Cabin Steward Left Envelope for His Tip

Rebels82

I SO wish the mainstream cruise lines would bump prices appropriately across the board to "include gratuities". That is effectively what Princess does on Australian based cruises.

In North America gratuities form a significant portion of ones wages while I assume that wages generally are a bit higher in locations that generally don't tip such as Australia. Sure this can be argued because wages and standards of living vary around the world but I'm talking first world countries.

I have to assume that in Australia, Princess either pays crew more or more likely they contribute an amount to the gratuity pool somewhat equal to the gratuity amount from what is likely a bit higher cruise cost.

So, anyone who books a non Australian based Princess cruise (onboard account is in US$) and then cancels the auto gratuity because they don't tip at home IMHO is freeloading just a little bit at the crews expense.

I know, it is complicated because Princess prices in foreign currencies and sometimes those prices don't seem like much of "a bargain". Don't need to tell he that, I'm in Canada and only 2 1/2 years ago a $1000 US cruise cost us $1000 $CAD. Now it costs us $1300 CAD and it doesn't end there. Port fees are times 30% higher. Gratuities Are 30% higher. Everything spent onboard is 30% higher.

No one works at hunting out cruise deals like I do because of our current bad exchange rate and I would love to save the gratuities cost as well. Your $13.50 a day costs me $17.50 a day. BUT, I have never turned off gratuities and we almost always give a little extra to waiter, assistant waiter and room steward. The auto gratuity is the rest of their wage for providing good quality service but we have always received Excellent warm friendly service and that deserves a bit extra.

To tip or not to tip extra is your choice but unless you had a real ongoing problem with crew I think it is low to turn off the auto gratuity. We always use the envelopes from a Passenger Service and I would be happy to have them delivered to my cabin with the consummate host cards and other paperwork. No one likely complained about all the other things your cabin steward promptly brought to you during the cruise but some of you flip out about empty blank envelopes!

Slipping crew cash, while better than nothing sort of puts them on the spot. Like you are tempting them to pocket it and potentially get fired. Put it in an envelope with Crew members name (first name is fine, they can add the rest), your names and your cabin number. Saves them lots of time looking it up afterwards to confirm that you paid the auto gratuities.

Not sure why I give my opinion in these topics, it is always a good place to get flamed. Actually I do know why, to plead the extremely hard working crews case against those who think the auto gratuity is a lavish rate of pay for them. It us better pay than if they worked at home but they pay a big price in missing their family for very long periods of time to give them a better life.

AE_Collector

Edited by AE_Collector
correcting two typos after proof reading it again.

Just off the Crown. We have cruised over 20 times on other cruise lines, as well as, several on Princess. On the last full day, the cabin steward left a blank envelope with the Disembarkation info. I know in the "olden days" envelopes were given for the different departments for tips. Since the automatic tips, we have never been given an envelope to tip the steward. We have given tips to stewards in the past.

We interpreted this envelope as a suggestion for his tip and did not appreciate it.

Is this a normal thing for stewards to do?

We also just deboarded the Crown on Saturday. Our cabin steward left us several towel animals the last three days on the ship. He also left us the debarking information and luggage tags but did not include an envelope. There already was a recommendation form in the cabin which we did use as our cabin steward was fantastic. He did a great job and was always smiling and happy. We do not tip over the added gratuity by the ship.

I SO wish the mainstream cruise lines would bump prices appropriately across the board to "include gratuities."

My understanding - which might be incorrect - is that from a tax standpoint, it's advantageous to Princess not to include the gratuities in the overall cruise fare.

And reading this thread, I'm wondering what percentage of pax actually ask to have auto-tipping removed.

My understanding - which might be incorrect - is that from a tax standpoint, it's advantageous to Princess not to include the gratuities in the overall cruise fare.

The current system apparently is also advantageous for the hardworking crewmembers.

I've read that cruise lines hire companies in the employees home country to recruit & qualify them for employment. Those companies apparently receive a percentage of the employee's salary however nothing from their tip income.

Obviously I don't have their contract however I have read many posts stating the current system results in hardworking cruise ship employees receiving a higher net income than if tips were added to their base salary with a percentage going to employment companies.

I don't know exactly how TA commissions work however if based on a percentage of the cruise fare then by not adding the cost of tips cruise lines would save money by paying lower commissions to TAs. And as you said there may be other accounting considerations that results in tax savings for cruise lines.

