LIVE ("lite") Explorer - 3/26 - 4/9

Travelcat2

We are booked in an Explorer Suite on the 2019 Panama Canal cruise - Suite 918 which has a nice wide balcony or at least it looks as though it does. If you have an idea as to how large this is compared to an Oceania Suite would you care to comment?? Thanks, Gerry

We are currently next door in 920, a former SS1 upgraded to an Explorer. I can't compare it to an Oceania Suite but I'm sure you will pleased with 918's balcony. Our balcony is the same size with the exception of the aft portion where it tapers down to the narrower width of the balconies aft of ours.

On another note, some folks have asked about soot problems. I was out on the walking/jogging track on deck 12 last night after an excellent dinner in Pacific Rim and noticed a pretty good bit of soot on the starboard side of the track adjacent to (and downwind of) the stacks. Could possibly have blown over onto some balconies below as well.

Jackie

Just so you know I was the "man" that closed the curtain last night. Your welcome.:)

John

John,

I finally "got it". You closed the curtain in P7. Thanks - it was a big help (and your steak looked delicious!:D)

I am currently on board the ship. The seas have been very rough. We are in the aft master suite. It feels like we are riding on a surfboard. We hit a wave and lost about 20 glasses that were inside a cupboard. All the sparkling water also fell off the bar. Our excellent butler Fernando, told us the same thing happened in Prime 7. The service has been outstanding. I would give the food an 8. The ship is truly beautiful. I just hope the seas calm down so we can enjoy our stunning balcony.

I am currently on board the ship. The seas have been very rough. We are in the aft master suite. It feels like we are riding on a surfboard. We hit a wave and lost about 20 glasses that were inside a cupboard. All the sparkling water also fell off the bar. Our excellent butler Fernando, told us the same thing happened in Prime 7. The service has been outstanding. I would give the food an 8. The ship is truly beautiful. I just hope the seas calm down so we can enjoy our stunning balcony.

Chrissy

Your other Regent birthday twin here, hope you enjoy the rest of the cruise and a belated Happy Birthday.

We are boarding in Barcelona; are you staying on or flying home from Barcelona.

SueX.

Hi Sue and Happy Birthday! We will be staying on until Venice...lucky us. The ship continues to roll. I have now gotten horizontal in hopes of not vomiting:eek:. I have a Scop patch on plus wrist bands. Ugh

We celebrated our birthdays at Prime 7. The food was excellent as was the service. We have been to Pacific Rim twice and loved it. The lobster tempura is deelish! Tonight we go to Chartruese if vomiting does not ensue. Compass Rose seems different. The food was very good but it's missing the atmosphere of the old CR. It almost felt sterile. To be fair we only ate there once.

Looking forward to seeing you on board. Crisy

Hi Sue and Happy Birthday! We will be staying on until Venice...lucky us. The ship continues to roll. I have now gotten horizontal in hopes of not vomiting:eek:. I have a Scop patch on plus wrist bands. Ugh

We celebrated our birthdays at Prime 7. The food was excellent as was the service. We have been to Pacific Rim twice and loved it. The lobster tempura is deelish! Tonight we go to Chartruese if vomiting does not ensue. Compass Rose seems different. The food was very good but it's missing the atmosphere of the old CR. It almost felt sterile. To be fair we only ate there once.

Looking forward to seeing you on board. Crisy

Hope the weather improves for the rest of your TransAtlantic crossing

See you on board in Barcelona :)

Having done a transatlantic on Explorer last November, have to say that this sailing is much rougher (due to weather and going against the waves instead of with them -- not too different than a plane flying into the wind). I'm not taking seasick meds but my DH is wearing an electronic band. We are only on deck 8 -- not a bad as deck 12 in terms feeling the motion of the ocean. However, the four Master Suites are all feeling it quite a bit.

Although lunch in specialty restaurants have resumed (people line up for them 15 minutes in advance -- way different than on our previous Explorer cruises), if the seas stay this rough they will open CR tomorrow. Too many people having difficulty walking and would not do well in LV.

Dinner tonight is in Pacific Rim with a friend. Looking forward to sake!

