two days later received a call from US time share. I had won two weeks free accommodation in Florida. Told nice young lady I was turning it down citing air fare costs etc, she the asked me to hold and her supervisor came on the line to tell me I had a contract to accept this offer. He continued on for a while degenerating into bullying. I responded as I should have done in the beginning. Click, phone call disconnected.

Seems to be the more you talk or try to reason with them the more aggressive they become. Like you I click off as soon as I realise its a scammer or a salesperson.

It is sad , as many charities and aid organisations used to rely on phone appeals for funds, but most have given that up now.

You cant even trust street appeals sometimes. :eek:

When I rang the number, the call centre seemed so busy with noise and chatter.

Easily done with a recording playing over and over again.

Just wanted to warn people, and maybe admin, but hey,

Plus the dude did become quite aggressive.

Give him a piece of your mind but not your time or money.

Anything you are not certain of dont click it

Ad blockers do very well to block these nasties but not all the time though

I still get an email atleast once a day saying inhertited 1 billion dollars or i have won the us lotteries

I currently using adguard 6.1 and its very good and simple to use

just ignore these to good to be true comps etc

I use adblock and dont get any pop ups.

I have been getting spam to my email asking for info on my Paypal........but they always spell something wrong, like Paye Pal or something!!! and I am over the contacts I get on Skype.....they are everywhere.

• Administrators

Hello,

Thanks for sharing this with us. I can tell you that we aren't serving up any specific popups like that.

My first thought is that these are being fired because you may have, in the past, visited a site that DOES employ those types of ads. However, I will share this with our AdOps team in the very slim chance that they may be able to pinpoint exactly where they are coming from. Thank you for providing the domain name, that is very helpful.

Laura

I have been getting spam to my email asking for info on my Paypal........but they always spell something wrong, like Paye Pal or something!!! and I am over the contacts I get on Skype.....they are everywhere.

Keep getting email to contact them or my pay pal account will be closed. I don't have a pay pal account so I figure go close it. Lol

Hello,

Thanks for sharing this with us. I can tell you that we aren't serving up any specific popups like that.

My first thought is that these are being fired because you may have, in the past, visited a site that DOES employ those types of ads. However, I will share this with our AdOps team in the very slim chance that they may be able to pinpoint exactly where they are coming from. Thank you for providing the domain name, that is very helpful.

Laura

Good work, let's hope that they can do something about it.

I get lots of spam email saying I have won something and then saying 'open this email to claim, this is not spam'. That just inspires me to delete.

Chez it appears that when you/I/we comment on a thread, it automatically subscribes you. Well it does in my case.

Go to your User control panel, then edit options, scroll down to Default thread subscription mode, drop down and choose" do not subscribe" that should fix it for you!!

Cheers will try that.:)

Otherwise you can go to your subscribed threads. Scroll down to where it says move to folder and you'll see the delete subscription option. Just tick everything you want to unsubscribe from, choose delete and GO!