Whatever we think of the system, it's the system in place & canceling auto tips only punishes the hardworking crew & not the cruise lines. And I would never do anything that may adversely affect the crews income.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thank you for all the information

I will discuss with my travel companion what we want to do. coming from the UK... we just don't tips for everything !

So maybe auto tipping is just easier ?

Thank you for all the insight and advice

Thank you for all the information

I will discuss with my travel companion what we want to do. coming from the UK... we just don't tips for everything !

So maybe auto tipping is just easier ?

Thank you for all the insight and advice ��

I always go with the theory "when in Rome....." I try to confirm to what is expected wherever I am.

You don't show your appreciation verbal, or otherwise, to your tour guides? Especially if the tour or guide was enjoyable? :confused:

Anyway, tips and amount, are always your choice to make, and to give or not, correct?

There are some PAX from countries who don't have a tip culture. So, as I see it, there is no harm for a tour guide to mention for you to tip if you appreciatied their service and you do give them a tip, or not. Whether the guide mentions it early, middle, end of the tour should be in no way impact your decision to tip or not. Many people are hard of hearing, pay no attention to the tour guide, or are people where tipping is not the norm in their culture.

For DW and I, we are lesser that we are in good health, and are financially able to go on cruises, and to experience other cultures and their people. A small token of our appreciation to the tour guide is no big deal for us. :)

Just wondering, were your tours in third world countries where the saleries are low?

Of course I ALWAYS tip when the level of service warrants it. Please don't assume otherwise.

I am not an el cheapo who stiffs the people who do their jobs, and give a little extra when they do them exceptionally well, and I have not and would never remove the auto tips on cruises. Additionally, I DO always give my stewards something extra at the end of each cruise. I can't recall ever NOT tipping a tour guide, as well as the driver if the guide is not also the driver, on a tour, even if the guide was less than stellar. I do tip wherever I am traveling, even in counties where tipping is not customary, because I do like to let people know that I appreciate them and what they do for me. I would consider not tipping if I were in a country where it's

considered offensive to tip.

I just think it's tacky when they assume that I need a reminder to do so!

We'd come out better if they stopped automatic tips and went back to the old system. DH likes to be too generous with tips at the end of a cruise. He does not figure out how much we've already paid the cabin steward and waiters. In the old days, it was easy to multiply the suggested daily amount and then round up. For instance, if the suggested tip per person per day was $3 to a particular person, the suggested amount ended up at $42 for a week-long cruise. We'd round this up to $50 for above average service. Now DH will tip an extra $20 or $30 instead.

I've learned that these commendations are better for crewmembers than the onboard you made a difference ones because the survey goes directly to Princess HQ. I take the time at home to commend deserving crewmembers because it can have a positive affect on their job which for some crewmembers is also their career. It can affect promotions based on job performance which can result in excellent crewmembers becoming excellent supervisory staff members. :)

Our waiter shared also this information with us --it was more valuable to them than a tip!

I would have just pitched it and thought no more whatsoever about it.

You don't give your room steward any extra tip? And if you do, how then do you do it? Without an envelope?

Enjoy your cruise. And if God wills, grant you good health, to live and not die before your next cruise.

"I cruise to eat healthy, so I can live longer."

You don't give your room steward any extra tip? And if you do, how then do you do it? Without an envelope?

When I meet my steward I introduce myself, find out my steward's name, where he is from, and if he wants, have a conversation. Some times he gives me some good info, interesting stuff, whatever.

I tell him that we are pretty low maintenance. I always bring a small cooler, and ask that it always be filled with ice. I give him/her $20 then, and during the cruise, if he/she does a good job, i provide more tips.

I do not need an envelope, just hand him/her USA greenback dollars.

When I meet my steward I introduce myself, find out my steward's name, where he is from, and if he wants, have a conversation. Some times he gives me some good info, interesting stuff, whatever.

I tell him that we are pretty low maintenance. I always bring a small cooler, and ask that it always be filled with ice. I give him/her $20 then, and during the cruise, if he/she does a good job, i provide more tips.

Thank you!

I never thought of giving a tip to the stateroom steward up front. But, I'll consider doing that on my next cruise. :)

Once again: reliable-seeming Cruise Critic information (though I'm unsure whether Princess would confirm or deny) indicates that if a steward is handed cash, rule is that he can't just pocket the cash but has to turn it in to the tipping pool. And any envelope with cash (which should have his name and the cabin number on it) gets turned in to management and then returned to him at the end of the cruise when it's confirmed you haven't opted out of auto-tip.