P.S. crusin7 - our butler put our alcohol bottles on the floor (on a tray). One lamp did come away from the glue used to adhere it to the desk -- it fell over but didn't break. All fixed now. Loving the Master Suite - even with the movement.

P.S. crusin7 - our butler put our alcohol bottles on the floor (on a tray). One lamp did come away from the glue used to adhere it to the desk -- it fell over but didn't break. All fixed now. Loving the Master Suite - even with the movement.

Hi TC. The glasses that broke came out of the closed cupboard below the bar. Our wonderful room steward and stewardess were there when it happened. We all screamed! They called for help. The glass went everywhere. They had it cleaned including a carpet shampoo in 30 min. They were fantastic.

The master suite is stupendous. We have been lucky enough to stay in a master on all of Regent's ships. This one is the most impressive. While not necessary a grand piano makes quite a statement!

I so hope your seas die down soon. I feel your pain. In January while in the Tasman Sea going from Australia to New Zealand we had 80 mile an hour winds and 33 foot seas. We had to miss Milford Sound. It was so rough that 2 windows in compass rose broke out during breakfast. That day for lunch La veranda and pool deck were closed due to the conditions. So was Compass Rose due to clean up. Lunch was served in prime 7, Chartuese (whatever it is called..I don't eat there), and the lounge. I think many had room service staying in their rooms. By dinner, C R was back open and curtains drawn over the 2 boarded up windows. New windows installed at first port. They did an amazing job on the fly. Unfortunately, some passengers were quite sick but we don't get seasick luckily.

The swells are actually coming from our port aft. There is a strong storm in the Atlantic north of us. I pulled up some North Atlantic forecast charts and the wind is supposed to die down a little tomorrow but the swells are predicted to be higher, 20-21 ft. Also heard the same forecast for tomorrow from a crew member. Sunday looks to be very nice though. We will see.

The subject of dinner reminds us of "The Study". Is it still available for dinner? We read in the past that you were not too fond of the concept, but we subsequently had dinner there twice and enjoyed it.

Thankfully, no! We heard that it was going to be only for use of people in the Regent Suite (as if they want to eat in a closet instead of their magnificent suite). We walked through it on embarkation day and it was called a "private dining room". No clue what that means.

Dinner at Pacific Rim was amazing. I had soft shelled crab, duck spring rolls and lobster tempera (along with cold sake). Not sure which was better - the food or the company.

We have also heard that tomorrow will be better in terms of the sea, however, tonight could be a bit rough. I remember my first cruise (on a ship that no longer exists) when my DH told me to think of the bed as a cradle that is rocking you. That works for me (until I have to get out of bed and have to hold on to something).

Congrads to you master suite occupants. We've been there, done that. Wonderful experience! You are doing a beautiful job of weaving your master suite commentary effortlessly into your narratives. We are impressed. Keep reminding us please. It evokes lots of memories and, no doubt, stimulates lots of aspirations.

Beautiful Saturday morning. Seas smooth as glass, temperature 80 degrees and everyone is having a huge party.

Due to the date, I assume that no one took that last paragraph seriously.

Despite robbing but improving) seas, the weather has been nice, people are on the pool deck lying down so they don't feel the waves as much. Waves did put on quite a show outside of the Windows on deck 4 last night.

For those of you joining Explorer April 9th, as you know, top Regent management will be on board along with their families. John Barron is looking forward to seeing his wife and sons. It should be a great cruise.

For those of you joining Explorer April 9th, as you know, top Regent management will be on board along with their families. John Barron is looking forward to seeing his wife and sons. It should be a great cruise.

It really should make a difference who's on board, it should be a great cruise no matter if they are on or not.

Be sure to say "Hi" to John Barron for me! He's a great CD!

Will do - we had dinner with him last night and had a few chuckles about CC. Regent passengers love him. His show is tonight and he said that he wish he could quote a post I made a while ago "John Barron's show is not to be missed"........ Travelcat:D A great talent and a lovely man.

ronrick1943: The big difference is that a Town Hall Meeting will be held. This is an opportunity to ask Regent management anything that you want to know. This will likely include questions about the new ship, internet connections, whistling doors, etc. The service, food, etc. will be as great as it is now.

