LIVE ("lite") Explorer - 3/26 - 4/9

Travelcat2

John is my favorite ever CD. He is genuine and honestly friendly. And very talented.

Funny story--I had sailed with John as CD on a couple of cruises with my sons. So he had met both of them, but had never met George. So last year, on explorer, we board. George is standing waiting for me in the big open area (don't know what to call it--lobby, foyer) by the reception desk. John goes right up to George and says "you must be Jon's dad. You look just like him." What an amazing memory that guy has!

Well that sounds great, I'll be looking forward to seeing him---thanks for the information. Now TC, don't forget to write about the brunch-looking forward to that.

Brunch is in an hour - we wouldn't miss it! There will be a few modifications due to the still slightly rough seas (guessing that they won't put up anything that could fall over - like an ice sculpture). I will take pictures

Brunch was lovely. I took lots of pictures but only sent a few to "Z" as it does take time and effort to post on Cruise Critic. After 4 glasses of champagne, I suppose that I need to rest. Being a sashimi lover, I had a lot of it. I have a tip for those that will be attending the brunch on Explorer...... if/when you go to the crepe station, ask for the crepe to be done special (either not well done, or in our case, well done)..... this ensures that he/she makes your crepe to order and it is delicious.

Resting until the 2:00 p.m. lecture!

Husband and I were on The Explorer a week ago and have to agree about John. I was so impressed. He was everywhere. He made you feel like he was welcoming you to his home.

Our complaints were as others have posted...no WiFi in our cabin, and doors that whistled, making you get out of bed during the night to readjust the door. Our door actually locked me out on the balcony twice only to be rescued by DH. Once we reported it, someone was sent to repair it but it was never fixed completely. We just left it open a crack, especially if we were both out on the balcony.

Biggest regret...our Sunday wasn't a sea day so no Sunday brunch.

Due to internet issues, the person that we sent photos to did not receive them (sent them twice so he is likely going to be inundated with photos from the brunch when the internet signal improves).

Delicious dinner in CR -- we chose Indian food Regent does a great job in terms of spices but, due to the lack of a tandoori (not allowed on cruise ships), the naan isn't quite up to expectations.

We signed up for the Connoisseur Wine Lunch and will post the menu soon (once again, when we are assured that we have a decent connection).

IMO, it is a shame that more people do not read CC. If they did, they would have at least tried the fabulous Sunday Brunch instead of going to breakfast/lunch in other dining venues. One person (he is a CC member) didn't go to John's show last night. There are not many things that I highly recommend on Regent but I highly recommend John's show and the Explorer's Sunday brunch!

Long day. Tomorrow we are hosting people in our suite for cocktails and dinner. That should be nice!

Another way to spend your OBC's....... here is the Connoisseur Wine Lunch Menu (cost $169/person)

LOUIS ROEDERER "CRISTAL" ROSE

2007 Brut | Reims Champagne France $525

Siberian Caviar, Traditional Condiments and Fresh Blinis

TENUTA DELL ORNELLAIA POGGIO ALLE GAZZE

2014 Sauvignon Blanc Tuscany $65

Foie Gras Ravioli, Passion Fruit Sauce, Chipotle Glaze, Toasted Hazelnuts

SILVER TRIDENT "BENEVOLENT DICTATOR"

2012 Pinot Noir Russian River Valley | California $70

Blackened Tiger Prawns with Salsa Cruda

CHATEAU PALMER 3 EME CRU CLASSE

2013 Cabernet Sauvignon | Cabernet Franc | Merlot | Margaux | Bordeaux $425

Roasted Guinea Fowl with Leon and Thyme Essence, Risotto with Cranberry and Chanterelles

TOMMASI AMARONE DELLA VALPOLICELLA

2012 | Corvina | Rondinella | Molinara | Veneto $130

Gorgonzola-Crusted Grilled Black Angus Beef Tenderloin with Amarone Red Wine Sauce, Roasted Potatoes

DOLCE FARNIENTE

2010 | Semillon | Sauvignon Blanc | Napa Valley | California $95

Buccarat - Tahitian Vanilla Charlotte with Wild Berry Compote

Now it is time to go to the theater and see the Chef prepare more dishes. Following that will be another wonderful "murder" lecture (loving those lectures:halo:) Today is about the Black Dahlia (Manson soon to come).

Host Dan, to quote John Barron when we chatted about you, he said that you are a " lovely bloke", "good lad" and he sends his "best regards".

How very nice! He's a terrific guy!

Due to internet issues, the person that we sent photos to did not receive them (sent them twice so he is likely going to be inundated with photos from the brunch when the internet signal improves).

Another thread describes the wifi as "absolutely terrible". I am curious what the staff says about the reasons for the internet problems?

Another thread describes the wifi as "absolutely terrible". I am curious what the staff says about the reasons for the internet problems?

Add me to the list, if your selling it as a product during the cruise it needs to work. The staff needs to fix it or get the information to HQ at Regent.

Add me to the list, if your selling it as a product during the cruise it needs to work. The staff needs to fix it or get the information to HQ at Regent.