While I'd bet that plenty of staffers don't follow that rule, those who do would be penalized by the way you tip and those who don't and are somehow found out would presumably be disciplined. It takes less than a minute to put the money in an envelope and write your cabin number on it.

All that is from information gleaned on the board, and it's (maybe) surprising that Princess doesn't explain all that (as well as provide envelopes pre-printed with blanks for the required info). But then, nothing about the tipping process, including what share of auto-tip goes to whom, is transparent to the average passenger.

Not that anybody asked, but I'm going to put my two cents in on the (American) tipping tradition.

In spite of its history, for a long time now the customary so-called "tip" has in fact been a service charge. It is factored into the employee's salary, both on the front end (how much the employer pays) and on the back end (how it is taxed). It is neither more nor less than a fee for a service, and as such should not be withheld except in extraordinary circumstances (such as not receiving the bargained-for level of service).

Mind you, this is a stupid, convoluted way to go about things, and I would welcome its immediate end in favor of employers paying their employees the full value of their work, with the rise in costs to me the consumer which that implies. But until that happens, I will continue to "tip," perhaps somewhat on the generous side.

On a cruise which follows the American tradition, that means leaving the auto-tip in place, and possibly adding more as appropriate for exceptional service.

I don't think it is that big of a deal. I usually end up going down to the Purser's Desk to get some before the end of the cruise anyway. If you are going to leave a cash tip they want you to put it in an envelope, put your name and cabin number on it and hand it to the person you want to tip extra. Maybe the guy thought he was doing you a favor or maybe the guy in the cabin next to you requested one and he got it mixed up. I swear, the things that people gets their panties is a wad over. It is an envelope. He didn't solicit anything. You are making a mountain out of a molehill.

Last two posts are two of the best so far! Well said Yosef42, like I said but in a lot less space! And notentirelynormal seems very normal to me.

As someone said a couple of pages back, some people are looking for an excuse to not tip. "I would have until I found he had left an envelope in my cabin. How Rude!".

AE_Collector

Edited by AE_Collector

We are from UK. We were going to turn off auto tipping and tip based on service.

We are on anytime dining.

We will tip waiter and cabin attendant.

Is that OK? .

From the Princess website:

"HOW DO GRATUITIES WORK?

To simplify the tipping process for our passengers, a discretionary gratuity charge will be automatically added to your shipboard account on a daily basis. The daily gratuity amounts are $15.50 per guest for suites, $14.50 per guest for mini-suites and club class, and $13.50 per guest for interior, oceanview, and balcony staterooms. This gratuity will be shared amongst those staff who have helped provide and support your cruise experience, including all waitstaff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, and housekeeping staff across the fleet. A 15% gratuity is added to bar charges and dining room wine accounts."

So if you're ok with stiffing all the other employees besides your steward and waitstaff (assuming you have Traditional Dining), go ahead. Just remember that buffet servers, housekeepers in public areas, and others will not get their meager share.

Thank you!

I never thought of giving a tip to the stateroom steward up front. But, I'll consider doing that on my next cruise. :)

Giving money at the beginning of the cruise is called a bribe. Giving money at the end of the cruise for good service is called a tip.

Not that anybody asked, but I'm going to put my two cents in on the (American) tipping tradition.

In spite of its history, for a long time now the customary so-called "tip" has in fact been a service charge. It is factored into the employee's salary, both on the front end (how much the employer pays) and on the back end (how it is taxed). It is neither more nor less than a fee for a service, and as such should not be withheld except in extraordinary circumstances (such as not receiving the bargained-for level of service).

Mind you, this is a stupid, convoluted way to go about things, and I would welcome its immediate end in favor of employers paying their employees the full value of their work, with the rise in costs to me the consumer which that implies. But until that happens, I will continue to "tip," perhaps somewhat on the generous side.

On a cruise which follows the American tradition, that means leaving the auto-tip in place, and possibly adding more as appropriate for exceptional service.

I second your post.

Giving money at the beginning of the cruise is called a bribe.

Call it what you wish. Just understand that "bribes" are incredibly effective and work. Also, if my steward is good, I give him "bribes" throughout the cruise.

. Giving money at the end of the cruise for good service is called a tip.

I also tip my steward at the end,

Call it what you wish. Just understand that "bribes" are incredibly effective and work. Also, if my steward is good, I give him "bribes" throughout the cruise.

I also tip my steward at the end,

It's sort of like using behavior modification techniques.

"I cruise to eat healthy, and to live longer."