We are having internet connection issues. A Crystal customer said that he sailed the same route on Crystal and had no internet problems. I told him that we sailed the Explorer last November (same route) and we also did not have connectivity problems nor did we have seas anywhere near this rough. Every cruise is different. And, IMO, it is important to note that people aren't seasick (based on how crowded it is on the ship) - the rolling motion just makes it hard to walk. Everyone kind of staggers around and laughs. Really great vibe onboard.

Off for a mid-afternoon cocktail party that we were invited to in a Seven Seas Suite (I think that is our favorite suite).

ronrick1943: The big difference is that a Town Hall Meeting will be held. This is an opportunity to ask Regent management anything that you want to know. This will likely include questions about the new ship, internet connections, whistling doors, etc. The service, food, etc. will be as great as it is now.

Sorry didn't read it that way, it sounded like because some management was on the cruise the service would be better. A town hall is a great idea.

Rick

Dinner in CR was delicious. Since I ate a bit at the afternoon cocktail party, I wasn't ultra hungry but really enjoyed the scallops. The sorbet was also "new" - peanut butter and chocolate (had to have some for dessert). We have found our server and special spot in CR and are enjoying it. It is a bit quieter than other areas in CR.

Seas are calming down but when you look out of the window in CR, the swells seem to be 100 feet high (likely only 14-20 feet). The ultra-buffet brunch will take place as scheduled tomorrow (they plan for this event days in advance). I'll do my best to take some photos and do not plan on eating another morsel until the buffet opens in CR (guessing that will be 10:00 a.m. tomorrow). It is currently 8:30 p.m. but the clocks go ahead another hour tonight.

Going to get a seat on the front for John's show. I'll likely be waiting for 45 minutes but he is worth it (plus I have my Kindle to play games, read or whatever.

Not sure if I mentioned that Michael (he is wonderful) will depart the Explorer in Funchal. Andreas (love him to death - he took care of us when our luggage was lost for 10 days) will join the ship then. He will only be on for 1 1/2 months after which time Franck Galzy (another love of mine -- I seem to have strong feelings for G.M.'s - even Nicki - Regent's first female G.M.) While on the subject, John will depart the Explorer during the summer and will return at the end of September (approximately).

Going to stare at the theater doors now and wait until they open!

Well I'll be looking forward to reading and seeing your photos on the brunch, sounds good and can't wait to try it myself.

What's so great about John? Just wondering. Sounds like he'll be on the ship when we get on--you said he'll be back in September, we'll be on in November. The more I read the more I want to cruise Regent.

Rick

What is great about John? Well aside from the fact that he has a wicked(delicious) sense of humour, he is the most 'present' CD that I have ever run across, knows his guests, is always out and about onboard, he is hugely talented with great stage presence, a beautiful voice and a warm heart. I can't say enough about how much of a positive impact he makes on a cruise...Happily/sadly we won't be on the Explorer for a while, so hopefully we will have an equally great CD....and John, I really hope you are our CD for the Capetown to Capetown in December 2018 with your beautiful family!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

What is great about John? Well aside from the fact that he has a wicked(delicious) sense of humour, he is the most 'present' CD that I have ever run across, knows his guests, is always out and about onboard, he is hugely talented with great stage presence, a beautiful voice and a warm heart. I can't say enough about how much of a positive impact he makes on a cruise...Happily/sadly we won't be on the Explorer for a while, so hopefully we will have an equally great CD....and John, I really hope you are our CD for the Capetown to Capetown in December 2018 with your beautiful family!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You said I perfectly! He brings tears to my eyes (good tears). This is the only Regent show where I sit I in the front of the theater 45 minutes before show time so that I can feel him - his music - his comedy and even the love for his family (you have to see the show to understand). There are not enough words to explain what a wonderful, talented human being John is.

Sadly, we also will not be on Explorer for a long time as our travels will return us to the Voyager and Mariner. John will forever remain in our hearts!