I'm sure someone got the word to HQ - remember, their marketing material and website used to say something like "Internet speeds rivaling the fiber-optic connections at home. Stream videos, listen to music, upload and download all the content in the universe" (okay, I may have made that last part up) but after many complaints the claims got a bit more down-to-earth.

But from what I'm hearing, it's not 'better', it's just 'less bad'. And that's not good.

I'm sure someone got the word to HQ - remember, their marketing material and website used to say something like "Internet speeds rivaling the fiber-optic connections at home. Stream videos, listen to music, upload and download all the content in the universe" (okay, I may have made that last part up) but after many complaints the claims got a bit more down-to-earth.

But from what I'm hearing, it's not 'better', it's just 'less bad'. And that's not good.

Yes that is not good or "BAD", Regent needs to get to work and give the cruiser what they are paying for - if you promote it,they should provide it.

Rick

The following pics were emailed to me by Jackie for posting and are all from the magnificent Sunday brunch with the exception of the first pic.

CD John Barron:

348e6449d051e9c553b1aa3b8e8467fa.jpg

Beautiful Serrano ham

0020e5164afb5595ea7b8858f5dfa14e.jpg

Caesar Salad

63a1e13df88ff440883493412f02f0f9.jpg

Desserts

4d392db933124b2db8f9a2a79d2d0cec.jpg

Sushi and Sashimi

a3ee12baae5bf35816362b37c8aca8c6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have done the wine lunch, and it is spectacular. Need to plan for an afternoon of sleep afterward though. You get to take some wines you would probably never purchase.

Yes - completely expecting to nap the afternoon away:D We have done it before and loved it.

"Z" - I can't believe that my photos are finally coming through. You are great (as always) for taking the time to post them. Eventually a few more will be arriving.

In terms of internet complaints........ there is more to the issue than meets the eye (IMHO). We did the exact same crossing in November and did not have the issues we are having now (nor were we having the sea difficulties). If anyone feels that they are not getting what they pay for with Regent, I strongly recommend that you try another luxury line. Most "loyal" Regent cruisers that left Regent have returned. The grass is not always greener on the other side.

In terms of this particular cruise (and somewhat on the next cruise), there are hundreds of Regent loyalists - all of whom use the internet. The internet "guru" can see the internet speeds on all ships and the Explorer is doing quite well. The main issue I have is getting photos uploaded. I am guilty of doing what I suggest other posters not do....... hogging bandwidth. Onboard internet is meant for searching the web and sending emails. If all of us used it for that purpose, there would not be the problems that we are experiencing. Okay - many of you will disagree but this thread is not about internet connectivity.

Dinner in our suite with our TA and another guest was lovely. It was so nice to get away from the crowds/noise of the restaurants. Both food and the company was perfect! Tomorrow we are having two couples in for afternoon cocktails. We are meeting many super nice people on this cruise.

Tomorrow is our last consecutive sea day and hopefully the clocks will not go ahead another hour tomorrow. We look forward to visiting Funchal again -- it is a delightful port The seas are calmer so the ship's movement is considerably less. It is important to note that we hardly felt the movement of the seas when we were in mid-ship suites. The issues were in both the forward and aft suites (aft movement is quite unusual but is due to storms at sea that were hitting the ship aft).

Bill, I am hoping that you and your family will love Explorer as much as we do. Just get onboard and enjoy every moment. Nothing is perfect but I predict that you will all have a great time (better that most people that have preconceived negative opinions of the ship). As has been discussed on CC many times, some people live in a world where the glass is half empty and others live in a world where the glass is half full (if not three quarters full). If you seek the positive, you will definitely find it!

"Z" - I can't believe that my photos are finally coming through. You are great (as always) for taking the time to post them. Eventually a few more will be arriving.

... As has been discussed on CC many times, some people live in a world where the glass is half empty and others live in a world where the glass is half full (if not three quarters full). If you seek the positive, you will definitely find it!

My pleasure and please fill my glass with Zacapa XO Rum.

Z and TB

Hi, this is Tom. I'm also on this cruise. Just a few quick thoughts.

For some reason the internet seems to be faster again. I have no idea why since we are at the same latitude.

The ship is beautiful and the food is very good. I don't see any reason why anyone would not want to book the Explorer. We were part of the special welcome aboard lunch where the food was spectacular. I think we expected all meals would be that good. They were not, but with some exceptions the food is well prepared and very special. Having three alternative restaurants is a plus.

I would caution about one issue that has been raised before. The aft elevators do not access deck four where Compass Rose and the theater are located. If you have limited mobility and can't use the stairs, do not book a cabin in the aft half of the ship. One way or another, you will have to get to the forward elevators to get to deck four.

It's a bit complicated to post pictures here. I have some on my Facebook page, especially pictures of the food. You're welcome to look at them. You don't have to friend me but you'll need to have a Facebook account.

https://www.facebook.com/tom.giusto.16

I look forward to meeting some of you I haven't yet seen.

Tom.